No Jab Lockdown

Bill

I think the pessimists seem to get it right every time; we've had weeks of delay moving to Plan B, now with an increase in infection rates, they're moving to Plan C - but too late each time.   Plus the inconsistency of the so called rules, with mask wearing in shops, but not in restaurants.   The inescapable fact is, that this virus spreads from person to person, and crowded enclosed spaces are ideal for contagion.    😷 

Why all tis hand wringing over "covid passports" ?   Why not just close all the venues that present a danger, so no one attends an enclosed crowded event ?   Yes, it would probably mean the collapse of our hospitality sector, but I think we need to ask just how essential is that sector to our safe existence.  😷

11 minutes ago, Observer II said:

Why all tis hand wringing over "covid passports" ?   Why not just close all the venues that present a danger, so no one attends an enclosed crowded event ?   Yes, it would probably mean the collapse of our hospitality sector, but I think we need to ask just how essential is that sector to our safe existence.  😷

Good thinking but I can't see it happening.

There was enough opposition to the last round of extra rules I don't think anything harsher would wash with politicians or a good amount of other folk.

IMO Gov has been behind the curve throughout this pandemic, too little, too late, every time.  As long as the virus keeps circulating it will mutate,  hopefully into less lethal forms, albeit more transmitable;  so reductions in person to person contact would seem essential, in other words - lockdown.   Vaccines are not a silver bullet,  they will require constant modification as the virus mutates to overcome them.   😷

Yes Obs, but even if we did lockdown, it wouldn’t completely kill off the virus and it would just keep resurfacing. And with a virus that spreads as quickly as this one, we’d be right back to square one with a matter of weeks.

I doubt the country can afford many more lockdowns so they must be a weapon of last resort. Meanwhile, it's right to take measures that help without breaking the economy and the sanity of the population.

Bill 😊

15 hours ago, Observer II said:

IMO Gov has been behind the curve throughout this pandemic

Is it possible to be ahead of the curve given that until you know there is a problem of this type then how can you predict the steps to take.

Unlike the flu which we know will crop up with a different variant every year and can be planned for, this strain pops up with a different variant about every two months.. we will always be behind the curve it is just a matter of how far behind and how fast we can close the gap.

• Upvote 2

Just hearing about the shortage of lateral flow kits which got me thinking how many people use them on a regular basis and in any case, how would you prove to anyone that you’ve done it and tested negative?

But what if the lateral flow test indicator, minus the plastic and liquids, could somehow be integrated into a mask so there’s no waiting around for results and the brain dead people couldn’t then lie about having done a test earlier.  

Bill 😊

The problem is imo; that the Executive (Boris and Co) are trying to run on autocratic lines; now that's fine by me, if they operate along clearly logical lines, as any crisis requires ONE clear and decisive control point.   The problem however, is that those around No10 are riven by incompetance and arguably corruption, which has lost public respect and thus authority.  This leaves us with the machinations of the Legislature, just like pre-2019, when we had too many cooks spoiling the broth.   For those who are fed up with restrictions, by all means, go out there and catch it, and if your unlucky enough to become seriously ill and bed blocking the NHS, please don't start whining for sympathy.   😷 

• Upvote 1

With Boris now silenced by his denier backbenchers, it seems the public now have to rely on the advice of Chris Witty, who is recommending we limit limit our activities over Xmas.   Not that he really needs to, as the majority of the public are now ahead of the game and practising restraint in communal activities, including cancelling restaurant bookings.  Again, I have to ask, what's essential about restaurants or nightclubs, that require financial support ?   If they go to the wall, they'll reappear IF we ever do get back to normal.   MPs didn't have concerns about the pub industry when they banned smoking, which resulted in the loss of 50% of our pubs.   Meanwhile, with Omicron cases doubling every two days, the French are soiling their pants and banning visits to and from the UK; so does that mean that they will finally stop immigrants from paddling across the channel ? !       😷

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Observer II said:

Again, I have to ask, what's essential about restaurants or nightclubs, that require financial support ? 

I don`t believe the people employed in the industry, and reliant on the business to support their families, pay bills, and keep food on the table would quite agree with you there Obs.

I'm sure they wouldn't Ian; but in a world of demands v resources,  one has to operate on the basis of priorities; and the question to ask is, is this  "essential" to our existence ?    There are many jobs that form the glue of a civilised society, such as food production and delivery, NHS, law and order etc.   There are around a million jobs out there, so maybe we should be training HGV drivers, farm workers etc as essential?   😷

1 hour ago, Observer II said:

I'm sure they wouldn't Ian; but in a world of demands v resources,  one has to operate on the basis of priorities; and the question to ask is, is this  "essential" to our existence ?    There are many jobs that form the glue of a civilised society, such as food production and delivery, NHS, law and order etc.   There are around a million jobs out there, so maybe we should be training HGV drivers, farm workers etc as essential?   😷

You are being blinkered. Ian is right because without the "non-essential" workers the tax take falls and we cannot keep essential services going because we have to borrow money that in the long term we can't afford. That is the essence of the plan to learn to live with Covid-19. However people will have to leave to be more considerate of others pretty darned soon at the rate cases are now increasing because only less mixing will get the cases to a number we have seen before!