Saving the planet again....

Davy51

Following on from the latest announcements about battery power for vehicles & hydrogen power for aircraft & road vehicles ,what are the thoughts on the subject from the sagacious grumpies on the forum ? I'm wondering more about ,if water is the source of the hydrogen , how will the extra oxygen produced affect  the atmosphere ,greenhouse gases & global warming etc. Is the bi product of surplus oxygen from hydrogen production likely to be the antidote to so called climate change or will too much oxygen in the atmosphere cause other problems ? 

The atmosphere has 209,500 ppm of oxygen (about 21%). CO2 makes up 400 ppm (about 0.04%). Humans need a concentration of between 19.5% and 23.5% to stay healthy, below 16% is generally fatal. We can breathe 100% oxygen for short periods (in hospital for example to aid recovery) and astronauts have breathed 100% oxygen at low pressure for up to 2 weeks.

I should imagine that, the same as everything else, the planet would adjust as it always has.

I wouldn’t worry too much as it looks like hydrogen powered vehicles will be limited to specific applications where conventional batteries wouldn’t be suitable. Nobody bought Betamax recorders back in the day, not because they were in any way inferior but because VHS had stolen the lead and was far more common, and it’s much the same now with our electric cars.

I’m currently trying to save the planet by building a direct solar water heater suitable for the UK climate. So far so good and hopefully my new and improved second version should be even better than the first. The wife thinks I’m bonkers but at least it keeps the grey matter ticking over.

Bill 😊

Seems an appropriate time for the Boomers to pass the baton onto the Millenials, and say "I'll leave it with you" (titter).   Super hot heatwaves in N/W US,   Biblical flooding in Germany; and according to NASA, a post 2030 Moon wobble lasting 18 years, that will bring tidal flooding throughout the globe.  Add to this WHO predictions of yet more pandemics;  then violence and wars caused by mass migrations, and you have a cocktail of woes, for the snowflakes to suck up.  Beam me up Scottie.    😉

Try and get your facts straight Obs. The moon has a wobble on a cycle of approximately 18 years, something that astronomers have known about for centuries, so why they've decided that this scare story is something new is the mystery. Heatwaves and flooding? All part of climate change, something that has always happened and always will, but the media never lets a good scare story go to waste.

On 7/15/2021 at 5:53 PM, Bill said:

I wouldn’t worry too much as it looks like hydrogen powered vehicles will be limited to specific applications where conventional batteries wouldn’t be suitable. Nobody bought Betamax recorders back in the day, not because they were in any way inferior but because VHS had stolen the lead and was far more common, and it’s much the same now with our electric cars.

I’m currently trying to save the planet by building a direct solar water heater suitable for the UK climate. So far so good and hopefully my new and improved second version should be even better than the first. The wife thinks I’m bonkers but at least it keeps the grey matter ticking over.

Bill 😊

Apparently Beetamax was a better quality system ,, but shops and rental stores tended to store 85% VHS and eventually it just died out.

1 hour ago, Latchford Locks said:

Apparently Beetamax was a better quality system ,, but shops and rental stores tended to store 85% VHS and eventually it just died out.

Quite true latch the problem was that it was expensive for the films to be put on it.

VHS was a lot cheaper to make and copy the films onto despite inferior quality.

Mind you most tv's back then would be hard pushed to show the difference.

The point I was making was that hydrogen powered cars are a bit like Betamax. They won’t be bought if battery charging points are 100 times more plentiful than those for hydrogen. But technology has a habit of moving on and maybe at some point in the future hydrogen will become the primary fuel. But for now, batteries are way down the road while hydrogen is still stuck on the starting line.

Bill 😊

Sure is ,Obs. One thing is for sure is that sustainable energy will not be cheap even though it will be coming from within the earth just like gas & i can't imagine the appliances of science to use the new energy will be cheap either.

I can't help thinking that it would save many lives if the government charged the people traffickers a fare for these boat people & provided an organised ferry service across the Channel. I am surprised the woke brigade haven't already demanded this of HMG under health & safety  measures.

• Upvote 1