Ship of fools ?

Observer II

With Boris now holed below the water line and UK politicians viewed globally as a joke,  one wonders if there is anyone to salvage the situation ?   Sunack is making a mess of energy prices caused by our reliance on foreign supply in the name of "net zero", Patel is clueless on immigration  (now over £4million a day on hotel costs),  Scapps sticking with dangerous "smart motorways" and introducing stupid highway code amendments.  The stupidity alas isn't confined to Westminster, seems Ms Krankie is spending £33k of public money sawing off the bottoms of school room doors, to allow for ventilation !   Assuming none of said doors are fire doors, the simple answer would be to chock them open.   :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Still on the subject of "ships": it seems, like the UKBF, the Royal Navy are refusing to "turn back" craft carrying illegal migrants to the UK from France.   They argue that a "turn back" policy would be unsafe and thus increase risks of drownings. At the moment, UKBF and RNLI are "rescuing" migrants, which requires transfering them, at sea, to a parent vessel and bringing them into the UK (Dover).  Now, if such a transfer at sea is considered safe (cos they're doing it);  why would it be unsafe to take them back towards France, transfer them back into their original craft, giving them the choice of ether repeating the journey or giving up and returning to France ?  We've now got a Government that cannot govern, because the organisations it supposed to control are refusing orders - crazy.   The safety argument they are using is totally spurious, and one wonders if the RN will refuse engagement with the Russians in the Black Sea, if ordered to do so.   Russia and China must be rolling on the floor laughing at us.    😠

I don’t know Obs, it’s like the government can only do one thing at a time. I get the argument that dealing with all the effects of Covid has taken a huge amount of their time, but you have to wonder if this hadn’t of happened, whether or not they’d have sorted the immigration problem before now.

Bill 😊

Well Bill, it seems there is no chain of command and no dicipline in our armed or civil services; so the elected Gov isn't in control anymore.  Another example, is the pathetic response of the Police to the Insulate Britain Protesters;  who've now announced they'll be back blocking the M25 again. One wonders if our public services are now so woke, they just won't obey the Gov ?    😠

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Observer II said:

Another example, is the pathetic response of the Police to the Insulate Britain Protesters;  who've now announced they'll be back blocking the M25 again

The answer to that one is to let them get on with it and block all news coverage of the event. Make each protester sign a waiver to the effect that whatever happens to them is their fault and that they have no legal comeback on anybody who decides to use them as speed humps. If a few get run over they may just think twice about what they are doing.

Or as i have said in other posts, just reverse the old diesel up to them and gun the engine for a few minutes. a few lungfuls of diesel fumes will make them move even if they are wearing masks.

• Haha 1

Your right in what you’re saying Obs but I don’t think we can point a finger at any one person or political party for the way society has evolved over time. I’m sure you’ll agree that there was a time in the past when rules or laws were made to be followed but these days people see them as unnecessary interference in their lives and that was certainly the case when it came to covid rules.

The way I see it is that we elect a government to make the hard decisions for us and trust that the democratic parliamentary process ensures that any such rules are fair. I’m sure though that many people these days refuse to accept rules or laws especially if it was passed by a party they didn’t vote for or see compliance as an optional right to refuse.

I don’t know the solution and I don’t think anyone else does. It’s taken generations to get like this, so I doubt there’s any quick fix.

Bill 😊

54 minutes ago, Bill said:

I don’t know the solution and I don’t think anyone else does. It’s taken generations to get like this, so I doubt there’s any quick fix.

Bill 😊

You are spot on Bill 👍

But at my age I find it hard to get wound up about anything that will take time to fix.

To late to worry ; so just let it ride past and let the younger generations lose the sleep over it.

With little time left for this mortal coil, I should join you in your relaxed approach to events; but it's difficult confined to quarters with a TV pumping out woke news every five minutes.  But my amazement is not with the antics of Joe Public, but with our public institutions,  who's level of obedience to orders from above appears to be lacking; which means that they can pick and choose which Gov policies they are prepared to carry out.  This is distinctly unhealthy for future social cohesion, as it implies a drift into anarchy; and indeed it will be the young generations who will pick up the tab.   :unsure:

I left school on a Friday and the following Monday began my first job in a Butchers shop aged 15 I then worked non stop for 50 years so now I claim my peace and quiet after a lifetime working, a gift that neither of my parents or in laws managed thanks to the war years and then years of austerity finally wearing them down before their time.

I watched as one by one they fell by the wayside before reaching 65.

I refused to go the same way and so I gladly hand over the reins to the young  generations without any reservations , they can then make of the future what they will and the best of luck to them. 

See the source image

• Upvote 1

Well said Latch . I look at it this way ,i have x amount of years to live , one morning will be the last i wake up to so why not enjoy what future i have left without worrying about what i can't change. It's just a pity Starmer & Boris  can't stop slinging mud at past misdemeanours & work together at making this country great again. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, ninearches said:

Well said Latch . I look at it this way ,i have x amount of years to live , one morning will be the last i wake up to so why not enjoy what future i have left without worrying about what i can't change.

