If An 18 Year Old Stood For Council

Jonathan Levy

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As it is not considered a profitable route a whole village(a large one) is completely cut off from the town on a Sunday as there is no bus service whatsoever. The rest of the time the bus service is inadequate to say the least. But since deregulation profit must come first so sod the people.

You ask what is the most important thing in Warrington and I feel its the people, all of them not just the priveleged.

He's doing well, cos I don't think he knows whats hitting him! :wink::lol:

I'm sure he does Obs :P If he can put up with you (you bully :P ) I'm sure he can put up with anything else that's thrown at him on here :D

Teenagers are a stubbon bunch who know what's best remember.... and the more you disagree with them the more determined they get :wink:

Irrespective of age, I would be more inclined to vote for someone who "sought" to get involved than someone who "seeked" to get involved!

I am sure that at 18 I was still extremely immature and not really sufficiently experienced to have formed political opinions.

I was always opposed to the lowering of the voting age to 18 - in fact I am not convinced that even 21 is high enough. That being so, I certainly think 18 is too young to stand for council.

So I suppose I probably would not vote for the 18-year-old. But this would simply mean I did not vote for anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, this happens to be my first post on this site, i stood in the local elections for the Conservatives in the Great Sankey South ward. I have to say many people were very supportive of a young candidate *i had many positive emails and positive responses while canvassing* and as i recall the Labour Party candidate i stood against also seemed quite young *although i was the youngest at age 19*.

I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and learned a great deal, i would encourage anyone to stand if they can.

I appreciate that some people may be concerned that young candidates are merely uniform products of ''party recruiting'', rather than the product of life experience. However, i believe that it is also important to remember that many young people do in fact pay taxes *you can work and even get married at 16* and they also are dirctly affected in unique ways by the political forces shaping our country and perhaps therefore it is a positive and innovative move by our local Conservatives to select and encourage younger candidates to stand for election.

Many of the young people that i have met who are involved in politics want to contribute something positive to their country, to Warrington and to learn something new along the wany. Unfortunately there may be a few people who are purely motivated by career prospects, but this certainly does not die with age or experience from what i can tell.

I certainly plan to stand again and i will continue to campaign for the local Conservatives. Sorry for the long message but it's an issue i've thought about for a long time! :D

Ps - Paul Kennedy was particularly supportive of young people standing for council and i am very pleased that he is finally a councillor - long overdue :D

"I have to say many people were very supportive of a young candidate *i had many positive emails and positive responses while canvassing"

sadly for you though not many votes as you came in last despite the state of the Labour party :wink:

sadly for you though not many votes as you came in last despite the state of the Labour party :wink:

Now that's a bit cruel PJ..... mind you, the up side of it all is that the Labour party as a whole may well come in last place after the monster raving looney party (no not the Lib Dems....) and we will never have to see the sneering cockeyed face of Gordon Brown on our screens again. (Hopefully the SNP will put up a good candidate against him and wipe the floor with his majority!)

"Now that's a bit cruel PJ"

Fair enough Baz but maybe a more mature Conservative candidate would have polled higher?

What got my back up on here with Jonathan L's opening posts on here was that he wanted to be funded by a charity. He has since removed these references WC ( :D ) so you do not have the benefit of them. I do not give a fig for any political party and have gone from apathy to outrage in the last few years or so.

Welcome to the Forum, Warrington Conservative.

I look forward to further posts. May I suggest that you take a leaf out of Paul's book. He is political, but not political in his comments.

A suggestion, alter your name to something shorter as it is not a good abbreviation. :wink: