More damage by the Green lobby ?

Observer II

Watching Countryfile, it seems demands are being placed on our farmers to set aside land to "protect" natural habitats, thus reducing food capacity.  This in turn will place an increasing demand for imported food, with a reliance on undependable supply chains and political interference from the likes of the EU; not to mention reduced food standards.  So, if the s/market shelves start to thin out or get more expensive, we can thank those green warriors who are dragging us into the past.    :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

I don’t think leaving a few hedgerows to preserve wildlife habitat and biodiversity is going to make any noticeable difference to the price we pay in the supermarket especially given most to the stuff we buy there seems to be imported. I’m no green warrior but understand there needs to be a balance between nature and the mass production of food and I’d hate to see our green and pleasant land being turned into nothing more than a flat deserted growing area.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

I didn’t see the program so I could be completely missing the point here so excuse me if I’m a bit wide of the mark. I just don’t think people need to be classed as eco warriors for believing that agriculture can be carried out with respect for the environment but that does depend on how far it gets taken.

In an ideal world the country could retain its traditional small fields with hedgerows while economics driven by the supermarkets would suggest ripping them all out to do everything on a much larger scale. I’m sure this has been happening for many years and by now it will have had an affect on the natural cycle of things like pollination and water drainage.

Somewhere in the equation there must be a balance to be found and if doing that puts a penny on a bag of spuds then it’s not the end of the world is it?

Bill 😊

Well this obsession with the green dream goes on, with G/Manchester now declaring a "clean air zone", which will mean ordinary working people paying more to go about their daily business and is no doubt intended to drive them out of their cars and onto bikes or boots.  Now it's clear there is a air pollution issue, but why don't they look at why vehicles pack into large Towns and Cities, and get stuck in long stationary queues pumping out toxic gases.  It's mainly because folk travel to work, and we've learned over the pandemic that working from home is now a viable option for many workers, so why isn't this option for traffic reduction being used ?  There as a lot of criticism on the pandemic restrictions having a detrimental effect on the economy, so where is this concern for the economy in the case of environmental concerns ?   :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Seems to me this is nothing more than a money-making exercise. The council know that as a country we’ve already committed to phasing out all the polluting vehicles so in time things will get better without the need for this.

The air quality is probably better now than it’s been in decades, but even when there’s zero coming out of our exhausts, they’ll find something else to tax, with researchers already looking into alternate revenue opportunities like brake dust and tyre rubber particulates.

Bill 😊

Precisely Bill, a money making racket; but who's being made to cough up the cash - the Plebs.   If they were so concerned about air pollution, they'd remove the cause altogether, not charge folk for the privilage of polluting.  I'm afraid this is all part of our "net zero" future, with ever more reductions in the standard of living of the great unwashed. 😠

I thought I heard him saying that he wasn’t happy with this plan especially the timing given that many businesses we’re still reeling from the effects of the pandemic. He said it would make more sense to delay its start date until things got a little more sorted.

Bill 😊