policemen in the 1950's

interested

Flippin eck Bren.

I also lived in Dallam. I know all about putting tin cans and bottles on the fence so that the train drivers would throw lumps of coal at them when they passed. And walking or I should say running to the bridge at Dallam sheds if we knew there was a train coming, so we could get caught in the steam as the train passed below us. Pure nectar it was, I can smell it just thinking about it. Steam trains with names such as The Duchess Of Sutherland were a joy to see.

Alana.

Getting a sack of coke in the pram, or Donegaul Taxi as we used to call it was a regular Saturday morning job for me. You first had to queue up for a ticket, and then queue up for the coke. And I used to get six penneth of lamp oil (parrafin) from Bobs off-licence opposite the gas works in a pop bottle to pollish the lino with. Jeepers! they were dangerous times.

Re:Screaming Alice.

I thought this was just one of me grannys owld tales. In more recent years I was in warrington library where I found reference to Screaming Alice of Batersby Lane. She was a poor unfortunate victim of Spontaneus Human Combustion.

P,S.

sorry if me spellings not up to scratch, but I've put me specs down somewhere and I can't remember where.

Panic over.

I found me specs. They were on top of me napper all the time.

To put matters back on track, I never knew of P.C. Dooley. But A few people that I know have told me about him. Any backchat from a juvinile would be delt with by a swish of his cape around the lughole.

The only police officer that I knew of was P.C. Nixon? who used to stand at the zebra crossing at Bewsey bridge. At certain times he would be on the school stage being introduced to us by our headmaster. The order of the day was that running to school was not allowed and anybody caught doing so would be dealt with. Needless to say, once we came into view of the zebra crossing we stopped running because we were late for assembly, and walked past P.C. Nixon. Nowadays some pupils stroll along and think pfhhhtttt, so what?

[ 26.01.2008, 15:45: Message edited by: Wingnut ]

Love this old chestnut about "swish of the cape". There will be very few people alive who ever witnessed it.(or the belt around the ear") - for ordinary misbehaviour. Police capes were marvellous things. Hands in pockets and not a soul knew. Couple of pies in the lining or a bottle or two if you were on the winwick road (Walkers) beat.

I joined the police in 1955 and the hit em with the cape had gone long before then.

There were two PC Nixons. One has died and the other still on the go. The former was 6 foot three and an ex guardsman.; the other more thick set. Both very strong worldly wise men of the type who left the forces just after the war.

Happy days

[ 26.01.2008, 21:34: Message edited by: harry hayes ]