Do we need to re-constitute our unwritten constitution ?

As Churchill said - "No system of Governance is perfect, but perhaps democracy is the best one "   Even the US system of the division of the Executive, Legislature and Judicery has become corrupted, to the point where it's the best governance that money can buy. I've never been a fan of PR,  but the more I think of our recent election, the more absurd FPTP becomes.   When only a third of those who actually voted can elect a Government with a huge majority, perhaps it's time for a re-think ?  Our system is archaic in any case, with an upper house consisting of appointees for life, so clearly undemocratic, so perhaps that is the first thing to modernise ?   This could easily be achieved by scrapping the House of Lords, of over 800 largely geriatrics and replacing it with 100 Senators, elected on a party list system in direct proportion to the votes at a General Election.   It would also allow for it's provision as the Executive Arm of Government.   This still leaves the Commons,  where the need to have constituency representation makes PR more difficult, but with no executive powers, the absurdities could be reduced.    😗

3 hours ago, Observer II said:

As Churchill said - "No system of Governance is perfect, but perhaps democracy is the best one "   Even the US system of the division of the Executive, Legislature and Judicery has become corrupted, to the point where it's the best governance that money can buy. I've never been a fan of PR,  but the more I think of our recent election, the more absurd FPTP becomes.   When only a third of those who actually voted can elect a Government with a huge majority, perhaps it's time for a re-think ?  Our system is archaic in any case, with an upper house consisting of appointees for life, so clearly undemocratic, so perhaps that is the first thing to modernise ?   This could easily be achieved by scrapping the House of Lords, of over 800 largely geriatrics and replacing it with 100 Senators, elected on a party list system in direct proportion to the votes at a General Election.   It would also allow for it's provision as the Executive Arm of Government.   This still leaves the Commons,  where the need to have constituency representation makes PR more difficult, but with no executive powers, the absurdities could be reduced.    😗

A party list to provide 100 senators to act as the executive branch. How on earth do you expect that to work? They are from different parties with different often opposing ideas. Your ideas on this subject get increasingly ridiculous. The problems of FPTP are exacerbated by tactical voting and geographical cliques. You were encouraging just that. You can't complain when you got what you asked for  -- you were told it would just get a labour landslide and it did. 

Quote from Andrew Neil on Twitter ( take from his Times radio Podcast)

So why did Labour win so many seats on such a small vote share? Simple: Farage’s Reform party. In 140 seats the Tories failed to hold, Reform had a larger share of the vote than the Tory losing margin. 

So how many does it take to form a cabinet, plus a Party could add MPs from the Commons if they were short, or form a coalition, the Europeans do it all the time.    The status quo was and is, the uni-Party of the establishment, and will be seen to be the puppets of the globalist  elite.  You, like the Tories, can't think outside the box, and are thus consigned to extinction.   What you seem to be saying, is that nothing should disturb the status quo, well the whole point behind democracy is to respond to and reflect the wishes of the majority.    As we saw from the EU referendum,  the political elites chose to betray that majority, and have now reaped their just reward.  OK, we'll now suffer 5 years of woke rubbish from Liebour, but they will alienate the majority, despite their attempts to skew the electoral system in their favour, by adding 16yo and migrants to the electoral rolls and by stifling free speech. :rolleyes:

Isn't there a consensus that proportional representation leads to legislation getting bogged down by debate because so many parties want a say.

I believe PR is one of the problems in Israel where the moderates need the warmonger to keep them in power.

That's true Dave, and is why I've always opposed PR in the past,   but a system that delivers a landslide majority on a lower turnout and with less votes than the previous two elections, has to be questioned.    :unsure:

33 minutes ago, Observer II said:

So how many does it take to form a cabinet, plus a Party could add MPs from the Commons if they were short, or form a coalition, the Europeans do it all the time.    The status quo was and is, the uni-Party of the establishment, and will be seen to be the puppets of the globalist  elite.  You, like the Tories, can't think outside the box, and are thus consigned to extinction.   What you seem to be saying, is that nothing should disturb the status quo, well the whole point behind democracy is to respond to and reflect the wishes of the majority.    As we saw from the EU referendum,  the political elites chose to betray that majority, and have now reaped their just reward.  OK, we'll now suffer 5 years of woke rubbish from Liebour, but they will alienate the majority, despite their attempts to skew the electoral system in their favour, by adding 16yo and migrants to the electoral rolls and by stifling free speech. :rolleyes:

The law provides for the government to require up to 109 Ministers including Secretaries of State and the Prime Minister. Your suggestion runs out from the beginning and you haven't allowed for falling out, death etc etc. I am only against change that is ill conceived and barmy. My own extinction is certain but thinking outside the box would not prevent.

The Tories problem is that the Blob stopped them from governing, without stopping that power any right wing party will always be in office but not in power.

Well I certainly agree with your last sentence, but that requires politicians with conviction to ruthlessly counter the civil service, by employing an army of special advisors, and by systematically de-wokeing  it.    :unsure:

Seems we're not the only one's with a flawed electoral system, that can be manipulated by the establishment.  Over in France Macron's centerists have done deals with the far-left, to stand down candidates in the second round of voting for the French Parliament, in order to deny a majority for Marian Le Penn's populist Party.  So I guess nothings full proof and all can be abused by anti-democrats.     😢