Just what I have been saying .. ie. You die if you worry ; you die if you don't.

It's up to each individual to choose what they do .My anxiety has anxiety about having anxiety - Funny Anxiety - Sticker |  TeePublic

Getting stressed myself now. I got my tax code this morning against my company pension & it looks like HMRC has exaggerated my state pension. Tried to get through on Government Gateway & set up an account but the security system is asking me questions i can't answer because they are irrelevant to me. Currently trying to phone their helpline while listening to mind numbing muzak. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2022 at 4:30 PM, Bill said:

I don’t know Obs, it’s like the government can only do one thing at a time. I get the argument that dealing with all the effects of Covid has taken a huge amount of their time, but you have to wonder if this hadn’t of happened, whether or not they’d have sorted the immigration problem before now.

Bill 😊

Well hopefully the government have started to do something more positive than just hand wringing... 🙏

Britain’s illegal migrants ‘could be sent to RWANDA’ under plans to cut English Channel crossings

Boris Johnson is understood to be finalising proposals to process asylum seekers in the tiny landlocked African nation.

After scoping out potential locations, a government source has told The Times that Rwanda was now the most likely choice. 

It would see the UK give millions to Rwanda, which was memorably gripped by civil war and genocide in the 1990s. 

The Home Office did not deny the reports, 

Well lets just hope it's not another false dawn 🤞

Migrants could soon be processed in Rwanda under government plans

Can't really see this working, unless they change the HR laws and withdraw from the ECHR;  otherwise the HR lawyers will drag out and delay deportations, paid for by legal aid.   The Home Office needs to get a grip of the asylum apps, to speed then up and start deporting economic migrants asap,  most of whom are young males.  The other thing would be to allow asylum applications to be made at any UK embassy, where medical and security checks can be included;  and a refusal given to the con artists. As for the boat people, turn back at sea is the only answer, if we can force the RN and UKBF to start obeying orders.      😠

Just watched a pod on You Tube,  ripping into the Ukrainian migrant fest among other things -  just noting how they're being given indefinate leave to stay in the UK and will be entitled to all public services and jobs.  Wonder how our welcoming public will feel in a year or so of soaring prices, lack of housing and employment.  Seems the ability to see beyond the immediate is more of a curse than a gift, as it means your forever saying - "I told you so"   :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Observer II said:

Just watched a pod on You Tube,  ripping into the Ukrainian migrant fest among other things -  just noting how they're being given indefinate leave to stay in the UK and will be entitled to all public services and jobs.  Wonder how our welcoming public will feel in a year or so of soaring prices, lack of housing and employment.  Seems the ability to see beyond the immediate is more of a curse than a gift, as it means your forever saying - "I told you so"   :rolleyes:

The people in question are truly refugees, and mostly just women and children who are coming because they have family here who want to help. I am guessing that because of that your predictions will not come true in a significant way. Most of the other refugees have family in Poland, Romania and Moldova or no family abroad and prefer to be where it is easier to get back to the families they have left behind. I don't see them as economic migrants at all.

They are currently refugees,  but once here, they will no doubt get their calculators out, and decide to take up permanent residence, some with extended families already here, rather than return to a crippled Country.  However, I agree that they are at least genuine at the moment, unlike the previous groups that now live in our hotels at a cost of £5 MILLION per day.   

The way I see it Obs is that these are just people staying with relatives on a temporary basis until the fighting stops. They’re evacuees, not economic migrants, and because they have such a strong sense of patriotism, I’m sure the overwhelming majority will return home just as soon as the fighting stops. Any that do decide to stay will have to apply for a full visa and only then will your argument have any merit.

Bill 😊

Well the scheme in place is meant to house the refugees with volunteers taking then in;  however some local councils are inspecting doner properties for suitability with some being refused.  Now there are cases of hosts finding the arrangement not working, leaving some refugees homeless.  So basically volunteer in haste and repent at leisure.  :rolleyes:

Yes, I was listening to reports on the radio yesterday about how typical British bureaucracy was making a mockery of the entire process. Many of the refusals were on account of privately owned homes not having a carbon monoxide alarm. As far as I know, there’s no legal requirement to have one in a private home but the government clearly see this as a greater threat than them remaining in a war zone. Just another case of health and safety going bonkers.

Bill 😊

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Yes, I was listening to reports on the radio yesterday about how typical British bureaucracy was making a mockery of the entire process. Many of the refusals were on account of privately owned homes not having a carbon monoxide alarm. As far as I know, there’s no legal requirement to have one in a private home but the government clearly see this as a greater threat than them remaining in a war zone. Just another case of health and safety going bonkers.

Bill 😊

It's a mad sad world we live in Bill 😒