Vote Lib Dem-Get The Tories

muttzy

But people don't vote LibDem at the general election and never have. The number of seats they have now is about what they always get.

It will be a straight fight between Labour and Tory.....

That is true, but my guess is that the L/Ds will have substantially less seats at the next G/E than they do now, 2005 was a high water mark with Iraq War...and a change of their Leader will follow shortly afterwards.

Interesting that New Labour are conducting a rather crude class based campaign in Crewe, criticising one candidate for his public school background and personal wealth - errrm, didn't know Tony Bliar was standing! :roll::wink:

Seems that the Labour Leadership have rightly disowned the campaign, and I sense that in disgust many traditional Labour voters will stay at home, and the Conservatives will get their vote out so it could be an interesting result. It is worth noting that there are many very wealthy Labour people, Lord Sainsbury for one. :wink:

Good point about Bentley's, alas they are now only assembled in Crewe, most manufacturing..including the engine, is done by VW in Germany. And of course Rolls Royce cars (owned by BMW) are now built at Goodwood in Sussex, rather than Crewe.

Good article Paul: the Lib Dems have been sqeezed out by the scramble of both Tories and New Labour to secure that magic (200,000 voters) centre ground - thus the current electoral system is, in effect, the dictatorship of a minority; leaving core voters of both right and left abandoned and unrepresented. :roll::wink:

The Lib Dem bubble is indeed about to burst. As I mentioned on my blog following the local elections.

"In an earlier post I argued election night belonged to the Tories (despite Lib Dem tub thumping) and the figures do indeed show this to be the case.

Already Cllr Kennedy (Con Hatton, Stretton & Walton) and Warrington South Tories are buoyed by their success on 1st May and have begun the phoney war of predicting local election success will bring victory in Warrington South at the next general election.

As we on the Labour side know all too well (pre 1997) council elections are not always a good indicator of how voters will cast their general election vote. The Tories still face an electoral mountain. The fact remains that in just over 11 years of a Labour Government the Tories can only 'boast' 7, yes 7 seats out of 57 on Warrington BC.

In what should be a stronghold for them - south of the Manchester Ship Canal, they can only muster 2 seats.

That does not mean that the next few years will remain barren for them. May 1st 2008, if nothing else, confirmed that 'real politics' has returned and I predict the Lib Dems will now be squeezed over the next few years as the local Tory association begins to flex its muscles at a local level south of the canal. Cllr Walker may not be the last Lib Dem to lose to the Tories over the next few years."

The traditional two party divide has now returned - Clegg will be powerless to stop this as voters turn their minds to the general election. Lib Dem MP's in the South will fall to a resurgent Conservative vote.

Further evidence of this is the current by-election in Crewe & Nantwich. If this by-election was being held pre-2005 the Lib Dems would be the main challenger to Labour - but the by-election is a straight fight between the two main parties.

You have one of the parties trying their best not to tell us what they have done and the other lot trying equally not to tell us what they would do given the chance. From my perspective you couldn't get a fag paper between the two parties now.

Already Cllr Kennedy (Con Hatton, Stretton & Walton) and Warrington South Tories are buoyed by their success on 1st May and have begun the phoney war of predicting local election success will bring victory in Warrington South at the next general election.

I think what we are actually saying is that finally, after too many barren years, we have finally turned the tide and have started to move forward. I have to admit our spirits have been buoyed by our success...albeit 2 seats...which of course does equate to a 40% increase in their numbers. As has been correctly pointed out we do only have 7 seats, with just 2 south of the Ship Canal, a situation I find shameful and should not have been allowed to happen, but it was and we are where we are, and it is our team's job to put matters right, May 1st was a start. You are right Cllr P Walker was the first....he will not be the last!

With regards to the next General Election, that largely will be determined by a national mood which at the moment is favouring the Conservatives. That being said there is much hard work to be done by the WSCA team in the likely two year run up to the next election. We never underestimate our opponents, nor take the voters for granted...........and the political climate is, I think, very volatile.

PS Good post Cllr Kenny (Lab Fairfield & Howley) :wink::)

• 2 months later...

Well the latest gem from the toga wearing, bend over at Dover, Lib Dems; is to charge the estimated 500,000 ILLEGAL immigrants in the UK ?200 per year over a 5 year period, in order to become LEGAL citizens! :roll: Sends out a good message - commit an illegal act - then buy your way out of it! :roll: Wonder where these ILLEGAL immigrants, who are not allowed to work, will get there money from? :?:wink: