Unofficial taxi rank, London Road, Stockton Heath.

21GoodLife

Baz

Your not really reading what I?m saying and as a result your completely missing the point.

Bill isn?t looking for excuses as you put it, I?m just saying that I support the actions of the police on this issue as the only sensible and practical approach.

The taxi ranks have been there for years and the police have had all that time to work out the best option but if you think you know better, then don?t waste your time quoting the highway code at me, go suggest a better alternative to the police.

Bill :)

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill,

I think you are the one missing the point here.... Taxis are not allowed to park or wait on double yellow lines. Period. There are no Special cases or little arrangements to be made.

and yes I have an alternative for the Police and the wardens ..... "Book the bloody taxis like you would book anyone elses car because they are breaking the law and are not a special case"

The taxi ranks might well have been there for years... but they are taxi ranks for a specific number of vehicles; not a taxi rank for 6 plus another 11 parked up the road on double yellow lines. They have no more right to park there than I do and maybe if a few more people started complaining that the Police are not doing their jobs by enforcing these parking breaches the roads wouldn't be as clogged up around the likes of Central Station and the likes

I can think of lots of alternatives to current laws.... none of which I would have a chance of getting away with.

Baz

Look Baz this seems to be turning into an argument rather than a discussion and I don?t want that.

At the end of the day its up to the police to decide how best to deal with this situation at Bank Quay and Central. Their use of discretion may not sit well with some but it?s better than the ?I don?t care, the rules clearly state? jobsworth approach.

Baz

Look Baz this seems to be turning into an argument rather than a discussion and I don?t want that.

At the end of the day its up to the police to decide how best to deal with this situation at Bank Quay and Central. Their use of discretion may not sit well with some but it?s better than the ?I don?t care, the rules clearly state? jobsworth approach.

and what if said jobsworth complains to the police, would they then be forced to act ?

PJ

But why would the police complain to the police?

Eagle

Are you saying the police should have no discretionary powers?

Ok Bill even though police do complain about the police regularly I will put it another way. If a concerned member of the public were to complain about this to the Police wouldn't they have to do something or face accusations of negligence? This isn't discretion it is discrimination.

Bill, ignoring continual breaking of regulations is not using discretion it is showing favouritism because you or I would not qualify for the aforementioned discretion.

If people are parking on double yellows without penalty then they may as well be painted over.

local by-laws which all this comes under and the one who take you to court and fine you not the police its a by-law

Parking Regulations

Motorists parking their cars are not the only ones who must obey the law and regulations. Councils can only make parking regulations (known as ?Traffic Regulation Orders? or ?Traffic Management Orders?) and enforce parking contraventions in accordance with the law. For example, councils must comply with regulations that say how parking controls are signed.

Under the decriminalised scheme brought in by the Traffic Management Act 2004, when a vehicle is, for example, parked on a yellow line during controlled hours, it is said to be parked ?in contravention of the regulations?. Thus there are no offences, merely contraventions

Here the regulations allow vehicles to park, usually in a bay, under certain conditions, for example upon payment in a meter or by purchasing a pay and display voucher. Alternatively, some parking bays are reserved for specific users (and the vehicle will have to display a permit), such a resident parking, business, doctor or trader. At other locations, only certain types of vehicle may park there, for example coaches. Parking may even be free but subject to a time limit, perhaps 20 minutes with no return for two hours. Vehicles must park properly within the marked bays. Whenever you want to park in a bay you must check the adjacent signs and that you are parked completely within the bay markings.

