Allotments in Warrington

P J

I have now read online about the allotment plan in Reading. They have increased the amount of allotments by 70% and are actively encouraging peolple to go on their waiting list which they then try to accomodate by developing more allotments. This sounds a little too good to be true but if Warrington follow suit it would be fantastic.

I wil be contacting Cllr Litton to hear what he has to say.

Observer you are right about the development of land and we need look no further than Bewsey Old Hall and the "development" of the parkland around the hall which is presently being put through planning to see how biased and short sighted a council can be when it comes to protecting anything which does not turn a profit.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the allotment plan which is being considered Paul? Does it involve making enough allotments to satisy demand?

I didn't say there was an allotment plan, I said that I thought one was needed. And indeed the example I gave of Reading, is a good one.

http://www.reading.gov.uk/news/pressreleases/PressArticle.asp?id=SX9452-A7831D79

http://www.reading.gov.uk/Documents/Committee_Services/Cabinet/-2007-2008/080414/item21.pdf

Thanks for the links Paul. No matter what you decide to call the action taken it has to make more land available in order to have any positive effect whatsoever. I know beaurocracy loves desk based paper solutions to problems but in this case the only solution requires land.

Hi folks,

This just caught my eye, and prompted me to register. Well done on your progress so far, the council does need kicking in the right direction.

I do believe that they are responding to recent interest though, but it must be tough. Only 3 years ago, we applied for our first allotment (Victoria Park, Kingsway and Red Lane), and were told that there was a waiting list of about 18 months. Fortunately one came up 6 months later at Kingsway, and we've never looked back.

With the recent hike in interest driven by folks like Hugh, Jamie, Gordon etc, no wonder the council are struggling to meet demand. It's a shame that people had to club together to prompt the current actions, but I think they'll get there. 360+ people is too hard to ignore.

Good luck.

Tim

Thanks Tim, you lucky so and so :D If the waiting list was anything like 6 - 18 months it would be not so bad, but over a decade is far too long. Anyway as you say I think we will get there and the town as a whole will be better for it.

P.S. Welcome to the forum :)

If the waiting list was anything like 6 - 18 months it would be not so bad, but over a decade is far too long.

You know there's something wrong with the world when it takes longer to rent a patch of dirt from the local council than it does to get a season ticket at Anfield.

Thanks for the welcome!

Tim

If the waiting list was anything like 6 - 18 months it would be not so bad, but over a decade is far too long.

You know there's something wrong with the world when it takes longer to rent a patch of dirt from the local council than it does to get a season ticket at Anfield.

Thanks for the welcome!

Tim

At least Liverpool F.C. seem to realise that they need to provide more seats and plans are afoot to build a new stadium. I suppose the difference is they expect to make a profit from this and the Council can only claim to have met their legal obligations whilst at the same time improved folks health,happiness, education and social inclusion and interaction. Not at all as important as cold hard cash :wink:

Maybe pointing or guiding is more appropriate. :wink:

I think kicking is a better way, the council do not respond to points and guides.

Maybe a friendly "no win no fee" lawyer could be sought to make the council adhere to its legal responsibilities PJ?

At least Liverpool F.C. seem to realise that they need to provide more seats and plans are afoot to build a new stadium. I suppose the difference is they expect to make a profit from this and the Council can only claim to have met their legal obligations whilst at the same time improved folks health,happiness, education and social inclusion and interaction. Not at all as important as cold hard cash :wink:

Maybe we could turn the stadium on Winwick Road into allotments? Better use for it if recent standards are anything to go by!