I have left the Green Party

Shelley

I wasn't originally going to make an announcement about it, but with the coming of the following resolution I felt it was necessary to disassociate my name with them. News about it was on their website during the time I was busy campaigning, but I didn't have time to look at it thoroughly at that time. My final straw reason for leaving mentioned in my blog is related to being reminded of seeing it. See

http://shelleywalsh.wordpress.com/ .

Now that I have had the chance to read it more carefully, my suspicions of them are confirmed.

I urge anyone who is thinking about supporting the Green Party to give some serious thought to whether you want to put your name to this sort of thing. I do not like Bush look to Israel as the realization of Abraham and Isaac, but you'd have to boycott a good portion of the world to justify this. You couldn't do that, of course, because they are supplying us with oil. Israel, a country the size of Wales with a population smaller than that of Greater London is a cheap coward's target.

RIP08.1: Justice for the Palestinians

(Originally passed Spring 2008 Conference)

Conference believes that the plight of the Palestinians is an issue that is central to the ongoing instability and violence in the Middle East. A just and durable peace in the Middle East is impossible without a just resolution to the dispossession of the Palestinian people.

Israel has for forty years illegally occupied the West Bank, Gaza and the Golan Heights.

Israel is in violation of dozens of UN Resolutions, including Security Council Resolution 242 of 1967, calling for Israeli withdrawal from the lands occupied in the Six Day War.

There are more than 200 settlements in the Occupied Palestinian Territories, all of them illegal under international law. Approximately 400,000 settlers live in the West Bank, including over 220,000 in Occupied East Jerusalem.

Settlement areas, bypass roads and military areas account for more than 79% of the land in the West Bank. Israel?s confiscation of Palestinian land and appropriation of water resources constitutes a theft without compensation for Palestinians. Settlements consume more than 80% of the renewable water resources in the West Bank and Gaza.

About one million Palestinians are citizens of a supposedly democratic Israel, but they are denied many rights of citizens, including the right to acquire land or property. 92 % of the land falls under the administration of the Jewish National Fund, and cannot be sold to non-Jews. As a result the Israeli Arabs who make up 19% of the population own only 4% of the land.

Israeli law allows Palestinian areas to be designated ?state land.? In all, there are 38 statutes in force enabling the Israeli state to expropriate Palestinian land.

In order to render already substantial facts on the ground? irreversible, the Apartheid Wall the Israeli Government is now building snakes deep into the West Bank to effectively annex the illegal settlement blocs into Israel. When finished, the separation zones could leave on the ?Israeli? side up to 60% of the West Bank.

Therefore we resolve to:

• Work towards a just solution based on international law and an end to Israeli occupation of the Occupied Territories
    Demand that the blockade on all Occupied Palestinian Territories be lifted and freedom of movement guaranteed
    Campaign for the release all the elected Palestinian parliamentarians kidnapped by the Israeli Army
    Reiterate our call on Israel to allow Palestinians and their families to return to their former homes, or to compensate those unable or unwilling to return.
    Support the Call for Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions made by more than 170 Palestinian civil society organizations and community groups.

http://policy.greenparty.org.uk/rops/ropsip.html

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shelley, having read your Weblog, or the first two parts of it, I can see why you would want to get out of that rabble. They seem to be either just playing at politics or in it for their own selfish ends. I can't say I agree with you on so called global warming or the nuclear power issue, but wouldn't life be boring if we had nothing to argue about? Good luck finding a party you can agree with, but I think you'll find it hard to find one that isn't split in some way or another. What fun!! :D:D:D

Shelley, you could always be independent of the Political Party nonsense and start off with small issues which you can have some influence over. It can be really gratifying. I am presently trying to get this Council to provide more allotments to meet a huge demand throughout the town. Now that is probably as green an issue as can be and as I do not have a clue about Middle Eastern politics let alone a desire to meddle in them there should be no conflict of interests. Good luck anyway whatever you decide to do.

What could possibly be Green about Palestinians? I am appalled, stunned, and knuckling my eyes in disbelief at such a NON-GREEN stqtement.

In a film maybe from the 1980s, a right wing writer named John Milius predicted a future in RED DAWN where the Greens won an election in Europe and the Cubans take it as a signal to drop armed forces within the USA. As a left winger I found that a disgusting smear. Now I think he was prescient. (Milius also wrote Conan the Barbarian)

Obs is a master of sarcasm when he asks "just what was not accurate" -- I have to laugh. You folks have such a keen sense of humour.

So who are you going to support for their green credentials?
At the present time, I think the Lib Dems are the best.

Shelly, how long were you with the green party for?

From your postings it seems that you are somewhat bitter towards the other green party members who you worked alongside, supported and indeed stood with at the recent local elections. Life is too short and don't get bitter :wink::D

It is admirable that you stand by what you believe in although what would you have done of you HAD been elected as a 'green' on the 1st May ... would you have resigned from your new 'green' local seat :shock: .

As for joining the Lib Dems...... I think you may loose some well earned street cred there :shock:

Shelly, how long were you with the green party for?

Less than a year.

From your postings it seems that you are somewhat bitter towards the other green party members who you worked alongside, supported and indeed stood with at the recent local elections. Life is too short and don't get bitter :wink::D
Not really. We're still friends. They just aren't ready to go anywhere with it.

It is admirable that you stand by what you believe in although what would you have done of you HAD been elected as a 'green' on the 1st May ... would you have resigned from your new 'green' local seat :shock: .
I only ever had a chance for the parish council anyway, and my disagreements with the national party would have not been relevant for it. I probably would have disowned the resolution at the very least. Sian Berry apparently hasn't, and some Jewish people in London weren't very happy about it.

