Beware cyclists - new road "surface" a nuisance

RENT-A-GOAT

Does anyone know what they are doing down the A57 (Manchester road)? At present contractors appear to have just covered the road in small stones, which not only make it like riding through treacle, but also very dangerous when hand shakers in their big BMW X5's come racing past causing stones to "chip up" at you :? Not to mention the stone damage it does to your car. It has been like this for a week now.

I hope WBC are not planning on leaving this road in it's current unsafe state! :shock:

It's called re-surfacing and the travelling cars then aid the compacting of the small stones over a couple of weeks :P If you drive carefully the stones wont chip.. well that's the theory anyway :wink:

If anyone is mad enough to drive a BMW X5 over it at speed then all I can say is that it must be a company car :shock::wink:

• 3 weeks later...

This website (http://www.rsda-gb.co.uk/about_sd.htm) outlines what WBC have gone for along this stretch of road so it would seem they are leaving the road in it's current appauling state :x

Nice one WBC - make an already unsafe road even worse for cyclist.

And they want more people to leave the car at home :roll: At least you will get to work in one piece

yes resurfacing is a good thing...you know !

except when they take to long, but the usual stone chip that you speak of is done very quickly usualy, makes the road flatter and helps drainage, grip and reduces stopping distance.

even cyclist will benefit from this when they decide that riding 4 feet out from the kerb because in 800 yards they plan on turning right or have decided to ride in the imaginary lane aside their mate, it means motorist can stop safely behind them before giving them a mouthful on the highway code.

The stone chipping surface is actually a poor substitute for doing the job properly, i.e. repairing the road sub-base to prevent settlement and rippling at edges, poor camber etc. What normally happens is that all of the loose stone chippings form a small berm at the edge of the road which represent a major hazard to road cyclists (i.e those riding a racing bike, not the fat-tyred mountain bikes).

As for improving drainage - not really, if there is a channel worn into the road, a new 6mm thick skin of loose stones is not going to help much.

even cyclist will benefit from this when they decide that riding 4 feet out from the kerb because in 800 yards they plan on turning right or have decided to ride in the imaginary lane aside their mate

As these stones don't compact near the edges of the road where any competent cyclist would venture, then you're right - perhaps cyclists should ride 4 feet out where the stones ARE compacted and dont present a hazard :wink:

As a driver (and as someone who does pay car tax & insurance yet leaves the car on the drive, contrary to some anti-cyclist's beliefs), I am all for maintaining the roads. However as McBain points out this should be done properly and not by painting over the cracks. Otherwise we are just being ripped off :x

Well here in Longshaw Street we have just had our roads "properly" resurfaced. the project was estimated to take 11 weeks starting last december, they dug the roads down to their original cobbles, closed half the road throught the worst weather and bridge flooding chaos ensued as predicted by me on here some time before, the one way system had peoples journeys for some streets in dallam increased by nearly two miles for the 800 yard stretch from the bridge if flooded.

The 11 week project was still ongoing 25 weeks later.

now while I accept that "propper" resurfacing is how it should be done, there is also a requirement for light maintenence in the interim such as the resurfacing we are talking about.

otherwise warrington indeed all roads would be at a standstill.

we don't build a new house every time we need to redecorate do we, theres interim upkeep between major overhalls.

As these stones don't compact near the edges of the road where any competent cyclist would venture, then you're right - perhaps cyclists should ride 4 feet out where the stones ARE compacted and dont present a hazard

No, even better, us gas guzzling motorist should drive closer to your competant cyclist to help in your compacting :wink: