woolworths

Lynn Leggott

Yep, still there.

They tried to go trendy a few years ago, and found out that it didn't work. So they have gone back to what they are known for, and the reason people shop there.

Marks did a similar thing, and that didn't work.

These companies seem to neglect who their customers are, when coming up with these fancy ideas.

Back in the 1950's they used to have a milk bar along the left hand wall as you walk in,my Sister used to take me and leave me with a milkshake(I was 8 at the time) while she went upstairs to the record dept that sold Embassy records,that were covers by unknown singers of all the latest chart songs.

[ 15.08.2007, 12:23: Message edited by: Latchford Locks ]

Yeah! I'd forgotten about the milk bar until you reminded me. What is the place like now? I remember it was set out in sort of rectangular stalls with a space in the middle where the shop assistants used to stand and serve people. You used to pick up what you wanted and hand it over to them and pay. I suppose it's all checkouts now?

upstairs woolworths is a place I still dream of from time to time, it was very important to me in my youth (toys) I still remember the lift and stairs at the back and the satirs at the right side of the entrance, I think the shop was much smarter looking back then...its kinda scruffy now.

Sorry, don't remember the man with the pram but it might come back to me. Still would like to know what the layout is like now. Is it the same as it used to be or just checkouts like everywhere else? It's amazing how many people have great memories of Woolworths. To me it almost epitomises the Warrington of my youth.

It has several different check- out points. Memories are often best left in the cup-board. Somewhat similar to what it used to be but I

find it a fairly depressing and unexciting place to shop. The opposition have over-taken it.

As an ex policeman for 30 years and resident for a great deal longer, the whole town is full of ghosts - things like they used to be.

The price of being old no doubt.

best wishes Happy days

I'm sure you are right. Best to remember it the way it was. I doubt that I will ever come back and see it the was it is anyway. Still, one never knows. I might come into some money one of these days. I assume Harry that you were a policeman in Warrington for 30 years. Do you know Kenny Banner? He was a policman when I left 40 years ago.

Lynn,

He left to seek alternative employment. At that time as you probably remember, people used to swop and change jobs willy nilly. Probably at least half of recruits didn,t complete the first two years.

If I remember rightly Thames board mills was a chief cause of that as they paid good money then, but there were others. The good old days when good jobs were easy to come by.

Happy days

jobs still are easy to come by, the trouble is the excess benefit systems we offer in the country, sap the taxes of the workers of their earnings, while providing the feckless with no incentive to go out and work, and who can blame them when the diffrence between living in relative freedom with subsidy is the alternative to taking work for the sake of pride, loosing all your freetime for a meagre differential.

reduce taxes, reduce benefits, increase workforce.