Is covid over?

Bill

After a week of 12 of us mixing in incredably crowded indoor conditions in the theam parks, I felt sure that statitically by now a least one of the family would have become infected.

Nobody, including my family group of 12, is wearing a mask and the close indoor queing with the younger generation is probably a worst case situation but so far we are  all still in the cear.

If I can get away with this it gives me hope that my weekly pub visit isn't as risky ad I thought.

Bill :)

The trend is that there are fewer infections being confirmed reading Gary's reports on the main page, which would lead one to believe that it is petering out.

Whether this is due to vaccination or just herd immunity i do not know.

what is has meant is that restrictions are now minimal and people can now go to other countries for their holidays and once again get the chance to bring a new strain back to start the cycle over again. cynical maybe but probably true.

No doubt the conspiracy theorist will have their own slant on this.

Going down the pub for an hour or two every week is probably as risky as the weekly visit to the supermarket and less risky than a daily visit to your local newsagent for the paper.

Despite it being out of season for the Florida theam parks it's been incredabilly busy and we've been packed in like animals. Masks were needed while in queues and inside but this was stopped last Tuesday and now I'd say less than 1% are wearing them.

Just off now to watch a rocket launch at Cape Canaveral. Weather in the mid 80s every day so getting some extra vitamin D.

53 minutes ago, Bill said:

Just off now to watch a rocket launch at Cape Canaveral. Weather in the mid 80s every day so getting some extra vitamin D.

Lucky sod ..

Florida has never been high on my wish list but Cape Canaveral is really something I'd enjoy have a great time 👌

She's probably got a sore throat due to whatever covid variant we are experiencing at present.

oddly enough i was reading somewhere that the recent floods in china were a result of covid. The lockdown led to a drop in greenhouse gasses which changed the local climate and caused excess rainfall.

Makes you wonder about going green.....🤔

Florida would be right at the bottom of places I'd choose but this was top of the wifes bucket list for when we retired. A nice treat for all the grandkids but I'm hateing it all and counting the days to when I can get back to being grumpy :)

The Spacex rocket launch was good although we were too late arriving to get to best viewing area. Perfect visibility though from the space centre car park and was able to see it right into space. The noise it made was incredable even though we were several miles away. Mask wearing was was in force there despite it being far less crowded than the parks. Seems places here just make thier own rules up. 

Prices here are sky high these days with the ladies saying everything in the supermarket is nearly double what we'd pay in the UK. Petrol is about $ 3.5 a gallon but road tolls soon make up for that. TV is impossible to watch due to the constant interupts for adds but we do get an hour of add free BBC news most days.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Bill said:

Florida would be right at the bottom of places I'd choose but this was top of the wifes bucket list for when we retired. A nice treat for all the grandkids but I'm hateing it all and counting the days to when I can get back to being grumpy :)

Well it's not over in the Green household as the wife's just tested positive. She was clear before the flight home so maybe she got it on the plane? I’m showing all clear at the moment but keeping well clear of her as I normally do. 😊

Bill :)

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

Well it's not over in the green household as the wife's just tested positive. She was clear before the flight home so maybe she got it on the plane? I’m showing all clear at the moment but keeping well clear of her as I normally do. 😊

Bill :)

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Mrs Green.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for that. She's fine at the moment apart from a cough that she's had for the last week or so but no other symptoms. It was incredibly busy in the theme parks and she was doing all the indoor rides where there was a lot of potential for catching it. Fortunately I get quite bad motion sickness so gave most of them a miss. 

My biggest fear over going on holiday is the flight.

Once you have landed then it's the same a being at home a bit of common sense and all should be well.

But on the flight you spend hours cooped up with a couple of hundred strangers breathing in gawd knows what;

And  possibly sitting next to a stranger

It is a bad scenario and it doesn't take a genius to work out how risky all of that is,

See the source image

See the source image

To be honest I think she probably caught it before the flight back because she was coughing quite a bit. They said the aircraft had been fitted with the latest antiviral equipment and the air onboard was getting completely replaced every three minutes, plus unlike the park rides, everyone on the plane was wearing masks. We’re not too worried about this as we’re both in reasonably good health, although I suppose my weekly pint will have to be put on hold. :(

My thinking is that over the last couple of years I’ll have already breathed in a few million virus particles but never in such a big dollop that my existing immune system couldn’t deal with. I think this process makes it possible to build a gradual immunity without getting infected. That’s my theory anyway.

😊

When it's time to go you go, you normally  don't have a choice when the man with the cutting edge farming implement turns up.

i will think of you as i sit shivering on the morrow waiting for the utilities company to fit smart meters in my house, not that i really wanted them.

still it will mean no more painful crawling around on the floor trying to get the varifocals to the right angle to read them, i hope.

the biggest pain was shifting the stuff that had accumulated where they need to get. managed to move the dolls house but almost broke my leg as i struggled to put it on the floor and my hip gave me a sharp twinge.

All the best to Mrs Green and don't worry about having the weekly pint.

All the rules have gone out the window now, no need to wear a mask,unless you are robbin a bank or such, self isolation not required anymore, not even a need to get tested as far as i know, test kits will be sold over the counter for those as wants them quite soon.

Add to that the possibility of a nuclear armaggedon and nipping down to the pub seems like a stroll in the park.

46 minutes ago, Observer II said:

Are they compulsory ?   Cos I don't want them.    😠

They certainly are not compulsory. I recently moved and the previous owner had one put in between me agreeing to buy and completion. The utter ..........

Given the choice I would never have one and like Davy says they don't work well. They have a button on the actual meter and you can press it to get a digital reading for a few seconds. I suppose it drains the battery on the Gas meter - hopefully stopping the shut off valve having enough power to operate!

I’ve just done another lateral flow test and amazingly I’m still showing clear despite having exactly the same symptoms as my wife. I suppose I could just have the normal cold or flu or maybe I’ve not reached the infectious stage yet even though I’ve been coughing for the last five days.