Supply and Demand -

Observer II

Seems we're short of HGV drivers, which is adversely affecting supply chains - so why doesn't the industry offer higher wages to attract drivers, and the Gov set up a programme to train more drivers ?   Of course, this will probably mean higher prices in the s/markets etc, but that's what supply and demand is all about, isn't it ?     :rolleyes:

The transport industry was short of drivers by many thousands when i retired ten years ago. It is the only industry where the so called H&S friendly Eu Drivers Directive made it possible to work even longer hours ,which has been exploited by many companies. The driver's CPC is also another expense unless you work for a company which will foot the bill. The congestion & dog eat dog attitude of other road users doesn't help & most HGVs have been prohibited from parking in towns & cities &  pushed onto bleak lorry parks & m/way services or even lay-bys. Drivers & their vehicles are generally treated with disdain these days until someone's milk ,bread or newspaper fails to arrive.

• Upvote 2

I think I saw something on telly about the driver shortage where it was suggested it had little to do with wages but rather the delays in getting new drivers through their HGV tests due to a shortage of examiners.

Apparently, there are thousands of British drivers that have been waiting for months or even years just to take their tests so whoever’s in charge needs their backside kicking for allowing this to happen. IMO, we don’t need to import loads of foreign drivers but rather just a handful of temporary HGV testers and that way we can get it done right.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

Seems we're even short of drivers for the Bin Lorries, I was amazed to learn that foreign drivers had been used to keep the numbers up;  thus saving on training and wages for lazy employers.   If the Gov and Employers started training indigenous staff and attracting them with higher wages, we might solve the problem.    😠

• Upvote 1