Armed Police in Town ?

Observer II

• 1 month later...
On 4/29/2022 at 6:32 PM, Observer II said:

Noticed two police persons armed with assault rifles, walking through the market today.   Presume there would have been some kind of incident requireing them, anyone heard anything ?    :unsure:

You need to read our news pages and get out more often Obs - we have reported on the new operations involving armed police on our streets last October as part of Operation Servator https://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2021/10/12/police-tactic-to-tackle-criminality-including-terrorism-under-trial-in-warrington/

I was out, in the Market. 😉As for Operation Servator. The idea that armed Police walking through crowds of people provides security escapes me. It would take a gang of nutters seconds to relieve these Police persons of their weapons, so would amount to supplying weapons to nutters.   :rolleyes:

Policing depends on the general public having a little policeman in their head making them wary or at least aware of police presence and giving them the feeling of what have i done wrong. This makes them at least behave when police are around an din fact when they are not around, just in case they happen to around the next corner.

The police are always out numbered and if people really realise this then the police would stand no chance no matter what weaponry they were carrying.

Apart from the drunks at weekend when was the last time you saw a roaming gang of nutters in Warrington?

10 hours ago, Observer II said:

The idea that armed Police walking through crowds of people provides security escapes me.

It may not provide security but it does provide peace of mind for the majority of people. Police seen to be about tends to do that armed or otherwis.

Sadly, a sign of the times but I don’t think they’re trying to protect us from gangs of nutters because in most cases of terrorism, it tends to be carried out by a lone individual with a death wish. Plus, armed police inevitably go round in pairs so it’s more likely any nutter would end up getting their wish before they could disarm both of them. 😄

I suppose we should think ourselves lucky that we don’t live somewhere like the USA where the nutter already has a fully automatic assault weapon.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

The prospect a 9mm lump off lead in the ear usually slows them down a bit. When it comes to armed officers how big they are does not really matter it is how big the gun they are carrying that usually carries the argument, as well as rate of fire of course.

Not in close proximity Sid, in a crowded situation a person with a rifle can easily be assaulted from behind and the weapon taken.  If they want "armed" police, a hand gun would be more appropriate in such circumstances, or for that matter, a tazer or pepper spray.   A rifle is by definition a distance weapon.   :rolleyes: