Our REAL roots

Latchford Locks

After all the razamataz of the franchise anouncements,just watch this video to remind us all where our games true roots and tradition really lie.It's not pretty but it's about a passion for our sport that seems to be sold now for the"Expansionist"Shilling !

what you may call a real eye opener............

Looks like the 70's judging from the 'taches and whiskers although the interview with the Doncaster official was framed by a Dansette record player with a knob missing !! They were around in the 50's. I wouldn't like to go back to those days but perhaps Doncaster then wasn't a true reflection of those days. That time was also the era of Ossie Davis AJ Murphy and the period we last won owt worthwhile. Perhaps the game has gone too far the other way with the corporate sponsorship, the formulated way the game is now played with too much emphasis given to brute force and much of the old skills consigned to the mists of time. When I started watching the game I hadn't a clue who the Wire coach was, nor was I very much bothered. The only official of the club I knew by name was Bob Anderton who I think was chairman. He was very old and used to sit up in the stand and most of the time he looked as if he had passed away and nobody had noticed, only when he occasionally blinked was it apparent he was still living. Business and development plans had no place in the game but now supporters talk like first year business graduates at some former polytechnic which is now a university. The game is becoming an elitist club for a very small number of clubs with the old clubs we all grew up with very likely to go to the wall. I'll probably watch the game for the next couple of seasons but my interest is waning fast unfortunately.

Trouble is when clubs like Doncaster get into bed with their footballing neighbours it always ends in tears Sheffield are the latest example as Rotherham exert their financial clout over their lesser bretheren,even Wigan had to drastically change their fixtures to accomodate the needs of Prem Soccer,don't want to see it happen but I feel Donny's future at Keepmoat is always going to be tenuous living in the shadow of the round ball untill they merge with ermmmmmmm(saying nowt) or even worse fold.

http://www.totalrl.com/fansforum/index.php?showtopic=48596

Most of my mates grew up with the game from being little kids. We played down the park in summer kicking lumps off each other and in the winter we'd play tick rugby under street lights for hours on end. The corporate side of the game attracts Johnny-come-lately's to the sport and when interest wanes or a better freebie crops up somewhere else they'll be off. You've got to catch them young and a good move would be, in the fixtures which aren't likely to be a sell out let kids under 10 in for free.

Yes Latch I remember Huyton and Piggy Fletcher. The funniest incident in RL must be when somebody nicked his wig from the dressing room. He was uber sensitive about his syrup even though if he paid more than ten bob for it he'd been done, it was terrible.

Yes Latch I remember Huyton and Piggy Fletcher. The funniest incident in RL must be when somebody nicked his wig from the dressing room. He was uber sensitive about his syrup even though if he paid more than ten bob for it he'd been done, it was terrible.

Is this our light fingered culprit?

jeff_van_gundy_toupee.jpg

:D:D:D