Spelling "truely atrosious," says academic

Mary

Embaressed by yor spelling? Never you mind.

Fed up with his students' complete inability to spell common English correctly, a British academic has suggested it may be time to accept "variant spellings" as legitimate.

Rather than grammarians getting in a huff about "argument" being spelled "arguement" or "opportunity" as "opertunity," why not accept anything that's phonetically (fonetickly anyone?) correct as long as it can be understood?

"Instead of complaining about the state of the education system as we correct the same mistakes year after year, I've got a better idea," Ken Smith, a criminology lecturer at Bucks New University, wrote in the Times Higher Education Supplement.

"University teachers should simply accept as variant spelling those words our students most commonly misspell."

:shock::roll:

I totally disagree with this idea. Surely it is just as easy to spell correctly as it is to spell simply as it sounds. This is just another example of slipping standards where "near enough" is acceptable. It could be, of course, that a lot of the English teachers can't spell either !!!

...or maybe the problem is that a lot of teachers aren't English :wink::shock:

What difference does that make? When I was at Bewsey Primary School and then at the Grammar School we were taught to spell correctly at all times. You learnt the strange words such as column and necessary etc. It was the same when we were taught French. Emphasis was always put onto the spelling of words regardless of what language they were.

Just because a teacher is Polish or Asian or whatever nationality; doesn't mean they shouldn't know how to spell correctly.

As has been said, yet another example of slipping standards and the "easy life" mentality of the teaching profession as a whole; regardless of nationality

Just because a teacher is Polish or Asian or whatever nationality; doesn't mean they shouldn't know how to spell correctly.

Eh.... guess that's fine as long as the Polish, Asian or 'whatever' teacher can spell in English and fully understand the use of English grammar (unlike me of course :lol: ) :?

My son's primary school had some mid-day assistants who could not speak English... he found that very odd. How can they assist if they don't really understand ?

Crazy.

Typical of things today.

Standards are not maintained or even improved. Everywhere you go, the majority of people don't give a monkeys about giving a professional service.

Perhaps if the children were taught properly, the situation would not arise.

However, the problem goes far deeper than that.

It seems that a large number of children go to Primary school, lacking any communication skills whatsoever. and before they can be taught the normal stuff, they have to be taught how to speak and communicate. And there is a lack of funding for this.

If parents are ill-educated, it tends to be re-cycled in their children; which calls for the strengthening and support for deprived families, and possibily the social re-inforcement of the very concept of "family". :? The problem is; instead of aiming to bring everyone UP to an high standard, this Government as presided over the dumbing down of standards and expectations to the lowest common denominator. :roll::wink:

Taking this subject a stage further, I have just returned from taking my dog for a walk on the local field. A woman was calling to her dog to heel. She shouted "Spensoh, cum ee yoh" Yes, I could understand that she was saying "Spencer, come here" but if she was asked to write this down, which would she use?

Well I do not agree with this teacher at all! It does seem like when people had to struggle just to get an education - they took advantage of it and learned. Now it is compulsory - they could care less. Add the fact that a few generations I don't care attitudes and I am not surprised that this teacher offered an alternative.

Victor I agree with you! :wink:

In my little family circle, grandads had and have a major input before Primary School. My grandfather taught me the basics, my father helped my kids and I am carrying on the family tradition with my grandchildren.

How many kids these days know their father nevermind their grandfather?