Olympics UK.

observer

Seems the cost of our Olympic Stadium has gone up to over ?500million! :shock: Rumour has it, that it's due to a special college extension being added. :? The college will train our athletes in the art of excuses as to why they didn't win a meddle; some of the lecturers are going to be drawn from Parliament! :wink:

Surely not...although wasn't Sir Ming an olympic athlete....in the early 60s. :wink:

There will be a lot more cost increases before 2012, it is a bottomless pit.

Maybe out of respect for the world's poor and starving, we should have the Economy Olympic Games and use existing facilities of which I'm sure we would have enough, could even use some money to do up local facilities, that cash strapped local authorities are unable to do.

Maybe out of respect for the world's poor and starving, we should have the Economy Olympic Games and use existing facilities of which I'm sure we would have enough, could even use some money to do up local facilities, that cash strapped local authorities are unable to do.

Steady Paul. :roll::shock:

Surely not...although wasn't Sir Ming an olympic athlete....in the early 60s. :wink:

There will be a lot more cost increases before 2012, it is a bottomless pit.

And wasn't Seb Coe an athlete and Tory M.P. and he is now running the whole shebang?

Have a word with him regarding your ideas Paul. :wink::wink::)

• 2 weeks later...

On a great value Swiss Rail Pass tour of their country over last two weeks and stopped off at the Olympic Museum and HQ in Lausanne - intrigued to find that on the display showing current position on the 2012 London Olympics the ITEM 1 reads 'FIRST PRESENT THE BILL TO THE PARLIAMENT' - has anyone told Seb, Tessa or Gordon ??

My only disappointment was that no one can could tell me why Joe Public never gets to see the OFFICIAL OLYMPIC FILMS which are produced for every Games - the BERLIN 1936 film is supposed to be a masterpiece but I have never met anyone who has seen it - the female director died a couple of years back - sorry rambling off the topic (again)

Pedro did you ask at the museum?

Great place, I did some research on the Chris Vose when I was there in '97. It was amazing to read about the games all those years ago. I left them a Chris Vose t-shirt from the Road Race that I organised in his memory - you know of course that he was the Captain of the 1920 Silver medal winning Cross-Country team.

http://www.olympics.org.uk/athleterecord.aspx?at=6137

Did you ever meet him?

I ran the inaugural 'Chris Vose' from Long Lane when CV was the starter and presented the prizes - Ron Hill first home.

Spent some time in the library at Olympic Museum but no one could explain the Official Films secrecy - some highlights DVDs on sale in shop but overall I thought the souvenirs were unimaginative - treated myself to a pocket handkerchief - how sad is that ?

[quote="PJ Callands

And wasn't Seb Coe an athlete and Tory M.P. and he is now running the whole shebang?

Have a word with him regarding your ideas Paul. ]

Not sure he's still a member of the party anymore...and not sure he'd be interested in my views anyway. :wink:

And you are right, he was the MP for Falmouth and a close adviser to William Hague when he was party Leader...baseball cap ideas etc.

I ran the inaugural 'Chris Vose' from Long Lane when CV was the starter and presented the prizes - Ron Hill first home.

Spent some time in the library at Olympic Museum but no one could explain the Official Films secrecy - some highlights DVDs on sale in shop but overall I thought the souvenirs were unimaginative - treated myself to a pocket handkerchief - how sad is that ?

I used the photo in Ron Hill's book of him with CV after the inaugural race (with Ron's approval). I had it copied onto a mug for each runner who finished in 1989 with a quote from Alf Tupper, 'I'd rather have a cup of tea than a medla' :D As for souveniers for some reason I bought a book on the 1924 games and a Sydney 2000 baseball - it's still in it's original wrapper. I hope that there will be some more inspiring souveniers for 2012.

I have a piece of the 1958 Commonwealth Games (or maybe it was the last Empire Games) athletics track somewhere in my attic. Track was laid in the old Cardiff Arms Park just for the Games (as they did at Melbourne Cricket ground for 1956 Olympics and 2006 Commonwealths). Immediately after the closing ceremony vandals like me hacked up pieces of the track for keepsakes - probably reduced the impending track break up costs considerably :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...