What is the Wire’s problem?

Rae Elizabeth

On 7/30/2022 at 8:02 PM, Rae Elizabeth said:

So having been a lifelong fan of the Wire, I’m now worried we may end up being relegated. I wanted to know what the thoughts are behind their current state of play? Is it the coach? Are we missing a game maker like Briers? 

Welcome to the forum Rae - As a lifelong rugby fine who has followed the team for more than 40 years I sadly became disillusioned pretty much the same time as Tony Smith who left the game briefly before returning. The game doesn't seem to be progressing and despite, on its day, being the best spectator sport int he world, it is light years behind Football, Rugby Union and now Women's Football when it comes to capturing the media's attention. In a town of 220,000 people and a club with such a logn history as Warrington's it should be playing to packed houses week in week out in a 15,000 capacity stadium.

There seems a huge focus on social media to reach out to fans and potential fans and now a pay-per-view TV channel to see player and coach interviews. I don't personally see this as a great way of expansion and bringing in new fans. But what do I know? I can't see myself returning anytime soon which is a shame because I know a lot of good people dedicate a lot of time and money to the cause. Let's hope this season is a blip but they must avoid relegation at all cost or they will suffer a similar fate to another great old club Widnes. Wire v Widnes on Boxing Day and Good Friday used to be the highlight of any season back in the 70s and early 80s. Then they started messing with the game and even talked of merging the clubs. The dangle of Sky money then came along and we are we are.  I can now watch so much sport and RL on TV why would I ever need to attend a game which for a family of four is going to set you back best part of £100 when you take everything into account.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Gary said:

Welcome to the forum Rae - As a lifelong rugby fine who has followed the team for more than 40 years I sadly became disillusioned pretty much the same time as Tony Smith who left the game briefly before returning. The game doesn't seem to be progressing and despite, on its day, being the best spectator sport int he world, it is light years behind Football, Rugby Union and now Women's Football when it comes to capturing the media's attention. In a town of 220,000 people and a club with such a logn history as Warrington's it should be playing to packed houses week in week out in a 15,000 capacity stadium.

There seems a huge focus on social media to reach out to fans and potential fans and now a pay-per-view TV channel to see player and coach interviews. I don't personally see this as a great way of expansion and bringing in new fans. But what do I know? I can't see myself returning anytime soon which is a shame because I know a lot of good people dedicate a lot of time and money to the cause. Let's hope this season is a blip but they must avoid relegation at all cost or they will suffer a similar fate to another great old club Widnes. Wire v Widnes on Boxing Day and Good Friday used to be the highlight of any season back in the 70s and early 80s. Then they started messing with the game and even talked of merging the clubs. The dangle of Sky money then came along and we are we are.  I can now watch so much sport and RL on TV why would I ever need to attend a game which for a family of four is going to set you back best part of £100 when you take everything into account.

Thank you! Agree with everything you’ve said Gary. I also became disillusioned with it when Tony Smith left. We seemed to really have lost that passion within the game. We were all riding high after the challenge cup wins and we all expected big progress after that which sadly never materialised. I will never understand why Rugby Union gets more attention when it’s a less face paced game. I still think we need a playmaker like Lee Briers. Give him a few years learning the ropes at Wigan then he can come back as head coach. That’s when things will start getting interesting again.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2022 at 1:20 PM, Rae Elizabeth said:

Thank you! Agree with everything you’ve said Gary. I also became disillusioned with it when Tony Smith left. We seemed to really have lost that passion within the game. We were all riding high after the challenge cup wins and we all expected big progress after that which sadly never materialised. I will never understand why Rugby Union gets more attention when it’s a less face paced game. I still think we need a playmaker like Lee Briers. Give him a few years learning the ropes at Wigan then he can come back as head coach. That’s when things will start getting interesting again.

Briers on his way down under now!