Should he go or should he stay?

theinsider

Should Cullen go or stay  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cullen go or stay

• Go
    • Stay

• 3 weeks later...

When the authorities decided to have a year without promotion and relegation it was in the belief that without those pressures coaches could relax, knowing fullwell that their positions were secure regardless of what position in the league their team would finish.

Strange how without those pressures 3 coaches (a quarter of super league) have now lost their jobs. :?:?:?

So what has a year without relegation achieved???

I don't think that Paul Cullen losing his job had anything to do with the absence of promotion and relegation. The calls for him to go have been coming ever since he was given a two year extension to his contract,a decision which was seen as a step too far for many supporters. The team had sunk to a new low in playing performances despite the quality signings(supposedly) of new players. It was just a matter of time until old timers such as myself started to stay away, having better things to do than grow more and more depressed about what was being served up at the Halliwell Jones. I see like Mr Cullen you're an Orfordian so naturally want the local lad to *do good*. Well, we all wanted that but it was obvious it wasn't going to happen and he had to go. Hopefully the corner will be turned soon and we start to see once more a team worth watching. It got to the stage last season when I found the aviation traffic to and from Manchester Airport overhead at the HJ more interesting than what was being served up on the pitch.

I don't think that Paul Cullen losing his job had anything to do with the absence of promotion and relegation. The calls for him to go have been coming ever since he was given a two year extension to his contract,a decision which was seen as a step too far for many supporters.

I suppose I should have put this as a new topic because my point wasn't really about Cullen in particular. As you have said Safe the decision about Cullen was long overdue so why did it happen in the year of no relegation, along with 2 other coaches. The whole point of no relegation was to give super league coaches a chance to build a side without the pressures of a normal seasons' ups and downs.

In much the same way that Super League was introduced in order to help a Gt Britain team compete with Australia and up to now has failed miserably so the introduction of a no relegation year has also failed.

I think the Board acted because of the alarmingly low attendance at the Castleford game. There was only just over 7.000 people there. It's true the match was televised but even a couple of seasons ago if the game was on TV we would get a crowd of around 10.000. Where were the missing 3.000 supporters ? They must have considered that doing something else was more worthwhile. Drastic action had to be taken to prevent the club going into decline. Once supporters get used to doing something else on match days it's a heck of a job to get them back. My guess is that we'll get a healthy crowd for the game with Hull KR on Sunday. I for one will be returning.

[quote name="KeithR

In much the same way that Super League was introduced in order to help a Gt Britain team compete with Australia and up to now has failed miserably so the introduction of a no relegation year has also failed.

Keith' date=' you are correct. The Rugby League authorities haven't a clue.

We are no further ahead in competing against the Aussies than we were 12 years ago.

The introduction of a no relegation year was primarily to give coaches a chance to coach without the threat of being fired, and yet just as many coaches (if not more) have lost their jobs this year than years with relegation.

Add to that the constant changing of rules regarding 1 up 1 down, 1 up 2 down, 2 down 1 up, 0 up 0 down .............. the mind boggles.

The authorities are determined to get the likes of Celtic Crusaders in Super League even though they can only muster a home attendance of 500+ and their away support struggles to reach 100 whilst also maintaining the position of Harlequins and Catalans :?

Rugby Union has gone from strength to strength and the media coverage and following puts League to shame even though the game is crap.