New Bike Lanes

Bill

Has anyone else noticed that the bike markings on many of our local roads are being replaced with kerb stones and fixed posts? I understand there’s a potential safety issue, but I’d have thought the new ruling on safe distance might have been enough to avoid costly methods like this.

The other day, I was driving on the now considerably narrower A57 Liverpool Road and was amazed to see that having created these dedicated cycleways, the Lycra brigade still choose to ride two abreast on the main road, making it near impossible to pass them under the new rules.

Bill 😊

Funny you mention that Bill;  the E/W Expressway (misnomer if ever there was one);  has newly painted cycle ways, plus the raised studs, which now limits traffic to a single lane towards the lights next to Bank Park.  Like the money wasted on 20mph signs everywhere, this is yet another contributor to higher traffic congestion and consequent air pollution.    😠

perhaps it should be made mandatory for cyclists to only use the cycle lanes where available.

any caught on the road when cycle lanes are should then be issued with a fixed penalty notice.

the lycra louts i can cope with, it is the ninja cyclists who are the biggest menace, especially at night. black clothing and no lights and even less awareness of traffic conditions than stunned ferret.

I’d go along with that Sid.

I don’t know when I last saw anyone riding a bike along the expressway, I know I wouldn’t. Even with these new lanes, it’s still not completely safe as they only go part of the way and it’s not like it’s possible to bunny hop onto the pavement along there as it’s all covered in anti-people brickwork.

Bill 😊