Eco hysteria ?

Observer II

The UK is responsible for only 1% of global carbon emissions; while China is responsible for 40%;   but we've got kids doing their heads in and nerds blocking roads, as if our masochistic retreat from modernity will save the planet, when China is prepared to do anything to maintain it's economic ascendency.   While China and India, indeed most of the third world can argue, that we polluted the planet throughout the industrial resolution,  catch up isn't a rational option.   Whilst young people may be anxious about their future, it would seem more rational imo, for them to consider how they can improve prospects in a meaningful way; IE: pursuing education and training in kind of techno careers and innovation that will help us avoid doomsday whilst still maintaining living standards.  Likewise,  instead of University  on Mickey Mouse courses, and spending their time arguing about statues or trans rights, they could knuckle down to courses in the skills we need, such as medicine and engineering etc, and develop a workforce fit to cope with the challenges of the future. RANT OVER.   😠

• Upvote 1

Yes, some argue that it’s all a waste of time while the likes of China continues with it’s 40% but at least on a national level, we can be seen to be making an effort albeit an expensive one. We’re well ahead of many other countries and the best part is that once it’s all done the others will eventually have no option but to follow.

I reckon we’ve come a long way over the years and the place is now cleaner than it’s ever been in my lifetime but it’s not surprising the kids of today can’t see this and only see what’s fed to them online.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

Try telling them that and they just say it is typical oldies "we had it worse when we were young" stories.

At the risk of sounding like one of the monty python yorkshiremen.

I remember the smog so thick that you got lost two foot from your front door. Horrible yellowish colour that hung around for several days. Can't blame it on cars as they were few and far between,only "posh" people had cars everybody else either walked, cycled or got the bus.

Mostly down to coal fires, but there was less rubbish. what could go on the fire did. food waste went onto a compost heap if you were lucky enough to have an allotment,spud peelings boiled up and fed to any chickens you had.

Clothing and shoes were bought when the ones you had were either so small that you looked like a badly dressed giant or were so beyond repair that they were fit only for dusters.

Hand me downs were the order of the day tough on those lads who had three older sisters though......🤦‍♀️

• Haha 2

I've been browsing Youtube at some of the histories of the Earth, going back millions of years.   Throughout this history it seems we've had some wide fluctuations in climate and at least four extinction level events, none of which were caused by human activity.  Even during the period when homo sapiens were present, there have been huge variations in climate due to ice ages.  I doubt the humans that were around, spent time protesting about the climate, but just got on with trying to survive by adapting to such changes.  I've also looked at scientific speculation as to future climatic changes, which will occur, regardless of anything we do.  Ultimately of course,  in around 5 billion years time, Earth will be consumed by the explosion of the Sun;  if not earlier struck by a huge asteroid or by super-volcanic activity.   So I have to conclude that the current obsession with climate change is a waste of time, and that we should just proceed, as our ancestors, in endevouring to adapt to change, with stoicism.     💀

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Observer II said:

I've been browsing Youtube at some of the histories of the Earth, going back millions of years.   Throughout this history it seems we've had some wide fluctuations in climate and at least four extinction level events, none of which were caused by human activity.  Even during the period when homo sapiens were present, there have been huge variations in climate due to ice ages.  I doubt the humans that were around, spent time protesting about the climate, but just got on with trying to survive by adapting to such changes.  I've also looked at scientific speculation as to future climatic changes, which will occur, regardless of anything we do.  Ultimately of course,  in around 5 billion years time, Earth will be consumed by the explosion of the Sun;  if not earlier struck by a huge asteroid or by super-volcanic activity.   So I have to conclude that the current obsession with climate change is a waste of time, and that we should just proceed, as our ancestors, in endevouring to adapt to change, with stoicism.     💀

And so says the vast majority of people I know 👍

On 10/16/2021 at 8:10 AM, Evil Sid said:

I remember the smog so thick that you got lost two foot from your front door. Horrible yellowish colour that hung around for several days

During smogs I walked to school with a scarf covering my mouth. Just 10 mins walk

When I got to school and removed the scarf it had a dirty black patch where it had covered my mouth.

