Printer Problem

Wingnut

Hello.

I have a problem with my printer in that it will not print off any text documents from WORD. Although it will print off a colour photograph. Any parts of the photograph that should be black come out as a misty silver colour.

All ink cartridges are new. I have also tried to print text off from notepad, but still no joy.

The printer is a Cannon S520.

Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Problem could be any number of things!!

Did you leave the printer unsued for a while(ink might of dried in the jets) you should be able to clean them using the printer software.

If its only the black that is the problem i would say its the Jets thats are blocked you need to free them up either via sofeware or by hand failing that dump it and get a new one.. not worth getting it repaired

Steve

Thanks lads.

You are probably right as regards dumping it. The printer is around 4 - 5 years old. I did the service checks cleaning the nozzles etc. I didn't see the colour or black only option on preferences so I will check that before I dump it. It only cost about ?30 anyway.

Many Thanks.

Are your printer heads on your ink cartriges or your actual printer. HP are on the ink cartridges and so are replaced regularly, Epson are on the actual printer(hence the cheaper ink cartridges)... dont know about cannon.

If yours are on the printer try cleaning them with a bit of white spirit as they do get a bit of a hammering over time, it may work.

Thanks lads.

You are probably right as regards dumping it. The printer is around 4 - 5 years old. I did the service checks cleaning the nozzles etc. I didn't see the colour or black only option on preferences so I will check that before I dump it. It only cost about ?30 anyway.

Many Thanks.

DUMP IT !!! :roll: You mean try and recycle it :wink:

Given that I can access four other printers on the office network, there had to be a good reason why I did that, Question is can you think what it was? :wink:

I've been struggling with my broadband speed over the last two days with download speeds of just 300k and the router dropping out every hour or so. I've changed to the backup router but it's still the same. Had the line checked out and that shows ok. My ISP tells me they can see there's a problem but given we've done everything physically possible then they have to get BT on the job and it will cost ?175 if they determine the problems anywhere after the line socket.

Just out of curiosity, I followed the lines back to the local telephone pole and found that the cover had been left off and all of the wiring and connectors were exposed to the elements. A plastic bag had been loosely placed over the wiring but there was bird muck all over the place and most of the connectors looked completely corroded.

I'm hoping that there lies the problem but just to be on the safe side, tomorrow I'm going to try yet another router just in case I've got two identical faulty ones. Better that than pay BT to find that out.

Bah Technology who needs it! :evil:

Bill :)

Just a follow on from above with something I didn't realise.

Apparently the drop in speed on the ADSL is part of an automated process at the exchange. Every time the system detects any disconnection, it drops the speed slightly and keeps doing this until a stable link is maintained. If after 72 hours the link is still good, it starts to increase the speed back up to the maximum.

Clearly we have a loose wire somewhere, probably in the pole near the office but the moral of the story is that if you have broadband don?t disconnect it too often otherwise your speed will go down the pan.

Bill :)

Quote bill

Given that I can access four other printers on the office network, there had to be a good reason why I did that, Question is can you think what it was?

Thats so you can print off your mucky pics without anyone else int he Office seeing them!!

as for ADSL that something i didnt know and as for your loose wiring on the pole spray them with some "electrolube" see if the speed picks up within 24 hours if it does them report it as a fault..

Steve