As for joining the Lib Dems...... I think you may loose some well earned street cred there :shock:
I only said they have the best green credentials, something pretty well recognized. But whatever party I join, I will always be at least as much of an independent as Paul is. And if the BNP were to infiltrate the Conservative party the way the hard left are infiltrating the Green Party, I certainly wouldn't think less of Paul if he switched parties because of it.

That is most kind of you, but in the highly unlikely event of that happening I think I would probably retire from politics and try to return to business....or retire altogether from everything. :wink::)

With regards to the Greens, their politics have always been quite left of centre.

With regards to environmentalism, believe it or not I am personally quite an environmentalist, not least because I have 2 children and am considering their future...as they did not ask to be born, but my environmentalism is one based on a pragmatic rather than a dogmatic approach.

I do wish you well Shelley.

With regards to environmentalism, believe it or not I am personally quite an environmentalist, not least because I have 2 children and am considering their future...as they did not ask to be born, but my environmentalism is one based on a pragmatic rather than a dogmatic approach.

Sounds good. The environment is too important to be a partisan issue. I think of myself as fairly pragmatic as well. See http://shelleywalsh.wordpress.com/2008/05/24/simple-transport-solution/ . I've sent this to the transport minister and both shadow transport ministers as well as my MP and Jo Crotty. I plan to send it to your PPC as well when I find his email address.

• 2 weeks later...

Like other posters, I'm not sure where you are on the Israel resolution Shelley? What I would say is that Israel may be only the size of Wales with a small(ish) but rapidly growing population, but it also has one of the largest military capabilities in the world, has an enormous undeclared nuclear arsenal, is in contravention of 175 separate UN resolutions, has maimed and murdered thousands of Palestinians and has 'imprisoned' millions of Palestinians through an obcsene system of checkpoints, walls, curfews, raids and unspeakable inhumane practices. Israel is only able to continue in its quest to secure the entire of Isael/Palestine for itself because of the $3.5 billion a year 'donated' by the US.

The majority of Jews in Israel are not secular, they have moved there, from the US and Europe (and more recently from Ethiopia etc) with the sole intention of re-taking the promised land. The settlers in the West Bank in particular are extremists who carry guns and rifles and will shoot at any non-Jew.

The majority of Jews in Israel are not secular, they have moved there, from the US and Europe (and more recently from Ethiopia etc) with the sole intention of re-taking the promised land. The settlers in the West Bank in particular are extremists who carry guns and rifles and will shoot at any non-Jew.

This most certainly wasn't true when I was there in 1990.

Most of what you say is sadly true, though, but it's not the whole story. Look into the whole background of it all, and you will probably find some surprising things. I don't want to get into a lengthy who's fault was this, who's was that discussion, but I think it is better support the peace efforts than to take sides.

What I also want to distance myself from in it is the influence of the hard left on the Green Party that was associated with the passing of the resolution in the first place. RESPECT friends of Derek Wall were behind it. These people give a bad name to environmentalism by only caring about it only as a means to take down capitalism. This makes them far more willing to find problems than solutions.

Sadly Shelley the situation now is as I describe. I have been to I-P twice in the past couple of years, working to support peace groups on both sides to join together for the benefit of a lasting peace. Whilst I agree entirely that a peaceful, non violent solution must be sought, the Israeli govenment must take responsibility for their dehumanising and humiliating system of control.

As for The Greens - sometimes serious problems require radical and rapid solutions. We have pandered too long to those who desire to maintain the staus quo and their own (unsustainable) lifestyles, at the expense of those without a voice. The Greens may be leaning left of centre - I don't know - but neither the Conservatives nor Labour have been prepared to lose votes by suggesting or implementing the measures that are becoming inevitable. Against a background of such flaccidity, any passionate cause will appear radical!

Cheers

Sadly Shelley the situation now is as I describe. I have been to I-P twice in the past couple of years, working to support peace groups on both sides to join together for the benefit of a lasting peace. Whilst I agree entirely that a peaceful, non violent solution must be sought, the Israeli govenment must take responsibility for their dehumanising and humiliating system of control.

As for The Greens - sometimes serious problems require radical and rapid solutions. We have pandered too long to those who desire to maintain the staus quo and their own (unsustainable) lifestyles, at the expense of those without a voice. The Greens may be leaning left of centre - I don't know - but neither the Conservatives nor Labour have been prepared to lose votes by suggesting or implementing the measures that are becoming inevitable. Against a background of such flaccidity, any passionate cause will appear radical!

Cheers

Pretty much all true, except that some actually are radical. Even Chomsky is against a boycott. If you read the small print of their policies you will find plenty of other examples. passionate is one thing, militant is quite another. Also sometimes serious problems require real commitment to solutions rather than knee-jerk scape-goating.

Don't get me wrong. I think they have a lot of good ideas, and that it is good that they exist, because they make people think. There's just too much there that I can't put my name to, particularly in a town where I'm on my own in it. Leaning left is increasingly becoming an understatement, with it becoming a haven for disaffected Old Labour.

You're welcome to take my place if you want, though. They're having a meeting tonight. They are desperate for someone to stand in the general election for them, so you might even get chosen to be their Warrington South PPC if you showed up. I told them that this was not a good way to establish good relations with the Lib Dems, but David was very determined, so if you've got ?500 or could help them raise it, you could probably stand for them.

Meetings are held at 7:00 pm every 3rd Monday of the month in the back room of the Bull?s Head Public House on Church Street in Warrington. According to David, they are having a special one this evening as well, so you go girl!