See the source imageSee the source image

Keep hearing about this COP29 in Glasgow; the rat infested City with a Bin Strike.   Seems we have, aside from self interest, 3 major motivations at play - 1) The developed Countries being driven into knee jerk green decisions that will undermine the standards of living of their people.  2)  The big emerging economies like China and India, plus Russia and Brazil, who are reluctant to compromise their economies and 3) the tiny Nations that are already suffering ecological threat like Pacific Islands.  I'm not sure it's possible to reconsile these divergent interests and certainly not in the rapid time being demanded by the green fanatics, so it looks like it will prove yet another talking shop, with the UK, with only 1% contribution to global CO2 levels, taking a lion's share of the economic hardship arising from the net zero race.    :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

Funny post on facache the other day. not sure if it was a true situation,

Some guy driving down the motorway in a brand new electric vehicle,213 mile on the clock, pouring rain and all of a sudden car cuts out due to water getting into the electrics.

as i say don't know how true that was or if it was just a isolated case but does make you think.

happens to petrol and diesel cars as well so nowt really new there.

Listening to some of the climate change discussion on TV,  one would be inclined to believe that planet earth, throughout it's history has never had periods of extreme climate change.   The mode of discussion seem akin to a domestic argument on turning the c/heating thermostat up or down; but we are talking about the planet and we're talking about the enormous power of nature; imo it is frankly totally arrogant and fictitious to suggest that humanity can control the vast power of nature.   So aside from adversely affecting the standard of living of the great unwashed; these measures won't diminish some of the current effects being claimed by the climate lobby.   What we need to do imo, is adopt the response of past generations of humanity and ADAPT to changes that are beyond our control.     :rolleyes:

Well the last ice age ended about 25,000 years ago and the "boffins" predict the next one will start in about 1.500 years, around tea time on Thursday the 6th of January.

We are currently in an interglacial period and heading toward the cooler end of that if the "boffins" are correct. They looked back at the earths orbit to find the last time the temperatures were similar and added ten percent to be on the safe side.

anyhow we brits have nothing to worry about, we don't have a climate, we have weather instead.....🤭

There was a classic article on BBC about Madagascar & the dry parched land brought on by drought. The country is an island surrounded  by rising sea levels caused, we are told,  by global warming. What about desalination plants & widespread irrigation to produce crops & support livestock? Perhaps land that had been irrigated would even help to reduce global warming because the sun would not be reflecting of superheated ground .Resulting crops & trees could then help in carbon capture & oxygen production. And let's not forget self irrigating cloches that could be installed on an industrial scale. There is a way but not enough will unless it involves throwing multi billions £ at the appropriate big businesses.

5 hours ago, ninearches said:

There was a classic article on BBC about Madagascar & the dry parched land brought on by drought. The country is an island surrounded  by rising sea levels caused, we are told,  by global warming. What about desalination plants & widespread irrigation to produce crops & support livestock? Perhaps land that had been irrigated would even help to reduce global warming because the sun would not be reflecting of superheated ground .Resulting crops & trees could then help in carbon capture & oxygen production. And let's not forget self irrigating cloches that could be installed on an industrial scale. There is a way but not enough will unless it involves throwing multi billions £ at the appropriate big businesses.

Sea level rise worries them a lot doesn't it? Nasa set the rate at 3.4mm per year currently so in 100 years if it accelerates to an average of 5mm per year we have an increase of 500mm, so 50cm or 20 inches. These people are idiots since coastal sinking or emergence dwarfs these changes. 100 years is enough time to move any threatened part of a city - why are we listening to this guff.

Edited by Confused52
Replaced 10 inches by 20 inches following comment from Bill
  • Upvote 1

Just been watching the Smithsonian channel, good, if you want to drift into a total fatalistic depression.   The first prog was "if the world's ice melts" raising sea levels by 21 ft or more, submerging most of our major cities and coastal areas. Then if that didn't depress you enough, a prog on the Yellowstone caldera in the US, which if it blasts off, could cause a global nuclear winter, killing all plant life and subsequently all life on the planet.   Then of course, there's the possibilty of an asteroid strike, which would see us off completely.   There is also the constant threat of more global pandemics in the pipe line, and of course a nuclear war starting in the South China Sea.    So with all these extinction threats hanging over us, the idea that puny humanity can stop them happening is for Hollywood or some simpletons who protest by blocking our roads.     💀

• Upvote 1

I think you missed out aliens arriving there Obs because I reckon in the next hundred years there’s as much chance of that happening as anything else.💀

I’m not entirely convinced that even if we could instantly remove all the man-made CO2, that it’d do much to stop the climate warming, and putting all our resources into trying to eliminate it rather than protect us from its effects to me sounds bonkers.

Bill 😊

There was some BBC climate change discussion on in the early hours of today & the Colombian minister was pleased to announce their green agenda but the big problem was coal mining that couldn't just be stopped because  it was providing a living for thousands of Columbians & plenty of money for the Columbian economy in exports..  He was determined though to capture the harmful by products that harmed our atmosphere.