Bred to death -

observer

In the thirties eugenics culminated in the Nazi philosophy of the superiority of the Aryan Race, something that most found abhorent. Most societies believe incest to be taboo - well that's talking about the human species. :shock: However, when it comes to our canine pets; inbreeding appears to be acceptable; indeed the pedigree standards set by the Kennel Club insist upon it; at the behest of breeders who no doubt stand to make a lot of money out of it. :evil: Ironically, what started as a process of breeding the best for function, has degenerated into breeding freaks for show; freaks because most pedigree breeds now carry genetic abnormalities, which can cause pain and premature death to our pets. :cry: Some breeds, even show champions, have been sired by their brothers, fathers and even grand-fathers, passing on those inherent genetic defects - all in the name of a so-called beauty competition called Crufts. :roll:

I heard that woman on R2 yesterday and no one picked up on a funny comment which went something like.

"this particular breed (sausage dog I think) has been bred in such away that it can now no longer reproduce"

to which I would have replied.. "Well that solves that problem then" :wink:

personaly I would outlaw pedigree breeding full stop, but I don't realy give a monkeys about animals (pun intended), not that I would see any harm come to one, but it gets my goat (pun intended) that people get in such a state ove animal wellfare and ignore the trouble that children atre in worldwide.

:( Just as a matter of interest Syringomyelia which is common in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels - as shown on the programme-also occurs in humans but they have not established a genetic link yet (in humans that is - not enough research has been done yet as it is a relatively unknown condition)

It affects roughly 1 in 10000 people but many people do not know they have it until they suffer neurological symptoms but they may have had back pain for years and been wrongly diagnosed.

It can occur as a result of injury or as a result of the brain being too big for their heads(as in the case of the dogs) It can also occur alongside Spina Bifida or Hydrocephalus.

There is no cure but brain surgery can relieve some of the symptoms (remove some of the skull to give more space for the brain thus putting less pressure on the spinal cord and freeing up the flow of spinal fluid - it is the blocking of this that causes the problems)

My daughter aged 15 was diagnosed with the same condition in January of this year and was operated on to try to prevent escalating symptoms

Saw both progs. The pedigree breeding program was a bit of a shocker and the bloke from the Kennel Club and indeed the other idiotic breeders definately knew what was going. Nothing more than a money making scam with no care whatsoever for the dogs or breeds and that it is not right (in my opinion). As for the 'Ridgeback' woman.. well SHE should be culled like the pups who don't have the tell tale ridge :evil: ... which is a apparently a form of Spina Bifida :shock: ... the 100 % healthy pups have NO ridge and THEY are the ones which are disgarded and often killed so that the trait does not carry on into other litters. Figure that one out :evil:

Anyway, before I go off on one and get really grumpy the programme last night with Martin Clunes was really good but missed the first part.

Didn't know the chap with the wolves was in Devon :shock: Now was he just mad or a wolf in the form of a man..... he was not the alpha or beta 'dog' in the pack but the mediator :shock: brave or stupid, make your own mind up, but I certainly would NOT put my head between two wolves to divert their attention when they were getting grumpy with each other at feeding time. Did work though (luckily for him)

Anyone know if this program is to be repeated as my family don't believe me that the singing dingo and other dingos shown look exactly the same as our families unknown crossbreed stray :shock:

• 5 weeks later...

being a dog lover and an owner of two pedigree dogs disagree in what your saying....when you have a pedigree dog you tend to have an idea of exactly what nature of dog your looking for......there are lovely mongrel dogs but you arent too sure of what your getting...but i agree certain dogs are bred knowing full well they are going to have breathing problems....my advice to anybody looking for a dog research the breed and get exactly what your looking for in a dog...and take good care of it...

:wink:

Think you'll find that most, if not all, "pedigree" dogs have genetic "defects" due to the vary nature of in-breeding; my favourite, the GSD has defective back legs and is liable to hip displacement. :cry:

Much prefer mongrels, they:-

Look unique.

Normally have better health.

Cost less to buy.

Are readily available.

Are cheaper to insure.

Are less likely to be stolen.

And if bought through the RSPCA all the vaccinations are up to date.

:D:wink:

If only wolves were readily availabe as family pets eh (tamed of course).... I'd love one, they are fantastic creatures.

Guess they wouldn't really be true wolves then though :cry:

Apparently every dog is a decendant of the Wolf anyway so I suppose in a way I do have one :D

:D:wink:

If only wolves were readily availabe as family pets eh (tamed of course).... I'd love one, they are fantastic creatures.

Guess they wouldn't really be true wolves then though :cry:

Apparently every dog is a decendant of the Wolf anyway so I suppose in a way I do have one :D

you could always try giving Wolfie a stroke Dismayed :wink: