Modems

I?ve spent a few hundred quid recently replacing modems that kept disconnecting me and dropping the speed down. Three different modems all seemed to be faulty.

The problem turned out to be intermittent line noise caused by some bad crimps at a junction box a couple of hundred yards from the office. Listening on the line, everything seemed quiet but a low-level noise was causing the problems and this could only be detected by BT?s test gear locally.

I?ll gladly loan you a new modem/router/filter to prove or disprove if it?s your equipment. Other than that it must be a line issue.

What are the symptoms?

Bill :)

My modem came free with my Virgin Broadband and I've never had a problem with it. I now use it via a Buffalo Air Station Router which I've hard wired to also accomodate my sons online xbox 360 connection (cos I've not bothered to suss out the wireless bit yet)... still never had a problem though.

I have a Netgear, no problems with either wired or wireless use, comes with a disc and is easy to set up. I've got an old USB Speedtouch modem that was always reliable if that is any use to you.

Regarding speeds, the following website can do a check:

http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/speed-test.asp?kt=100123&gclid=CMCfscrLv5QCFQ6S1Qod-muISw

If you talk to your isp, they?ll tell you to get the line checked which is little more than ringing BT or who ever provides your line and asking them to do a line check which doesn?t cost anything. If there is any kind of problem detected then BT as the line provider will simply be instructed to sort it out.

The real problems start when the line checks out ok but the service still keeps dropping and slowing down as was the case with mine. Under these conditions, BT have to physically come out to check things and if the problem turns out to be your equipment or the wiring within your house, you?ll be liable to pay about ?170 call out charges.

It may well be your modem but it might not be, so you?d be wasting your money buying a replacement as I did, if the fault then turns out to be the line and this is why I?m offering you to try one of my spares. PM me your address and I?ll post it to you. It'll cost you a pint sometime though! :wink:

Bill :)

• 4 weeks later...

A Broadband Modem is an essential device for providing Broadband Internet access. Some Internet Service Providers offer Broadband Modems as part of a Broadband service. They are usually entry level Modems that may not deliver the quality service and additional features that you require. Compare Broadband Modem prices and products for ADSL, ADSL2+ and Cable services right here.

--------------

Tanyaa

Social Marketing