Council Strike ???

Dizzy

Will the two day strike actually affect us... can't say I'm bothered :wink:

Libraries are shut but that's not a problem.

School's seem to be open so no much of a problem there.

No bin emptied today but I'm not particularly bothered as they will take 3 extra bags next week...

Only problem I have with it all is the fact that the 3 extra bags will be collected by a seperate bin wagon next week... so two pick up's in one day according to front page news..

Does this mean COUNCIL REFUSE WORKERS GET PAID OVERTIME for the extra pickups next week? Surely not :shock::roll::?

Unfortunately, these poorly paid workers are between a rock and a hard place: they are being lectured by MPs who have been hiking their own pay for years, and who won't start taxing the rich in order to relieve the pressure on the poor - pay restaint is fine -if you can afford it. :roll::wink:

Its ok them saying no recycling bin collections till next scheduled day, they didnt empty the paper bin last time despite it being out the night before in the "correct" space - it was full then so I guess the paper will all go in the black bin now.

Fairly brash statement LF: :shock: Just exactly what do you consider are the weekly earnings of an individual, that warrants the title- "overpaid"? :? Now when you've gone through the list of footballers, pop singers, film stars, TV personalities, City Slickers, and Politicians - this useless dross at the top of the heap - then perhaps we can turn our attention to the Prols? :roll::wink:

LF,

back in March, my mum had a stroke and was hospitalised and finally ended up in Padgate House in Vulcan Close. She is 85 and is pretty much independant in most things; however the stroke really knocked her for 6.

She is now ready to come home to her own house and is actually doing so on Monday morning. She has made a recovery; good enough to keep her independance which she values so much.

However, that level of semi-independance could not have been achieved without these low paid people of the health service and social services.

From the nurses and auxilliaries and carers on A1 and B14 at the hospital to the carers and staff at Padgate House and even down to the lads who came out to fit the extra stair bannister and key safe and other aids.... these are the people who deserve as much extra money as they can be awarded. Take it off the politicians if need be. I imagine that one of our local councillors earns more pro-rata per hour than the girls and women who have to stay up all night at a care home and look after the most vulnerable in society.

I will take this opportunity to thank everyone who has helped my mum over the past few months; from the ambulance staff down to the girl who brought the care-call system..... every one is a star!

Even after she gets home, there will be an array of staff to help. 3 times a day someone will call to help her with the most menial of chores, but she still has that grasp on independance and is very exited at the prospect at going home

I can guarantee that most of us will need someone from the NHS or social services more than we will ever need a politician.

....... and LF, would you like to clean up after a 90 year old with bowel problems for not much more than the minimum wage?

Thought not

Hi Baz

I have a 94 year old who is double incontinent, with the onset of confusion who has just had to endure the horrors of Warrington hospital. I used to have the greatest respect for nurses but after what I have seen in the last few weeks my opinion has changed dramatically. The standards of care from A&E to EMU to a ward were really bad they did not manage to cure any problems just we were pleased to get them home where at least they are safe, warm and clean. And can be cared for, it is very hard work. But after the treatment in there, or lack of it, I would not pay them in brass washers. We do it for nothing by the way.

You may think that this is a one off, sadly, oh no, when you spend a long time at the hospital and speak with other people they have the same experience.

I suppose that some people might think that the council officials here in Warrington are doing a fine job for Warrington for their wages. Oh and don?t forget their free parking, and the store discount cards. No one ever complains on here about refuse collectors do they? Or road repairs, Busses, Bus lanes, Cycle lanes, Strange planning approvals, Just to name a few. But all for the good of the rate payer of course.

I wouldn't dispute that many workers have less than a full commitment to doing their jobs; but if you stand back and look at the big picture, the way to end the culture is to start at the top; sort out the big fish and work your way down - it's about priorities and examples. :wink:

Hi Obs ~ isn?t that why % increases are unfair. 3% of ?100,000 is not bad but 3% of ?10,000 is poor.

I cannot see any government attempting to raise the status of pensioners and the poorly paid. This labour government more than most want to get in the pockets and wallets of people with money and sod the rest.

Brown is no better than any of the world?s dictators. Spending money around the world and not interested in what is happening at home.

The really really sad thing about this country is there is no one to take control and we , the pensioners and poorly paid have to suffer for their gluttonous luxury over spending.

This winter is really going to be a winter of discontent. Maybe the plan is to kill off the now ?Non worthwhile? members of our country by malnutrition, cold, poverty, and poor health care.

I'd have to agree with LF on Warrington Hopsital, or my experiance of it three years ago when my own mother had a stroke, which left her needing constant care.

certainly the staff who were meant to be looking after her daily needs rather than medical. (medical I have no problem with)

1. everytime we visited staff hung around the main desk at the wards laughing and chatting while patients were left for hours in their own urine.

2. medical reports of upkeep were falsified a prime example was when I complained on the fourth day of her report sheet stating that she had eaten all her breakfast, despite most of it being still on her tray and that she had cleaned her teeth despite her not having any or dentures for 20 years !.

Hi Legion

Well I cannot say too much as this may end up as an official complaint. He has come out far worse than when he went in, he still has the original complaint as well as another two caused directly by the lack of care. The GP has been to see him several times now and we have refused to send him back there to that hell hole of EMU. If he is to die it will be in peace at home where at least he is clean and looked after.

On the ward it is still the same the staff sit around their nursing station chatting about holidays and nights out while you are trying to drag them away to do some nursing. After we complained I thought it was strange that his notes got re written, they even wrote on the top re written. Where they only contained three pages they increased overnight to about fifteen.

An absolute disgrace that place and certainly not a place for sick people to go. Nurses have lost all of my respect now.

little fella, I think you should be awarded the title of 'Serial Complainer'. Reading back over your various contributions you have got your knife into every organisation that you have had contact with.

Regarding this current diatribe, all I can say that in the dealings and experiences that I have had with the hospital I have been impressed with both treatment and care. There has been the odd minor niggle but nothing that would encourage me to join your 'slagging off' crusade.