Lower Bridge Street?

observer

Allow`the opening of some trendy bars, out spill the binge drinkers onto the road - regardless of traffic - then it has to be pedestrianised? :shock: So on that basis, each and every new "trendy" bar opened will inevitably lead to further pedestrianisation - errm, perhaps no new bars = no binge drinking zombies = no forced pedestrianisation? :wink:

I don't know why they bother with these new gimmicks. No-one takes any notice. Saw a car pretending to be a taxi today going through the lights UP Bridge St, and I would be rich if I had a pound for every time I saw a car going down Scotland Rd the wrong way(past Yates) to turn up to Asda. :roll:

Do taxi drivers have to abide by the rules :?

Reason I ask is that on Friday night when I walked through Stockton Heath at 10.15pm with my pooch (which I will NEVER do again... perhaps another thread for the rest of the story) there were no fewer than 9 taxis parked up on London Road in various places ALL ON DOUBLE YELLOW LINES :shock:

It's obviously ok as there were 4 police officers stood watching the crowds near the Mullbery Tree and Red Lion pubs but didn't move the taxi's from their illegal parking spots :shock:

Seems like the police will turn a blind eye when it comes to vehicles which are available to quickly re-distribute the drunks and loud mouths to other locations :wink:

We are always being told it is only a minority of people who use these clubs who cause the trouble. The rest are thoroughly decent people just going out to enjoy themselves.

Well, here's suggestion to solve the problem. All the decent folk should stay away for a month or so. The remaining "minority" will not be enough to keep the clubs in business so they will close. Problem solved.

The decent people can then come back and perhaps the old clubs will have been replaced by something more worthwhile that will not attract the yobs.

• 4 weeks later...
Do taxi drivers have to abide by the rules :?

Reason I ask is that on Friday night when I walked through Stockton Heath at 10.15pm with my pooch (which I will NEVER do again... perhaps another thread for the rest of the story) there were no fewer than 9 taxis parked up on London Road in various places ALL ON DOUBLE YELLOW LINES :shock:

It's obviously ok as there were 4 police officers stood watching the crowds near the Mullbery Tree and Red Lion pubs but didn't move the taxi's from their illegal parking spots :shock:

Seems like the police will turn a blind eye when it comes to vehicles which are available to quickly re-distribute the drunks and loud mouths to other locations :wink:

Question is mate is which do you prefer, a line of double parked taxi cabs or a crowd of fighting drunken yobs, always its one or the other. The police let cabbies get away with it because it clears the crowds from a less enforced area ( the majority of police are posted in town on weekend nights) and 95% of journeys from that rank go to the town centre.

I dont mean to be argumentative with this post, its just a simple fact. I worked the cabs for 2 years and have seen the aftermath when cabs have been scarce. I had several hundred pounds worth of damage done to my cab because i refused to let someone blatantly jump the taxi queue and took the next in line, as the passengers got in, the queue jumpers started kicking my cab and tried ripping my sliding door off, which then meant I had to have it repaired before I could work again.

its a hard job at the weekends, the other reason cabbies crowd that rank is for protection. the police would be no help whatsoever if a cabbie got into trouble because there simply arent enoug of them in stockton heath.

LD

Yep not too bad Chis and sorry now as I think back you did mention you?d been a taxi driver. That?s old age for you!

Off to sample the night life in stoking feet tonight just for a change but I doubt I?ll find a good pint of real ale out there. Seems to be more of a wine bar area but at least the place looked pretty lively when I drove through last Thursday.

Catch you later gota go find my dicky-bow and polish mi shoes :wink::lol:

Bill :)