Help - Low fat family recipies (for teens)

Dizzy

Home cooked its always better for you than any thing pre prepared. Erm, home made pizza, she could make her own and have some of what Obervers suggested with it, much better for you than take way Pizza, or home made chilli, there is already a recipe on here :):roll:

Try this, only cut and pasted so can't recommend but off UK TV food website..I have made hoem pizza before though, jsut dont have recipe at my desk at work, its yummy and much nicer knowing you've made it yourself and you can choose exactly what goes on as the topping and how much..

Pizza

Ingredients

150g plain white flour

90ml tepid water

4g Yeast

2g Sugar

5g Salt

25ml Olive oil

For the tomato sauce:

400g tinned plum tomatoes

2 fresh basil leaves, shredded

salt and fresh ground black pepper

For the topping:

mozzarella cheese, cubed

toppings of your choice

salt and fresh ground black pepper

Olive oil, for drizzling

2 pinches of Oregano

fresh basil leaves, to garnish

Method 1. First make the pizza dough. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, yeast, sugar and salt together with a wooden spoon for 1 minute.

2. Then gradually add the tepid water whilst still mixing, and mix for a further 2 minutes.

3. Next add the olive oil and knead the dough for 4 -5 minutes until the dough stops ripping and gains elasticity.

4. Divide the dough in two and shape into 2 dough balls. Cover with a damp, clean tea-towel and allow to rest for 45- 60 minutes.

5. While the dough is resting, make the tomato sauce. Put the tomatoes and basil leaves in a bowl, season with salt and freshly ground pepper and mash using a spoon or a hand-blender. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour before use.

6. Preheat the oven to 240?C/gas 9.

7. Place one of the rested pizza dough balls on a lightly floured work surface. Use your fingertips to flatten the dough, stretching it to a 20cm disc.

8. Pick up the dough and toss from palm to palm, continuously rotating the dough to remove any excess flour and stretch the dough further.

9. Repeat the process with the remaining dough ball.

10. Lightly oil 2 pizza pans and place the dough discs in the centre of each pan. Use your fingers to press down the edge of the dough, forming a rim.

11. Pour a ladleful of the tomato sauce over each pizza base, spreading it evenly.

12. Top with cubed mozzarella and the topping of your choice. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper, a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of oregano.

13. Bake for 12-15 minutes, remove from the pizza pan, garnish with fresh basil and serve at once.

Also spag bols a favourite with many, try this, agai only cut and pasted cos cant stop on long today, can write up my own and post another time though, quick tip, smoky bacon can transform it :wink:

Ingredients

For the tomato sauce

4-5 Tomatoes

3 red peppers

2 Carrots, grated

1-2 garlic cloves, roasted

pinch brown sugar

250ml Red wine

1 sprig each Basil, rosemary, thyme and parsley

3 tbsp Olive oil

For the bolognese

4 tbsp Olive oil

900g lean minced beef

3 Tomatoes, coarsely chopped

4 garlic cloves, finely chopped

pinch dried herbs, (optional)

6 large dried Bay leaves

2-3 tbsp brown sugar

2 red onions, coarsely chopped

2 tbsp clear honey

3 courgettes, chopped

2 large handfuls button mushrooms, halved

4 tbsp Soy sauce

2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Method 1. For the tomato sauce: put all the sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender and blitz until smooth. Pour into a pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile start the bolognese sauce.

2. For the bolognese: heat half the oil in a frying pan and add the minced beef. Cook stirring until the meat is brownd the add the chopped tomatoes, garlic, herbs, bay leaves and sugar. Set aside.

3. In another pan heat the remaining olive oil and cook the red onions until softened. Add the honey during the last 2 minutes and cook over a high heat, stirring, until dark brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.

4. In the same pan add the courgettes, mushrooms, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce and cook until golden.

5. Return the pan with the meat to the heat and add the borwned onions, the courgette and mushroom mixture and the tomato sauce. Stir in the red wine and parsley and cook for 5 minutes.

6. To serve: Cook the spaghetti in a large pan of salted boiling water. Drain and place in a warmed serving bowl. Toss in the butter and parsley. Pile the spaghetti onto serving plates, top with the meat sauce and a sprinkling of fresh parsley, grated cheese and black pepper.

Potato wedges

Ingredients

Maris Piper potatoes

Olive oil, for baking

chilli flakes, for sprinkling

Sea salt to sprinkle after - did you know sea salt and rock salt has less soduim that the manufactured stuff :wink:

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6 and place an oven tray inside to heat up.

2. Cut the potatoes into wedges, leaving the skin on.

3. Put the wedges into a saucepan of salted water, bring to the boil and cook for 3-5 minutes.

4. Drain well, then transfer the wedges to the hot oven tray and drizzle over a little olive oil. Season with some salt and freshly ground pepper and sprinkle over chilli flakes to taste.

5. Return the tray to the oven and bake the wedges for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Nice with Chilli if dont like rice and done want jacket pots with butter and cheese etc, or you could make lots of tasty dips.

anything with fresh fruits & vegetables are low fat & healthy. I have found with my teenagers that if you add cheese to things they will eat it better. You could steam some broccilli & then melt some cheese to put over top of it things like that.

Great dips for fresh fruits & vegetables might help the kids eat those as well. My kids will eat fresh fruits & vegetables as long as there is dip.

vegetable dip:

packet of hidden valley ranch mix

container of sour cream

mix those together really well & you have a very good vegetable dip

fruit dip:

container of whip cream

container of marshmellow creme

mix those together really well & you have a very good fruit dip

another variation of the fruit dip:

package of cream cheese, softened

whip those together really well & you have a good fruit dip.

Great dips for fresh fruits & vegetables might help the kids eat those as well. My kids will eat fresh fruits & vegetables as long as there is dip.

vegetable dip:

packet of hidden valley ranch mix

container of sour cream

mix those together really well & you have a very good vegetable dip

fruit dip:

container of whip cream

mix those together really well & you have a very good fruit dip

another variation of the fruit dip:

package of cream cheese, softened

whip those together really well & you have a good fruit dip.

Blimey Jint they don't seem to be low fat recipes, cream in each one,

I,m sure they are nice though :)

I agree Jint - melt cheese and the teens will eat almost any vegetable.

Although I have to say that my grand daughter Madison loves broccoli - raw, steamed or with cheese. The only child I know that says "YAY" when you bring broccoli home!!

Asperity's recipe for chilli con carne is fat free, if you soak and boil a mixture of kidney, cannelli, barrotti, haricott, in fact whatever dried beans you feel like, subsitute those, bung the rice in with mix, and you've got barrito filling, cheese if you want. goat's cheese for the fat free, salad ingredients. Ideal for teenagers. They fill the flat bread or whatever and they eat with their fingers. Always a winner. Dried beans full of iron, organic beans, no pesticide.