Bigger Blue bins!!!!

Peter T

All my neighbours put their old blue bins out today, as did half of Thelwall and Grappenhall from what I could see. I didn't put mine out because the leaflet said they will be taken away on the next due paper collection day - in 2 weeks time.

All my neighbours' old blue bins were still lining the street at 6 p.m. :roll:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I moved to Grappenhall nearly two years ago, I had a small blue bin and a green one both of which were full of builders rubble, they went in a skip and the Council supplied me with new green one, now full of rubble again ( not mine) and no small blue bin at the time, no doubt they new their future plans. There does seem to be an awful lot of the small blue bins hanging around on peoples fronts having followed intructions and people leaving them handy for collection that seems to be rather slow in happening.

We've had our shiney now big blue bins for about a month now, mines full and its yet to be emptied .....................why I am not suprised, if thats how its going to be then people will just give up and put everything back in the black bins. It's a shame because as a none driver I found the whole "door step" recycling thing a great idea and have been happy to do it, my black bin has hardly anything in it, lets hope its just teething probs, but why am I nervous its probably more than that :roll:

I too live in Grappenhall and the blue bins round here were all emptied last Wednesday (1 Oct) as it stated on the leaflet I received through the door. Pretty much all the houses in our road put their bins out and it all worked fine. The problem we have is that I have absolutely no idea when they will pick up my old one, have read and re-read the information and it's not clear. Originally thought that it was with the last collection, didn't happen so am now thinking it might be when it should have been emptyied in October if the rules hadn't changed but really am not sure.

By the way, Tilly, who is filling your bins with rubble, you need to have a word.

Hi Alison

I know who it is but it isn't some one you can have word with as it were, not on such a subject anyway, there would be fireworks, it just wouldn't be worth it and the message I would be trying to put across would be lost on them as they have the intellegance of a newt and that is not fair on newts, and I have no proof but I have a plan to bit by bit transport my rubble to their bin, I just need them to go on holiday - very naughty of me I know BUT everyone on my road knows who it is, its not area that is accessed by the public or that the public would know existed ( our bins live at the back of our gardens) and one would need suitable transport to move rubble like erm.... now then I wonder, builders rubble maybe??? I'll my get own back, revenge how ever is a dish served cold and should not be at ones own cost :wink:

The problem we have is that I have absolutely no idea when they will pick up my old one, have read and re-read the information and it's not clear. Originally thought that it was with the last collection, didn't happen so am now thinking it might be when it should have been emptyied in October if the rules hadn't changed but really am not sure.

May I quote from the leaflet?

"Your old smaller blue bin with the words: SULO printed upon it will be removed between 30th September and 31st October from your property.

The bin will be emptied and removed on the same day. This day will be your normal scheduled paper collection day between the two dates shown above. Please leave your bin out as normal, even if it is empty."

My next scheduled paper collection day is October 17th. That is the day they will remove my bin. Your day will be on the calendar on your bin lid.

The problem we have is that I have absolutely no idea when they will pick up my old one, have read and re-read the information and it's not clear. Originally thought that it was with the last collection, didn't happen so am now thinking it might be when it should have been emptyied in October if the rules hadn't changed but really am not sure.

May I quote from the leaflet?

"Your old smaller blue bin with the words: SULO printed upon it will be removed between 30th September and 31st October from your property.

The bin will be emptied and removed on the same day. This day will be your normal scheduled paper collection day between the two dates shown above. Please leave your bin out as normal, even if it is empty."

My next scheduled paper collection day is October 17th. That is the day they will remove my bin. Your day will be on the calendar on your bin lid.

By the time we get to this date we will already have had our new bin emptied twice so quite why there would be anything in our old bin is quite beyond me. Surely it would have made far more sense to have picked them up at the same time as they were emptied for the last time ie about 3 weeks ago in my case. The point I was making (badly) was that the literature was confused and could (and should) have been worded a lot better.

Small blue bins removed around 11am. Although one was not(I don't know why), so it will be interesting to see what happens to it.

