The Neaderthal Gene.

observer

Interesting prog on Five last night: a new theory being put about by some anthropologists is that, when early homo-sapiens (that's us), came out of Africa 40million or so years ago and entered Europe, they didn't wipe out the indigenous Neanderthals, but mated with them and thus assimilated them. :roll: They also claim (in this new theory) that the Neanderthals had better communication skills due to their need for co-operative hunting - at which point I nearly switched off! :roll: Whilst the conventional "out of Africa" theory seems logical, it also seems logical that whilst early humans would have wiped out the male Neanderthals; the females may have been taken as captives and some cross breeding could have occured (as in early Native American inter-tribal warfare). :? This could lead to the theory that we all still carry a Neanderthal gene; which seems apparent if you visit a Rugby or Soccer Match or visit Town at the week-end. :lol::wink:

Errm, NO, methinks your being "picky"! :shock: The basic world map of today, would have been recognisable 40 million years ago, I think continental shift takes a little bit longer?! :wink: Back to the Neanderthals: according to a previous prog I watched: they claimed that due to slight physical differences in the position of their voice box, they would have had high pitched, squeaky voices! :lol: The claim that they only used spears (as against javelins), which called for greater team work, and thus language when hunting, equally applies to humans, who would have had to do the same before they had the imagination to throw their spears in the interest of personal safety. :roll: But the most compelling evidence in terms of differentiation, is the fact that the Neanderthals have left no evidence of art (wall paintings) or ritual burial; which suggests they had no creative imagination or abstract thought capability. :shock: They were physically adapted to their original cold climate; but the advantage of humans was an ability to adapt to most enviroments through building shelter etc. :wink:

Well like all theories - we just do not know the whole truth. More than likely there was some interrelations - but who really knows?

It's sort of like the Big Bang theory - scientists can go back almost to the point of the Big Bang but not quite - so it is still a theory.

I guess it is good we theorize things to gain knowledge as long as we keep in mind most is not fact?? :wink:

Male redheads were always held in pretty high esteem many centuries ago ......... their urine was said to be the best to use in the dying process with woad to produce blue cloth :wink: usually the first pee they had in a morning was the best one to use :lol: ......... urine was a very useful addition to a lot of things ...... even rustproofing of armour :wink:

I think this process of rustproofing armour with urine was definitely discovered by accident ! the process involved heating the piece to a deep cherry red colour ( the highly skilled smiths from centuries ago could tell just by looking if the temperature was right ) ...... once at the right colour/temperature the piece would then be quenched in a bucket of urine, the ammonia in the urine literally 'soaking' into the heated piece thus blackening it and providing an addition to the iron/steel that would highly increase its vulnerability to rusting. It STINKS when you do it ! :lol: believe me I've tried it :shock: but it DOES work !!!

It was part of a living history weekend we did a few years ago, it was natural practise centuries ago, the pathetic society we have nowadays always has that similar kind of response :roll:

No need to be nasty, I genuinely wanted to know. If you had mentioned 'living history weekend' in your post then I would have made the assumption for myself.

I'm convinced that if people spent an extra couple of minutes considering how their statements, stories, explanations etc. might be misinterpreted by visitors/public/and posters, and subsequently revised, or futher explained, then life would go along quite smoothly and therefore 'the society we have nowadays' might not have become so 'pathetic'.

All I know of you is that you research history and tinker around in your shed. I was just intrigued as to how you came to test the urine of a redhead as a rust proofer, as I would think anyone reading your post would be. All I did was ASK. My answer was 'living history weekend' That's all I needed.