Possible new ?400m Titan Prison on Omega Site ????

Dizzy

Well, I cannot deny that Obs but at some point a Minister or similar is going to have instruct a back-room johnny to spray this with a sheen of planning respectability. Mind you, I doubt that there would be a rational debate even then - particularly when one considers the woeful state of WBC committee reports. Who decided that dumbing everything down to the point where a 3 year old would be embarrassed reading them was a good thing :?:

Oops, sorry... I forgot the Members had to be able to have a go at reading the reports :D

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just reading the little farticle by Jo Crotty, I'd love to see the evidence on which she bases her assertion that the presence of a Titan prison would deter investors in the area. You'd get investment, just not high-tech investment :!:

And what are you basing your opinions on? What investment would you get? Why would IT investment be less likely than retail for example?

And why is IT a bad thing, we will become more and more technologically advanced as years go by, so attracting the IT industry to Warrington is a long term plan, not a short term stop gap because criminals are one of the few a growth industries. :roll:

If the IT industry was remotely interested in Warrington it would have been here long before now. The fact is that Warrington does not have the necessary links to established centres of excellence and learning that places like Cambridge does and so the IT sector will continue to focus on such locations. IT is a "knowledge" based sector - and Warrington isn't exactly storming up the league tables in that regard is it.

If the IT industry was remotely interested in Warrington it would have been here long before now. The fact is that Warrington does not have the necessary links to established centres of excellence and learning that places like Cambridge does and so the IT sector will continue to focus on such locations. IT is a "knowledge" based sector - and Warrington isn't exactly storming up the league tables in that regard is it.

We have a PC World.... :lol::lol:

There used to be quite a few IT and high tech companies in Birchwood. They were mainly based around the BNFL/UKAEA site and, I'm thinking, were attracted by the skills base in the area.

They're mostly all gone now, and we no longer have a big high-tech employer in the town to form a kernal. Daresbury Science Campus does some exciting stuff, but since they lost out to Cambridge on the big accelerator they're not really an international centre of excellence.

Warrington is more and more becoming a service sector town. Prisons are service sector, I suppose.

The BNFL/UKAEA site was responsible for the biggest influx of "newcomers" to the area which suggests the required skills were not available from locals.
Of course not, as they were new, it takes time for the skills and experience to be built up, firsdt you need to attract the industry, then you need to train your youngsters in the skills to supply that industry.

Growing up in Aberdeen, many was the gripe that "all the good jobs go to Yanks and Guffys"(in the oil industry), but fast forward 20 years and you'll see that predominantly these self same positions are now filled by Aberdonians, indeed Schlumberger (the world #1) is now run by an Aberdonian.

You need to plant acorns to grow the trees......

There used to be quite a few IT and high tech companies in Birchwood. They were mainly based around the BNFL/UKAEA site and, I'm thinking, were attracted by the skills base in the area.

They're mostly all gone now, and we no longer have a big high-tech employer in the town to form a kernal. Daresbury Science Campus does some exciting stuff, but since they lost out to Cambridge on the big accelerator they're not really an international centre of excellence.

Warrington is more and more becoming a service sector town. Prisons are service sector, I suppose.

No longer have Daresbury Science park either seeing that it's in Runcorn :roll:

From the Royal Mail Site:

The first one or two letters is the postcode area and it identifies the main Royal Mail sorting office which will process the mail. In this case EC would go to the Mount Pleasant sorting office in London.

The second part is usually just one or two numbers but for some parts of London it can be a number and a letter. This is the postcode district and tells the sorting office which delivery office the mail should go to.

This third part is the sector and is usually just one number. This tells the delivery office which local area or neighbourhood the mail should go to.

The final part of the postcode is the unit code which is always two letters. This identifies a group

of up to 80 addresses and tells the delivery office which postal route (or walk) will deliver the item.

Hope this helps :D

When trojan first stated that Daresbury Science park was in Runcorn he was correct. For some reason inky pete said that he must mean Halton. Halton is made up of several post codes including WA4 WA7 WA8 and L24 in the case of Hale Village. They refer to the sorting office for that location. However the second part of the post code then helps to define the geographical location. I stated that with a WA4 post code Daresbury Science Park is in the Runcorn part of Halton as opposed to WA8 - Widnes or L24 -Hale. The fact that WA4 covers other areas was irrelevant. However it is interesting to note that post codes have been widely adopted not just for their original purpose of automating the sorting of mail but for many other purposes such as insurance premium calculations and as a way to describe United Kingdom locations and addresses.

:roll: