thatcher

warrington15

You see Obs, you started off your previous post with the fairly well known observation that Mrs T wanted to destroy the NUM, no doubt for a number of reasons but then stated that she had to destroy our dependancy on coal in order to do this. Firstly do you think it right that a country should be dependent on one form of fuel?

Secondly, in 1978 coal accounted for 35% of the country's energy & was at 31% in 1990 when Mrs T resigned. The down turn in the use of coal did not really occur until 10 years after the miners strike but hey, why let the truth get in the way of an attack on Mrs T, eh?

And thirdly, "our current malaise" - would this be being the fourth largest economy in the world, from being an economic laughing stock where the unions dictated who worked & who didn't, who got buried & who didn't, whose bins got emptied & whoese didn't?

As it happens I supported (by strike action) the miners in 1984 as I was (& still am) against the total loss of the UK coal industry. Unfortunately in 1984 the NCB was not being run for the benefit of UK but for the benefit of its workforce in general & the benefit of the NUM leadership in particular. Most of the miners that I knew at the time blamed Mr Scargill far more than Mrs T for the scale of the closures

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you are aware, Legion, that Bill Gates has donated billions of dollars to various charities & aid programs, both domestic & overseas & has said that he will leave all of his wealth to the same when he dies rather than give it to his children. So why use him as an example?

And out of curiosity do you intend to leave your estate to family or the starving, when you (hopefully not for a long time) pass on.?

Your obviously new to this board Bonzo, and thus havn't read my copious posts on a multitude of issues; which (if you did read them) you'd appreciate that I've advocated the pursuit of total energy self-sufficiency, using the natural resources of this Country IE: Coal, Hydro, Tidal, Wind etc. :roll: The number of pits closed by Thatcher was in excess of the number estimated by Scargill at the time, and she started importing Polish coal at that time as it was cheaper; but OUR coal is now a much more viable energy source and we're sat on thousands of years supply of it. :shock: Unfortunately new pits or surface mining would now be required, as the old one are probably derelict. :cry: Meanwhile, your "private" energy companies, who are busily hiking their prices, appear to be making record profits for their shareholders; thought extortion was a crime?! :wink: