Compulsory jabs for health care workers?

Bill

It’d be interesting to see what others think about the plans to make it compulsory for care home workers to be vaccinated. My take on it has always been that it should have been done from the onset of the disease as they’re responsible for the most vulnerable and the greatest risk.

Bill 😊

As I see it, I'm a bit confused as to why the people on the front line (nurses and care home assistants) who, we are told, had a horrific time during the worst part of the pandemic dealing with the sick and dying Covid patients, wouldn't be demanding to be at the front of the queue for the vaccine. It has been reported that many of them are against the vaccines for some reason. On the other hand these same people are probably being tested frequently and possibly feel that they are excellent at avoiding infection so don't see the need for vaccination for themselves. Does anybody know?

As for making this mandatory, I'm against it for the simple reason that it's not for the government to mandate any sort of medical treatment. We are all free people and should be able to decide what we do with our bodies, whatever harm we may do to ourselves.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

It’d be interesting to see what others think about the plans to make it compulsory for care home workers to be vaccinated. My take on it has always been that it should have been done from the onset of the disease as they’re responsible for the most vulnerable and the greatest risk.

Bill 😊

Spot on Bill

If they want to work with older at risk people then respect them and yourself get jabbed.

And if they don't want to I believe there are a lot of fruit and vegetable pickers needed at the moment ☺️

I think there are already mandatory requirements on NHS surgical staff to have certain inoculations, many professions make mandatory requirements as part of an application for the job.   Folk travelling to certain exotic locations are required to have relevent jabs.   Freedom is all well and good, providing it doesn't impose on other's freedom to be safe.  So your right Bill; no jab = no job.    😷

• Upvote 1

Given that we are told that the vaccines don't stop onward transmission of Covid, it's difficult to argue that people need to be vaccinated to make other people safe.

When I was working in the MN all crew members had to have innoculations against the likes of Smallpox, Cholera and Yellow Fever, but this wasn't to protect other crew members or anyone else but rather to stop the ship being held up at foreign ports by Immigration and Port Health authorities and being put into quarantine thereby costing the shipowner time and money.

You’re doing your binary thing again Asp in suggesting that the vaccines doesn’t stop the spread. I reckon that in the field of medicines, there’s not many things that come with a guaranteed 100% certainty but if there’s the opportunity to drastically reduce the chance of the virus being passed on then it should grabbed with both hands.

It's not difficult for people to accept this as you suggest unless of course their part of that small minority who think they know better than the medical profession.

Your experience with vaccinations in the navy has parallels with the care home workers because it could be argued the government doesn’t particularly want to protect the workers but to save the time and money that would result from hospitalization.

Bill 😊

Bill, compare what I said: we are told that the vaccines don't stop onward transmission of Covid

with what you say I said: suggesting that the vaccines doesn’t stop the spread

and you will see that I wasn't suggesting anything, just repeating what the "experts" are telling us.

As far as I'm concerned the people who are fear-mongering about the vaccines belong in the funny farm and anyone who has no real concerns should get vaccinated. But I don't like the idea of forcing people to do anything that they aren't comfortable doing.

You’re playing with words now Asp which is what you usually seem to do when your logic falls to pieces. If you want to convey negativity then be prepared to put your own name to it rather that argue you didn’t actually say it and you’re merely repeating what you’ve heard. If you constantly have to explain what you really meant, then maybe you should take a little more time to consider what you write and how it will appear to others.

Bill 😊

51 minutes ago, Bill said:

You’re playing with words now Asp which is what you usually seem to do when your logic falls to pieces. If you want to convey negativity then be prepared to put your own name to it rather that argue you didn’t actually say it and you’re merely repeating what you’ve heard. If you constantly have to explain what you really meant, then maybe you should take a little more time to consider what you write and how it will appear to others.

Bill 😊

What nonsense is this that you're spouting now Bill? I wasn't trying to convey negativity, I didn't come up with the concept that vaccinated people can still transmit the virus, I leave that to all the other experts. If you want to point a finger of criticism point it at yourself for constantly mis-quoting others like you have done with me to try and show me up as being negative somehow when, if you read what I have said, I'm in full support of the vaccination programme.