Also, I note that the odd house has not moved their new blue bin to the rear of their property.

One close by, "belongs" to a young'un who is separated from his partner and maybe doesn't eat or drink, and thus sees no need for him to have one. :roll:

Up to Press most of the old blue bins are still out, on our street (mine isn't). They have now been there for 5 days and they're not due to be collected for another 10. I don't think the owners dare take them in, in case they miss the collection.

Today was green bin day and all we gardeners put ours out, except a chap up the road who never gets it right and has had his out for a week. They have all been emptied and most of us have swapped them for the black bins, due to be emptied tomorrow, but I noticed 2 people have also put out their big blue bins too - and they're not due to be emptied again until next Wednesday. :shock:

I can remember when the bin-men came into your back garden and carried your bin out to the waiting lorry, emptied it, then carried it back again. If you had any rubbish that wouldn't fit in your bin, you just left it next to the bin and they took it. H & S hadn't been dreamed up then but the bin-men didn't seem to suffer unduly and it all seemed to work smoothly. :roll:

Ah, Kate, but the difference being that those bins were metal and probably half full of cinders and ash, which would make them heavy.

They would sling them onto their back without a moan from any of them.

These wimps who collect these days wouldn't have the strength or ability to do it like that. :roll:

I finally got my new blue bin today :D

They were all delivered to the front of our terraces... which was good as we all knew we had got them :wink: (If I'm honest it was the noise they made when they threw them off the back of the lorry that allerted me.. and THANKS to the young delivery bloke who sniffed and spat twice on my wall as he passed, YES I SAW YOU :roll::?)

Anyway although the bin lids wouldn't close I sorted mine within an hour with a strategically placed a heavy object and some sellotape.. easy peasy :D (a possible solution to the problem that the afore mentioned deliverer had maybe :lol: )

What really bugged me though was the number of people who just dragged the new bins from the front to the service road round the back and have just left them there with all the other 'forever left out' bins :evil:

And to make matters worse those who didn't remember to leave their old ones out for final collection last week have now put their old blue ones out aswell in the hope that someone will come back and take them away :roll:

Anyway I've been happily using my new bin today and it is a good idea in theory although I'm still not entirely sure what exactly I can put in it without running the risk of it not being emptied or me contaminating the recycling process :shock:

Don't think I'll put my house number on it (as recommended) just in case :shock::wink::P

Anyway I will happily sort my waste from now on and hope that my bit helps a little towards recycling and of course reducing Warrington's landfill and cost problems :D:wink:

Hi Dismayed, no they're not trespassing, I didn't explain correctly, there is a road that's not a road along the back of our houses - access purposes only kind of road, we all leave our bins, all 43 per house at the back out side our gates, if that makes sense. There's no room in our gardens!! :):roll::wink:

Hi Dismayed, no they're not trespassing, I didn't explain correctly, there is a road that's not a road along the back of our houses - access purposes only kind of road, we all leave our bins, all 43 per house at the back out side our gates, if that makes sense. There's no room in our gardens!! :):roll::wink:

Not much sympathy then I'm afraid cos if you actually put your bins away then the culprit wouldn't be able to put his/her rubble in your bin, although I do appreciate the inconvenience of having two large bins in a confined garden space at times but it's not that hard. :roll:

We have service roads round here too where many people leave all their bins out all week long too. It always looks a blummin' mess and attracts yobs who like to scatter them (and rats). In addition there are problems like you mention of 'others' using your bins and of course it is also a fire hazzard hence the fire service issuing leaflets about the risks.

A lot of councils do already fine people for leaving their bins out other than on collection day as it's 'illegal' although WBC have been trying the more subtle approach :?

I wonder what amount of newspaper you are allowed to put in these bins before the wimps decide that they are too heavy to move.

Mine is about a quarter full, and fairly weighty to shift. (they don't seem as balanced as the black ones)

Do we have? to put them out fortnightly? or leave them until they are full of paper as with the old one?