Bill, there's lies, damn lies and statistics !   😉     As for the sacred "economy",  without a viable population you don't have an economy;   death is permanent,  economic depressions are not.   😷

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Exactly, same disease just slightly more infectious and slightly different name. As a country we’re in front of the game and the impact here will be nothing like that seen in India who were unprepared

They were either in the B52 bomber that landed on the moon or in the house next door to the chippie that Elvis was working in.

Posted Images

Obs you need to take a look at reality. There's been 3.5 million Covid deaths in the entire world, not just in the UK, so there's more than enough of the population left to be "viable". The damage to the economy could have been avoided if so many mistakes hadn't been made, but we need to open the country up and recover. Anyone who wants to stay locked away are quite free to do so, but be warned the virus is here to stay so it may be quite a while..............................

We've had economic depressions throughout history,  the last being the crash in 2008, which brought 10 years of austerity; but life went on.   No doubt you could say the same for pandemics, except for some life doesn't go on.    😷

9 hours ago, Bill said:

Con. I’ve just spent about an hour trying to decipher the overly complex statistical data from the latest British Medical Journal reports, and from what I can see, the majority of people surveyed admit that they didn’t fully isolate. So, if there’s a majority that admit it, then there’s likely to be even more that don't comply but who understandably don't like admitting to it.

Information, however accurately collected that relies on people owning up to doing something they shouldn’t, has to be so questionable so much so that it’s pointless.

I often say you don’t need to be a rocket scientist to see what’s going on with your own eyes.

Isolate.jpg

See this version from UCL Microsoft Word - Full report 34_final.docx (filesusr.com)

The one you looked at was the Corsair project and the leader Prof Susan Michie is actually at UCL which produces a different study. I believe that there are different definitions of compliance between the various studies. I really don't have the time to understand them and the differences. I have looked at all of them before and lost the will to live!

They don’t make things very easy to read do they. This was just part of the wordy explanation from the BMJ.

Only 51.5% of participants (95% confidence interval 51.0% to 51.9%, n=26 030/50  570) identified the main symptoms of covid-19; the corresponding values in the most recent wave of data collection (25-27 January 2021) were 50.8% (48.6% to 53.0%, n=1019/2007). Across all waves, duration adjusted adherence to full self-isolation was 42.5% (95% confidence interval 39.7% to 45.2%, n=515/1213); in the most recent wave of data collection (25-27 January 2021), it was 51.8% (40.8% to 62.8%, n=43/83). Across all waves, requesting a test for covid-19 was 18.0% (95% confidence interval 16.6% to 19.3%, n=552/3068), increasing to 22.2% (14.6% to 29.9%, n=26/117) from 25 to 27 January. Across all waves, intention to share details of close contacts was 79.1% (95% confidence interval 78.8% to 79.5%, n=36 145/45 680), increasing to 81.9% (80.1% to 83.6%, n=1547/1890) from 25 to 27 January. Non-adherence was associated with being male, younger age, having a dependent child in the household, lower socioeconomic grade, greater financial hardship during the pandemic, and working in a key sector.

They could have just said about 80% intended to fully isolate but only 25% or less actually did.

Bill 😊

As soon as you said “Prof”, I said bullshit!  Academia just needs to take the paycheck, keep quiet and hope nobody questions them !  Useless prats, with an occasional success story every hundred years,  if they can avoid defecting to Russia.

Can’t understand why covid comments are still running on this forum, it’s over folks !  It’s over medically and it’s over psychologically.  If you want mayhem in the streets just try to go with another lockdown.  Ordinary people have reached the point where they realize that they have been sold a bill of goods and it ain’t going to happen again.

You can huff and puff as much as you like, but this ‘pandemic’ was, to 99% of the worlds population, an inconvenience.   You had to be at deaths door for it to be fatal and the controls like travel restrictions probably helped limit the inconvenience, but shutting down industry or social functions just because someone might spend a couple of weeks at home was ridiculous.

See you at the ball game.

On 5/22/2021 at 11:49 AM, Observer II said:

Sorry, too many wet backs !    😄

Thank you Mr Biden !  I refuse to call the idiot President and actually have trouble calling him Mr!

Unfortunately Stall, in this country the narrative from government and stoked up by the media is of an overwhelmed NHS and bodies in the street if we don't obey every single piece of "advice". It's very much along the same lines as the "climate crisis", where we've been told that the world is going to die in 10 years for the last 50 years.

