Less school holidays?

observer

Kids deserve their breaks. Please... no more talk of longer hours in school :shock:

Mine has 5 lessons a day with tiny breaks in between and a 35 minute lunch break 5 days a week not to mention the huge amount of homework nearly every night/weekend.

Personally I would say that if a kid can't read or write by the time it gets to high school.... they are plain and simple; good old fashoined THICK. No one can tell me otherwise.

The problem of course is that they then become unemployable as employers demand increasing levels of skills.

It might be that in the early years of education the curriculum is actually too broad, and maybe it needs to be narrowed to learning the basic skills that academic education is built on...i.e. reading, writing and numeracy. It might be rather mundane, but it is unacceptable and very worrying in this day and age to have large numbers of our young people who are in effect illiterate and innumerate.

Paul, you've added another reason for adding more time at school; they have added to the curriculum over recent years (EG. citizenship etc); which means traditional subjects are squeezed; thus another arguement for less holidays. :wink: Baz: no one is that "thick", that they are beyond being improved by education; it's about bringing everyone up to a capacity to operate to the best of their ability; and even the thickest can be taught to read and write; as Paul says; it's not for their own sake, but for the sake of our Nation's competitivness in a global economic rat race. :roll::wink:

I am not a teacher in the UK - but I do think the students are in school long enough over here.

In California they do not get a whole 2 months off at one time , instead they are given 2 week vacations spread out across one whole year. I think it does help the student retain information better.

The real problem with the system is too many people making too many decisions that have not actually been in the classroom of late - everything and anything can look good on paper, but get in the classroom for a while before you make sweeping changes!

The problems with the state education system are too many & too complex to simplify in one post but IMO the main (but by no means only)reason that children fail to attain a basic level of education is that they have no desire to. I would suggest that in the majority of cases this is down to the indifference of their parents / parent & current uncle.

At my children's school the late arrivals are inevitably the same ones day in & day out, not just late but making no attempt to rush to get there on time; invariably also these children are the ones who are struggling with their school work. I have a number of friends who work shifts & so sometimes take their kids out of school for 5 to 10 days towards the end of sumer term for their annual holiday; then their are other children who are inevitably "ill" for a couple of weeks before the summer holidays in order to take advantage of cheaper holiday prices. Guess which parents are the ones who complain that the teachers aren't doing anything for their children?