BoJo's blunder -

Observer II

Seems BoJo's attempt at compromise with the EU, by agreeing to a N/Ireland Protocol; has proved to be a case of throwing N/Ireland under a bus, and surrendering to the intent of the EU to separate N/Ireland from the UK.  Time to repair the damage and ditch the Protocol and if necessary any UK-EU agreement.   If this means a hard border on the Island of Ireland, let the EU build it and police it.   😠 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Observer II said:

Time to repair the damage and ditch the Protocol and if necessary any UK-EU agreement.   If this means a hard border on the Island of Ireland, let the EU build it and police it.   😠 

The EU will never ever forgive us from leaving.

At least not in my lifetime

5 hours ago, Observer II said:

Seems BoJo's blunder exceeds the limits imposed in Article 6 of the Act of Union (of the UK).    :rolleyes:

Article Sixth.

Subjects of Great Britain and Ireland to be on same footing from 1 Jan. 1801.

No duty or bounty on exportation of produce of one country to the other.

All articles the produce of either country shall be imported free from duty.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Produce of either country, subject to internal duty, shall on importation into each country be subject to countervailing duty.

Same charges on produce of either country exported through the other.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Is this what you refer to  - it is actually the Act of Union (Ireland) 1800 and has been amended to the text above. I don't see any conflict because the costs of export are not a duty or bounty just an administration charge.

18 hours ago, Observer II said:

Check Youtube  -   Jeff Taylor pod.   

I looked at it, but I agree with Asp about listening to him! In addition he commits the sin of partial quotation. What I write in the last comment was the existing text of the same Act of Parliament as he quotes. Since Irish nationals are subject to the same treaties and that include the NI Protocol and was agreed by Parliament it is clear that Parliament did not intend that the extra words in the Act of Union (Ireland) had effect. The man is just making trouble and is wrong, being on Youtube does not make you right (also applies to Yahoo!)

27 minutes ago, Observer II said:

Believe there's a case already proceeding through the Courts - so we can wait and see.    :unsure:

That is a proposed Judicial review, that was why I told you it was approved by parliament - you cannot judicial review Parliament, it is sovereign! You can argue that the implementation was faulty but that case is already being held in the ECJ where the Commission are suing the UK for not implementing it fully. The UK is proposing to plead Force Majeure in the ECJ case and I think the DUP posturing will get nowhere if it even starts. The UK's obligations are on the International plane and the UK court's do not have jurisdiction at that level. So we are at the supreme court level arguments over Brexit all over again. I won't be holding my breath on that.

Let's be honest ,the whole country ,even the world had a cavalier attitude towards the pandemic . For weeks it was something affecting China. If China had been more open about what they were experiencing the rest of the world may have been able to prepare better. Cummings is a very bitter man who was cavalier enough to break the law in order to trail to county Durham on personal business while the minions observed the lockdown.

True Dave; but the only certainty at that early stage was the basic knowledge that a virus needs a living host and contact between such hosts in order to survive; so the gut wrench solution was to isolate from each other as far as is possible,  which wasn't done immediately, thus allowing the virus to take hold and spread.  It was BoJo's failure to take the threat seriously and prioritise economic woes, that set a course for being continually behind the curve in fighting the disease.  😷

Easy to say with hindsight ,but when has the country previously locked down for disease....never , & certainly not because someone coughed in China.

Cummings has been doing a major act of public rebirth today to save his future in politics. Some of his displays of contrition were cringeworthy.

Dave, there have been Gov plans for pandemics as far back as the 50s; the basic principles of action being known.   I recall a BBC prog about 30 years ago, in which they went through in doc/drama the plan, and believe me, it was a lot worse than lockdown.   It was more like the system employed by the Chinese in Wuhan, lockdown meaning locked in your house.   There was a Gov/NHS exercise, about 6 months prior to the pandemic, which suggests we should have been ready - so what happened ?   So, nothing to do with hindsight; everything to do with pre-planning for all contigencies - in other words - foresight.      😷

10 hours ago, Observer II said:

There was a Gov/NHS exercise, about 6 months prior to the pandemic,

All very well having exercises but they are planned out and people behave as they are told to do by the people running the exercise.

Unfortunately when it comes to the real thing they find that public do not react in the way the people did in the exercise. They wander around confused and puzzled and ask questions like"why?" Or the other British favorite "i doesn't concern/affect me i am British".

There is only so much fool-proofing you can do and there will always be a few fools who will manage to circumvent even that.

Sid,  human behaviour "experts" were available to SAGE, but that variable matters little; what is being tested is the inter-relationship and coordination of the various agencies, so they are practised in their response, taking into account various public responses.   The "fools" were at the very top, IE, THE POLITICIANS;  who were clearly outside their depth in most cases, even assuming they had any respect for the serious nature of the threat. As Cummings noted;  that our political system can't deliver competent Leadership in such circumstances is a big question for us all.   Yes Dave, as I have noted on these pages before,  the more authoritarian regimes, with a compliant population, have the best chance of weathering such storms; but even in China, their initial response was delayed, a source of embarrasment they are now covering up - makes one wonder how many middle rank politicians have now been shot !    😷