Better late than never I suppose

The Chinese wear facemasks for fear of picking up bugs as well as for air pollution. A few years back I was on Giant’s Causeway with a howling wind blowing in from the Atlantic when a whole bus load of mask wearing Chinese turned up. Not much air pollution that day.

All the measures we took in recent times have helped but I think it’s widely accepted now that that most of transmission has been airborne from close contact with others and hence the reluctance to reopen places like nightclubs.

Bill 😊  

More likely that they've been wearing masks for so long they have been conditioned to always wear them whatever the circumstances as your little story shows. I've never seen any proof that masks prevent airborne infection by viruses so I for one wouldn't put my faith in them.

Why does everything have to be so binary with you Asp? Of course, masks don’t prevent you from catching the virus in just the same way as sanitizing your hands won’t, but they all help. The guidance was set out to cover all bases before we knew just how the virus was spreading and what the main transmission method was.

As for the continued mask wearing, well I’m sure we’ll be seeing some folk wearing them here for a goodly while yet, especially those who believe their still at risk. I was behind a couple the other day In M&S who where even wearing masks, visors and protective gloves, and looking very uncomfortable with the not quite two metres distancing that people were doing.  

Bill 😊  

The problem is that we can’t tell who is concerned or not, so I try to give people the benefit of doubt and move aside wherever possible. It’s actually quite nice that most say thanks or give some nice eye contact in return.

Cost nothing to do does it.

Bill 😊

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Why does everything have to be so binary with you Asp? Of course, masks don’t prevent you from catching the virus in just the same way as sanitizing your hands won’t, but they all help. The guidance was set out to cover all bases before we knew just how the virus was spreading and what the main transmission method was.

As for the continued mask wearing, well I’m sure we’ll be seeing some folk wearing them here for a goodly while yet, especially those who believe their still at risk. I was behind a couple the other day In M&S who where even wearing masks, visors and protective gloves, and looking very uncomfortable with the not quite two metres distancing that people were doing.  

Bill 😊  

Am I getting on your nerves Bill? Good-oh 🤣🤣

I've said it before, it's up to you to look out for yourself. It isn't up to everyone else to bow to your paranoias. Wear masks, wear space-suits if you want to, just don't expect others to do the same if they don't want to. If you feel uncomfortable around other people or in queues, then avoid other people and queues. Covid is never going away so live with it.

As for the binary thing, you do seem to give the impression that people either think like yourself or are completely paranoid. I’d like to think I’m in the middle of the road with the issue and try to understand both sides of the argument. I agree with much of what you have to say but sometimes, you’re a million miles off the mark but that’s what opinions are all about.

It keeps the grey matter ticking over if nothing else. :)

Tea time by the smell of things.

Bill 😊

1 hour ago, Bill said:

As for the binary thing, you do seem to give the impression that people either think like yourself or are completely paranoid. I’d like to think I’m in the middle of the road with the issue and try to understand both sides of the argument. I agree with much of what you have to say but sometimes, you’re a million miles off the mark but that’s what opinions are all about.

It keeps the grey matter ticking over if nothing else. :)

Tea time by the smell of things.

Bill 😊

Does it occur to you that I'm right on the mark and it's you that's a million miles off it Bill? Wouldn't life be boring if we all thought the same?

17 minutes ago, Observer II said:

Not to worry Bill, he's in a minority - the majority clearly support the extension of the lock down, according to the polls.   😷

Nothing wrong with going against the herd Obs. Also you probably aren't aware that we shouldn't be ruled by opinion poll although it seems to be the way politicians make their decisions these days. Not a good way to govern in my opinion (if I'm allowed one).

Oh I don’t worry about much at all these days Obs. I just sit here and watch life go by and watch you two argue the toss. From my point of view, both you and Asp appear to be at completely opposite ends of the spectrum. So, if you think Asp’s extreme views put him into a minority then at the other end of the scale, you could rightly claim the same. 😊

It doesn’t matter though, different opinions are what makes the world an interesting place and nobody can claim to have all the right answers (apart from me!) When it comes to our actions though, opinions need to be put aside for the consideration of others. Threatening to punch someone who doesn’t keep proper distances is just as extreme as the mask-less guy who deliberately coughs in your face.

We’re all still here and that’s the most important thing.

Bill 😊