Flood risk -

Observer II

"The new research by Bristol-based flood-mapping business, Fathom, is based on the first model to use climate crisis data to predict which areas will be the most at risk of flooding due to rivers or heavy rainfall (non-costal) in Great Britain by mid-century."

So not official but hyped up rubbish as a sales gimmick using even more hyped up climate excuses!

What is worse they claim a 30 year increase of : Warrington, England – 14.36%, up from 13.28% which doesn't seem a significant increase when WBC should be worried about the 13.28%.

BTW I just did cut and paste from the Yahoo article and the original was in that paragon of Left wing climate activism, The Independent. Not a significant story in my book.

When my house insurance went up yet again I phoned to complain as after 12 years no claims 'its not really fair.

I was told my post code was in a designated flood zone'

I explained that we had recently had £23 million pounds worth of flood defence completed.

Immediately without a moments pause ...I was told it did not count as we were still designated a flood risk..😲. It's crazy I was banging my head against a brick wall 

It seemed obvious the call handler was working off a sheet of standard caller answers. 

It's daylight robbery putting it mildly 😒

See the source image

According to the flood maps, I’m in an at-risk area but in the whole of my life we’ve never come anywhere close to being flooded. I sometimes wonder if the people that create these computer models know how to account for the drainage capacity of the ship canal.

Bill 😊

Thinking about how the ship canal helps to prevent the Mersey from flooding, I was wondering if the same principle could be applied at Sankey Brook by allowing excess water to drain into the Sankey Canal. It’d need a good clear out to remove several miles of silt and reeds but it’d be money well spent if it stopped the flooding in that area.

Bill 😊

got to find them first Bill.

so many picture files on various hard drives and memory cards that finding a particular set is a few hours searching. (mrs sids photo fame gadget has over 1400 pictures on it alone)

if i do find them i will probably try google photo as i have an account with them i was surprised to find out. (must have set it up ages ago and forgot about it)

My program of choice for photo editing is photoshop 7 it is something i have used for quite a while so know a lot of the quirks it has to offer and good for cleaning up old photos, even the very faded ones if i scan them in at a high resolution.

will keep searching they must be in one of the many folders inside folders inside folders i have stored away........👀

• 5 months later...

We were discussing the Sankey brook flooding problem in the pub last week after an article appeared online where the water authorities were looking to the public for suggestions.

It seems the brook is at a level slightly lower than the level of the canal but given they both end up emptying into the Mersey a mile or so downstream, that doesn’t mean it can’t be done. Under normal circumstances, I’d expect the brook to be lower than a canal but under flood conditions if the canal sluice was opened, the level might drop below that of the flooded brook allowing it to take the excess. 

The guys said that given the amount of new housing development going on around the Vulcan area, the situation could only get worse.

Food for thought.

Bill 😊

You’re not exactly on a hill there Sid and Sankey brook is right on your doorstep so I’d keep your wellies handy just in case. 😊

I’ve just been doing a bit more reading trying to find out the difference between the water levels in the canal verses the brook. Apparently, the canal is losing mega amounts of water since the closure of the power station. The station apparently pumped cooling water from the Mersey which then run into the canal to maintain it’s levels. The pumps were left to run for a wile after the closure but now they’ve stopped, and levels have dropped dramatically.

To my way of thinking, this would be an ideal opportunity to kill two birds with one stone, but it seems historical preservation and ecological matters trumps flood risk, so much so that the council now needs to find a million pounds each year just to keep it topped up. It seems crazy to pump water from the Mersey just to fill a partial section of the canal which then can’t take any flood water.  

Bill 😊

there is quite a lot of low lying open land leading down to the mersey from where i am and although i am not on a hill the water would have to rise about fifteen feet just to get to the gates the end of our street and a further five feet to get to our doorstep.

by that time the ark would be ready to go apart from the vegans. (i would not be able to cater for them due to the food they eat being needed for the animals"....🤦‍♀️