The Council, through the Parking Control Office, may issue a waiver indicating a dispensation from the parking regulations. A charge is made for issuing a waiver. The waiver will bear the registration number of the vehicle, together with the time and purpose for which the dispensation is granted and the place where the vehicle is authorised to wait.

on which taxi have

:shock:

from Traffic Penalty Tribunal

When is a taxi available for hire? (SQ05010H)

Driver of a licensed hackney carriage, the appellant left his vehicle for a few moments on a double yellow line while he went to the toilet and was issued with a PCN for waiting in a restricted area. The council contended that he was not entitled to wait in the taxi rank, because the vehicle was unattended, not available for hire and therefore not "a hackney carriage" as defined in the bylaw. The Adjudicator, ruling that he did not interpret that to mean that the vehicle ceased to be a hackney carriage for every minute that it was not in such use, found that the common sense view of the appellant's vehicle would say that it was a vehicle used in standing or plying for hire and had the required number plate fixed on it. He was also satisfied on the facts that the vehicle was available for hire, except that any passenger would have had to wait to depart until the appellant returned from the toilet.

The appeal was allowed.

Hi Goodlife21, are you still there?

The planning application for a taxi rank at 100 London road was refused :D amazingly Highways,amongst others, objected. :shock:

So it may be useful for you to use some of the points raised for refusing this application in a complaint to the police about the problems you are having.

I think many residents in Stockton Heath will be pleased that there will not be an increased number of taxis as the more accessible the area is the more people will come and the worse it will get. If there were less taxis and people had to walk home, less would come, the bars would close through lack of business, empty units could become shops whose customers could park in the car parks. The local residents could then get some decent sleep. It was a ridiculous idea to promote a night-life hotspot in a residential area in the first place!

Like I said you will change nothing trust me you will not make one bit of difference because the system which they have in place now and you know want it works that all they need to know it?s a hard life I know and for some people have to put up with all the loudness of talking car horns going off but you know what it?s a small hardship to pay that?s how this council looks at it trust me when I say no one will change the way its run now trust me.

If they are breaking the law TD, they will be brought to book.... eventually. You may like to think that the taxi driver is a hard put on knight of the road in his shiny steed but he is subject to the laws of the land like everyone else

I do agree with you Baz J but where the council or the police are involved nothing will be done as the grater out come Is what they are most concerned with?????? not the by laws or what me or you or other think it comes down to public safety and you will never beat that

I do agree with you Baz J but where the council or the police are involved nothing will be done as the grater out come Is what they are most concerned with?????? not the by laws or what me or you or other think it comes down to public safety and you will never beat that

Its a pity Tara Dad that you cannot apply this kind of logic when you are ranting on about the Pink Lady Cabs "breaking the law" or does that not benefit you personally and therefore is wrong. The law breaking drivers you are defending are having a negetive effect on the quality of life of the residents in the immediate area of the illegal rank or whatever you would like to term it but your answer to the residents is hard luck, we know its wrong but get used to it because we have a job to do. Perhaps it is time something was done by the local councillors for the area????

Pj read what I say I said I agree with him they should be booked just like the pink ladies should be taken off the road what do you not understand ? Like I have shown on here the council are unwilling to act even at the hand of public safety. But than just write about on a public forum and moan and do nothing I have try to make a difference. And it look like its finally working.its Council hard luck way not mine where do you get its mine ? Like I have said I am not taking sides. no one is above the law

• 3 weeks later...

the cabs will always rank there as long as the pubs are open. this should of been thought about before granting lic for the pubs, but it wasnt.Th rank is not big enough and no where for it to go with out reversing the one way on west av. But having said that the drivers should not be making the noise they sometimes make , and some kind off enforcement should be done over that.if we wasnt there you would have a lot more noise from the people pi**ed walking into town............ so some times u cant win............ people off stockton heath want the pubs and the cash input that comes with it but not the hassle......... if u didnt want the people there u should off objected to the planning permissionon the pubs etc in the first place. but i do agree what SOME of the drivers do is out of order, but that not all off them and we are only trying to make a living from a very expensive investement.(our taxi)

people off stockton heath want the pubs

Oh no they don't!

and the cash input that comes with it

Just how do they get the cash?

u should off objected to the planning permissionon the pubs etc in the first place.

most people did but they got passed anyway. :roll: