What Is Your Opinion On

Jonathan Levy

What is your opinion on David Cameron's NHS plan to harness the power of information and publish the details of healthcare outcomes by doing things such as measuring cancer survival rates, instead of recording the number of radiotherapy courses delivered per month in a particular oncology unit, measuring how well patients are after treatment, instead of timing how long someone's in an A&E bed and measuring measure how many people lead active lives whilst suffering from chronic lung disease, instead of recording how many records GPs have updated into information systems?

Just another form of poitical micro-management by other means - the reality is that none of them have got a clue. :roll: Two words in his statement - "choice" and "competition" - and I switched off. :shock: Hospitals arn't there to "compete" with each other, they are there to serve the patient efficiently and effectively. :roll: I don't want a "choice" of hospitals, so that I have to jouney across the country to get a bed; I want my nearest local Hospital to provide a high standard of universal care. :wink:

As I've said before ad nauseum; the NHS is a bottomlesss pit financially, and can be a victim of it's own successes. :? The more operation capabilities and drugs advance, the more demand increases and the more it costs. :roll: With demographic changes older people are living longer BUT with increased cases of dementia, cancer, heart disease - you name it, which increases the loading on the NHS. :cry: At the same time, with proportionately less younger folk working and paying taxes, revenue becomes finite. :cry: Therfore, an honest appraisal would be to have a national, informed debate on the future of the NHS, starting with just how much we can afford or want to pay; which in turn will identify parameters in provision, agree a Mission Statement then, and place control and management in the hands of a professional NHS Board, with NO Political interference, just let them get on with the job. :wink:

Lots of things are going to be worse "if the Conservatives get into power"; as they start to firm up their policies, it's becoming quite evident that their basic dogmas havn't changed, and we will be getting another dose of what we had 18 years of under Magie and Co. :shock: So I guess the electorate are between a rock and a hard place! :roll::wink: