Widnes doomed

safeway56

So there we have it. It's finally been decided, Widnes lose out on a franchise. This will probably be the end for Widnes RLFC which in my opinion is a disgrace. They will go the way of other once great clubs, Oldham and Featherstone. Never again will they be in a position to join the elite. O'Connor will lose interest and will soon be gone. Widnes have a stronger fan base than half of the so called Superleague clubs, have a superb stadium yet they are to be lost to the game, yet the likes of Celtic Crusaders have been give Superleague status despite having a fanbase of three blokes and a dog, and play in a stadium which Warrington Town FC would turn up their noses. Leigh are also in a similar position to Widnes. Strong fan base and a superb state of the art stadium. The game has gone crackers.

Ineterestingly Tony Rea was on Sky News just now and didn't talk of clubs, he talked of *businesses*

Lord, Give me strength to survive these lunatics.

I've been thinking of a rather unlikely soccer scenario. Supposing the Premier Football League decided they only required an elite league of say ten clubs and put the game out to franchise. It's possible that Man City would be turned down because they haven't won anything for donkey's years despite having huge support and a magnificent stadium. Instead a franchise has been give to Penzance Rovers because of the need to expand the game in Cornwall. It won't happen of course but that's the logic applied by the nutters who are now running(ruining) our great game.

So there we have it. It's finally been decided, Widnes lose out on a franchise. This will probably be the end for Widnes RLFC which in my opinion is a disgrace. They will go the way of other once great clubs, Oldham and Featherstone. Never again will they be in a position to join the elite. O'Connor will lose interest and will soon be gone. Widnes have a stronger fan base than half of the so called Superleague clubs, have a superb stadium yet they are to be lost to the game, yet the likes of Celtic Crusaders have been give Superleague status despite having a fanbase of three blokes and a dog, and play in a stadium which Warrington Town FC would turn up their noses. Leigh are also in a similar position to Widnes. Strong fan base and a superb state of the art stadium. The game has gone crackers.

Ineterestingly Tony Rea was on Sky News just now and didn't talk of clubs, he talked of *businesses*

Sad day for Rugby league. Many happy memories of Widnes, especially when we signed Jonathan Davies. :D

All my wife's family are Widnes fans! :cry:

As I responded to KeithR under general sport - 'spot on' Safe, the RFL are both stupid and corrupt.

I can't believe people are surprised by the decision.

We have known for ages that the Rugby league wanted a franchise in Wales - and to be fair Salford our performing better than Widnes or Leigh.

No not surprised just very dissapointed with a foolhardy(at the very least)decision.......

1098371364Hbv1Z4.jpg

Oy Safers, is their ground that bad, that Town would turn their noses up at it.

As far as Widnes not getting in goes, good, when their fans stand on our terraces and sing 'Stab the Wire scum', then they should be ashamed of themselves and are definitely not worthy of a S.L. place

Oy Safers, is their ground that bad, that Town would turn their noses up at it.

As far as Widnes not getting in goes, good, when their fans stand on our terraces and sing 'Stab the Wire scum', then they should be ashamed of themselves and are definitely not worthy of a S.L. place

On that basis no team deserves a place in Super League, Wire included. :roll::roll:

Remember the 80's and the violence which often followed the Wire around ? For years there was a wall along Winwick Road bearing the legend *KILL WIGAN* scrawled on it. I was there at Naughton Park the day Des Drummond was in trouble for biffing a Widnes speccie(quite justifiably). Previous to the incident there had been a mass pitch invasion by hundreds of Wire fans. Glass houses and stones spring to mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Ite Widnes supporter here, cheers for your kind words. Aye, personally I don't think Celtic will be able to to survive without the funding of the RFL like London did a few years ago. Sad that we have been shafted twice now for expansion but such is life. I think their attendences (or lack of) speak for themselves.

In regard to that drummond game, I was only about 6, but I remember Wire and chemics fans invading the pitch at HT i think, fighting for about 10 minutes non-stop. And according to my old man, a lot at the station afterwards. :shock::cry:

Welcome to the forum Chemic - I was also at that match and a little older than six - it was a day that shamed the great game of Rugby League - I also had the dubious honour of covering the court case when Dessie was charged with assault.

If they memory serves me correctly he got off with it.

It doesn't seem that lonmg agao that Widnes were crowned World Champions at Old Trafford - how the migthy have fallen - and I fear a lot of it was down to a badly managed club.

I will miss the banter with my in-laws! :cry:

Welcome to the forum Chemic - I was also at that match and a little older than six - it was a day that shamed the great game of Rugby League - I also had the dubious honour of covering the court case when Dessie was charged with assault.

It doesn't seem that lonmg agao that Widnes were crowned World Champions at Old Trafford - how the migthy have fallen - and I fear a lot of it was down to a badly managed club.

I will miss the banter with my in-laws! :cry:

Cheers mate, thanks. Erm yer we were once great, was only young un but I remember the wcc game at OT, brilliant night, great game and Widnes overturned a canberra lead. Great times, but sadly we were paying players ridiculous amounts that we couldn't afford to. That is what killed us in the long run. It is such a shame as we now have a board and a chairman who has his head screwed on too. We could have been a half decent side in SL. :cry:

Going back to that trouble at widnes wire semi in 88, that was so bad according to my dad it made national news at 10. :shock:

TBH though it was always like when we used to play each other, a year later at lancs cup semi, that was nasty too. 1000 fans got locked out :shock:

I also had the dubious honour of covering the court case when Dessie was charged with assault.

ld

Ayup Gary...You don't know it but if you were in court you would have seen me. I appeared as a witness for the defence. I was the one who made the jury laugh. Remember ?

I also had the dubious honour of covering the court case when Dessie was charged with assault.

ld

Ayup Gary...You don't know it but if you were in court you would have seen me. I appeared as a witness for the defence. I was the one who made the jury laugh. Remember ?

My memory isn't that good! :oops::roll:

• 1 month later...
I see it has now come to light that Wakefield were granted a franchise on the basis that a new ground would be in place by 2010.

It now seems that it is unlikely to happen before 2020, if ever, and the RFL knew about it :?:?:? more corruption?

10077379-kick-em-out-make-em-pay.jpg

Give Widnes it's rightful place back in SL :lol:

Just how genuine were Wakefield's intentions of a new stadium ? Perhaps it was a figment of somebody's imagination so they'd be allowed a franchise. Belle Vue must be the worst sporting venue in the country,it's exposed on three sides to the worst of the elements.If it can be proved they were telling porkies then they should be kicked out forthwith and either Leigh or Widnes take their place, unless of course the RL bosses have ambitions of taking the game to Ketchikan, Alaska.

• 6 months later...
Hopefully the arrival of Paul Cullen will revive their fortunes now!

Don't hold your breath,as long as the misguided & delusionary current powers that be rule the roost then the next club(sorry business opportunity)will be in Scotland(heaven forbid)who can't even manage a well supported/succesful Union team. :x