Bigger Blue bins!!!!

Peter T

The old small blue bin will either be recycled or left (on request) so you can use them as a water butte or whatever.

LD

No guarantee that they will be left, so another suggestion would be to not leave it out, the new one will get delivered anyway, and then transfer the paper from the old one to the new one.

Water Butt :shock: , potentially very dangerous if there are young children around.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fInaly emptied my blue bin the other day...its the first time since we had it, when leaving for work I noticed some other blues out in the street and thought I'd give it a shot.

Reason being, I had never been told what day they were collected on, as for the green bin, it took me a while to work out what it was for, although thats been emptied only once for the same reasons as above.

Alas I think not Peter. That is because it all gets a bit messy when it is sorted. But I do stand to be corrected. :wink:

It is worth noting that for security reasons we are being encouraged to shred paperwork with important personal details on. :?

All that being said, I think the new big blue bin is a very good idea. Wonder where it is all going to be sorted, wasn't it going to be at Woolston.....until planning permission was rejected.

The leaflet for the new blue bins says 'NO SHREDDED PAPER' :roll:

I thought I'd read it wrong but alas no !

Like you say Paul we are all encouraged to shred our paperwork I so guess none of it will get recycled from now and will go straight to landfill :roll:

You also can't put yoghurt pots or margarine tubs in the new blue bins and something called 'tetra pac' (no idea what that is and there was no explanation).

Everything has to be rinsed and squashed flat if it can be :wink:

Tetra Pak is the cardboard milk cartons with the opening flaps at the top (oooooeeeerrrr missus) The current heir or whatever was in the news recently when him and his wife were found in possesion of a few thousand quids worth of class "A" drugs and got away with it!

...answering my own query re Tetra Pac....

It appears to be the cartons that milk and orange juice drinks etc etc come in. Never knew they had a name and I'd have put them straight in my blue bin if I hadn't looked it up :shock::?

According to the Tetra Pac website the only local authorities in the North-West who are collecting them with kerb-side collections are Bolton, Oldam and Congleton infact kerbside collection is low across the whole county.

Warrington does have recycling banks at the following locations though

Gateworth Tip. Woolston Community Recycling Centre, Burtonwood Community Centre Bring Site, Hatton Arms Bring Site and Tesco Bring Site, Winwick Road.

Paul

I think the planning refusal for waste reclamation at Woolston was a landscaping company that had plans for soil recovery and they just happen to operate near to the tip.

I haven?t got a clue where the waste is going to be processed but wherever it is I think it would have to be a sizeable affair if it?s going to deal with the whole town?s rubbish. I?m surprised this question?s not already been raised. :roll:

Bill :)

Interesting (if that's the right word :shock: ) programme on ITV tonight called 'A Ribbish Service'.

It was all about Local Authority single kerb side collections of mixed waste and how a lot of it isn't actually recycled at all due to the costs involved of seperation and handling etc.

One chap in England was traced after a paper invoice that he placed in his recylcling bin was found 5000 miles away dumped on India farmland ... guess he should have shredded it :wink:

Joking aside it seemed like a lot of rubbish from such mixed waste bins finished up as 'contaminated bales' and was sold to uk brokers for export and dumping in similar countries although it is apparently illegal for LA's to export it for dumping :?::wink:

Not sure if the programme is available on line but here's the write up which is worth a read

http://www.itv.com/News/tonight/episodes/Arubbishservice/default.htm

Apparantly we are not allowed to put shredded paper in our new blue bins.

Does that mean that they are now expecting me to put everything I receive with my name and address and account numbers on straight into the bin?

Guess my shredded paper will have to go into the black bin from now on.

.... don't worry it (I'm forever doing the same :lol: )

..... it is blummin' stupid that all shredded paper will now have to be put in our black bins and sent to landfill. I suppose the other option is to take it to the local recycling paper collection bins but sort of defeats the object of the new blue bins :?

One step forward and two steps back eh :roll:

I have a cornflake dish at home so can I not put mi shredded wheat in it. :roll:

Heard on the telly the other night that apparently there?s a world shortage of wheelie bins. Wonder if wheelie bins are recycled into new wheelie bins and if so what?s the point? :roll:

Or maybe sold onto third world countries as mobile homes for migrant pigmies? Imagine that;

?Nice caravan you got there shorty but what made you go for blue??

?Well only one previous owner and apparently hardly used. The doors a bit awkward but you get used to it?

?See it carries the WBC badge, nice one.?

?Yeah, I had a GMC one before this but the wheel kept falling off and the spares were impossible to get!?

"At least you didn't go for black, I hear they're a bugger to keep clean."

"Enough of this small talk, lets go for a quick half of waga-waga juice"

Interesting (if that's the right word :shock: ) programme on ITV tonight called 'A Ribbish Service'.

It was all about Local Authority single kerb side collections of mixed waste and how a lot of it isn't actually recycled at all due to the costs involved of seperation and handling etc.

One chap in England was traced after a paper invoice that he placed in his recylcling bin was found 5000 miles away dumped on India farmland ... guess he should have shredded it :wink:

Joking aside it seemed like a lot of rubbish from such mixed waste bins finished up as 'contaminated bales' and was sold to uk brokers for export and dumping in similar countries although it is apparently illegal for LA's to export it for dumping :?::wink:

Not sure if the programme is available on line but here's the write up which is worth a read

http://www.itv.com/News/tonight/episodes/Arubbishservice/default.htm

By coincidence :wink: I asked a question at Full Council on that very matter. Clr Litton assures me that none of WBC recyclable waste is landfilled or exported.

A resident rang me yesterday as he had seen the programme as well, able to give him a positive answer. :D

We had ours delivered this morning. I had to smile, the lid is two inches from flat. I asked the bloke about this and he said that is because of the way they are stacked inside the wagon, and it will go flat after a couple of days.

It will be interesting to see if they get emptied if the lid hasn't gone flat.

Also, they don't give them to corner shops, who have flats and tenants.

I wonder what they are supposed to do? :?

I?m sure the cost of the bins is small compared to the long-term cost of providing the service but at least it?s council spending that most people can see a direct benefit from.

Changing tack slightly, the wife just ticked me off for throwing potato peelings into the green rather than grey bin, so without any lectures on composting, who?s right and who?s wrong on this? :roll: I say potato peelings are just part of a plant and therfor go into the green one.

I think the term kitchen waste covers a whole range of stuff but common sense tells me that things like the outer leaves of cabbage, lettuce or any uncooked vegetable matter should go into the green bin.

The trouble is David, as the wife says, ?it might be common sense but the bin men these days only need half an excuse to refuse to empty a bin.? I think her comments were as a result of a recent incident with the son in law when the bin men refused to empty his green bin claiming that a very small quantity of lawn edging was classed as turf.

I?m all for doing my best to reduce landfill but it?s a shame that fear of fines may cause others to be less conscientious.