Bill pope motors Ltd winwick road

martin saul

Hi I’m trying to find some more details about Bill pope motors Ltd who were on the winwick road, I've seen them them mentioned in a few other posts, but looking for more details. My Mk3 1967 Triumph spitfire was originally bought new from them, on the 9th of November 1967 I can only see references to them selling motorcycles, were they a car and motor cycle dealer at some point? I would like to find an old photo of the building and any advertising for them preferably from the 1960s and Triumph related if possible, there seems to be very little information about them anywhere, any help or advice would be much appreciated thanks Martin 

_20210429_052743.JPG

Hi the logbook shows it was registered to Bill popes motors Ltd Warrington on the 3rd of November 1967 and stamped in a Warrington Post office where original owner details are entered.

Then  where the 1st change of owners details goes it is stamped in Lancashire on the 9th of November 1967 with an owner living in Leigh so it makes me think it was originally owned by Bill Pope for 6 days, unless dealers used to register a car to the dealership and then transfer to the customer when sold? 

I only ever remember it being a motorcycle dealers but that was early 70's when i was just really getting into motorbikes.

There were only two dealers that i remember from then and that was bill popes and jack frodshams, both on winwick road although on opposite sides. the shop that was bill popes is still there and now a bedding shop and opposite the halliwell jones stadium if you want to look on google maps.

don't think i have any photos but will have a look, you may find some on the "my warrington" website try this link http://www.mywarrington.me.uk/memory_lane.htm

Will also ask the brother later to see if he knows anything..

Still haven't heard back from my bother yet so he must have gone out for the day or something. The Spitfire from the bit I can see looks in fine condition especially given it's age. One of my neighbours has one and that too always looks good. Shame about the lack of photos of the place and a pity you can't see the image in my head because I remember the place so well.

Bill :)

Spoke to my brother about it and he seems to think bill pope stopped dealing in cars around 69-70.

I do know that they only sold motorbikes and related paraphernalia in 74 as i bought my first real bike from there in 74 (i traded in a puch moped and got five quid more than i paid for it)

I did find that Bill pope motors ltd is still going with a company address in great sankey. maybe they may have more info. worth looking to see if they have an email address.

Hi yeah I have been trying to contact them through a couple of addresses I found on line for them, and this afternoon I have just had a phone call from the grand son / of Bill pope and had a nice chat he comfirmed that they did sell car up to the 1970 when they then moved to just motor bikes I had found the bed shop as you said but as I moved the map it changed to domino's pizza's, he said that the building was a bed shop and it was now domino's, he is going to see if he can find out some old photos for me, so all round a brilliant result, so thank you so much for your reply and information in tracking the location best wishes Martin 

My brother just got back to me and he says he bought his first couple of bikes from there in the early sixties but doesn't remember them selling cars. I bought my current Alfa from the dealership almost behind Popes and that closed down six weeks after that. Nothing lasts forever but at least you found the info you were looking for so all in all a good result.

Bill :)