Healthy Eating -

observer

Ch4 did a prog on sandwiches last night - frightening! :shock: Aside from the total lack of hygene standards by some suppliers, the amount of saturated fats and salt in some products was OTT. :roll: Problem is, food labelling is totally inadequate, and even when provided is in ultra-fine print, so folk don't have a choice as to how much fat/salt they consume. :shock: Interesting also, that processed meats are full of water and additives - EG. they compared a properly cured ham, which is the rear rump/leg of the pig against what was claimed to be ham. :? The real ham was a reddish colour, whilst the processed version was white and would be made of bits of meat from all parts of the pig. :roll: SO, much safer, and cheaper, to make tour own butties and to get your meat from the butcher. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

oh these programs love so much to show us how we eat and drink crap...and they are soo good and on our side.

the vast majority of places that prepare food do it to a higher standard than we do in our own kitchens.

in the UK we have probably the safest food in the world, thats why were always ill when we go on holiday, we have no resistance anymore.

Thanks to my recent food poisoning in the dominican republique I lost 7lbs in 2 weeks....so its not all bad...cant wait to go back ang get down to under 14stone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

don't know how healthy they are but heres the link to Jamie Olivers burgers as featured on the Sainsburys advert..... they sound rather yummy actually although I've not tried them myself yet.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/family/tasty+ideas/feed_family_for_a_fiver/meal_ideas/lovely_lamb_burgers.htm

For healthy low fat burgers here's another site with some interesting suggestions on keeping yer burgers moist.... although I've never tested the internal temperature of a burger before I just wait 'till its a burnt then I know it's cooked properly :lol::shock:

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/summer/a/lowfatburgers.htm

Never had a rissole (well not that I can remember anyway) so had to look up what one was... I'm really embarrassed now as I thought a rissole was a sort of rice dish :oops:

so if anyone if as bad at cooking as me (which I doubt) here's snobby Delia's recipe for rissoles... although they do sound rather nice and burger like too... :D but not sure how healthy they are as they are fried.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/rissoles,1577,RC.html

• 4 weeks later...

No Rissoles were left over Sunday?s meat mixed with a bit of onion, eggs to bind and breadcrumbs to pad it out then shaped like a burger then fried. As a kid, they were my all time favourite food even beating a regular burger for taste but surprisingly you can?t buy them ready made these days, probably due to the need to use re-cooked meat.

The nearest I?ve come to a real rissole was an Indian kebab thingy, forget what it was called but it wasn?t from the usual Indian type restaurants.

Bill :)