Should parenting classes be compulsory?

observer

Currently, Social Services (through the Courts) have powers to take children (at risk) into care. A slightly more proactive approach would merely be an extension of that. Clearly we have some folk who are totally unprepared for the responsibilities of parenthood, some form of screening, with training and conseling could prepare them or allow intervention PRIOR to such tragedies. :cry:

Surely that's how the system is supposed to work now isn't it? Unfortunately we keep getting cases come to light where the Social Services have either failed to intervene when they should, or have gone completely the other way, taking children away from parents citing imagined "satanic abuse" and such like. Better training of social workers may be a better option than training of parents. :idea::idea:

Sadly there have always been inadequate parents and there is enough evidence to support the cycle of deprivation theory. Parenting classes should really be on the school curriculum. Children spend so much time learning stuff that will be of absolutely no use to them in adult life, and essentials such as parenting and household finance never get a look in.

I was at MacDonalds on Winwick Road today and saw a young mum give her baby boy who could not have been more than 1 a happy meal with nuggets, chips and a cup of Coke.

So yes, parenting classes should be made a legal requirement!

I had 18 years of parenting classes from my parents.

parenting cannot be taught from any other source, anything else is a pointless class which will be met with resentment and riddicule.

its sad but true, the bad parents of today are a product of the bad parents of the 60s & 70s.

the only way to change this emerging epidemic is through chavTV.

make a reality program "I'm a bad parent get my kids outta here", lowlives dont like their own reflection.