You’re talking a load of old twaddle again Asp. Your views on this are so far out of line with reality that they’re almost as bad as what you suggest the media are reporting. There is some recent concern about the Indian variant that’s spreading in some areas but it’s being dealt with, and the PM still believes the final relaxation of the rules is still on target for next month. Virtually everyone I’ve spoken to are fairly happy with the current relaxed rules and agree that caution is still the watchword as we’re not quite out of this yet.

Bodies on the street? When did you last hear that one Asp?

Bill 😊  

• Upvote 1

It's such a constant noise in the background that it must be going in your left ear and out of your right ear Bill. This is why people are going around wearing masks in the street and when driving alone in their cars, they've been scared out of their wits. Meanwhile I'll keep on spouting Twaddle while it's still a relatively free country where I'm allowed to.

There’s nowt wrong with my hearing Asp and I hear as much crap as anyone else, but unlike you, I have a brain capable of distinguishing the difference. 😊

I walked home from the shop yesterday with my mask on, made a cup of tea and the wife askes me why I’ve still got it on. Today she does the exactly same but tries to justify it by having two shopping bags while I only had one. Maybe we’re both secretly paranoid or scared out of our wits but more likely we either forgot or just couldn’t be bothered. I’ve even done the car thing several times and got halfway home before realizing. But it’s no big deal is it? Unless of course you’re the type that gets upset about people wearing masks.

I think when the mask in shops is finally lifted, there’ll still be a few who choose to continue wearing them because they understand the virus will always be present and they probably feel safer keeping one on. I’ll leave it to you to tell them they’re wrong.

Bill 😊

And while we’re at it, here’s one for your co-conspirator Stalard stateside.

It’d be quite easy for me to paint a very unfavourable image of life in America, it’s people and its political system, but I’m not going to do that because I know the vast majority of people there aren’t that much different than here or most other countries in the world for that matter. It’s the silly beggars in politics, the media and online turd stirrers who go completely over the top creating false impressions that more gullible people take as fact.

If you believe that we here are all in a state of frenzied panic over the virus then you seriously need to question your sources. The reality is that we’re almost back to normal with just a bit of mask wearing in shops and some flight restrictions and I believe it’s exactly the same in the USA. People here though don’t want to see another infection spike and a return to restrictions, so most are being just a bit careful but it’s a million miles from paranoia.

If the USA were as laid back as you suggest then it’d be welcoming people from the UK with by far the lowest infection rates in the whole EU. But it doesn’t, it bans us, and you call us paranoid. 😊

Anyway time for my monthly shower then it’s off to the pub, if only I can find my bloomin mask.

Bill 😊

People wearing masks outdoors don't upset me Bill, I just think they're off their trollies 🤣🤣

I think masks will still be handy in shops when the covid ship has sailed . I haven't even had one of my usual heavy colds since February 2020.

3 hours ago, asperity said:

It's such a constant noise in the background that it must be going in your left ear and out of your right ear Bill. This is why people are going around wearing masks in the street and when driving alone in their cars, they've been scared out of their wits. Meanwhile I'll keep on spouting Twaddle while it's still a relatively free country where I'm allowed to.

It is probably because if you encounter an infected person they can contaminate the outside of the mask. Consequently it is quite rational to only take the mask off when you are in a position to wash your hands after doing so an being able to leave the mask to dry somewhere safe. We did get that advice early on in wearing masks. The probability of encountering an infected person is lower but careful people will be in that routine now in order to maximise their own protection. Exactly as you have suggested all along but now seem to have changed your mind! The same logic applies to those who put their masks on at home before going to the shops and take it off only when they get back. Not everyone has to behave the same do they?

1 hour ago, Bill said:

And while we’re at it, here’s one for your co-conspirator Stalard stateside.

It’d be quite easy for me to paint a very unfavourable image of life in America, it’s people and its political system, but I’m not going to do that because I know the vast majority of people there aren’t that much different than here or most other countries in the world for that matter. It’s the silly beggars in politics, the media and online turd stirrers who go completely over the top creating false impressions that more gullible people take as fact.

If you believe that we here are all in a state of frenzied panic over the virus then you seriously need to question your sources. The reality is that we’re almost back to normal with just a bit of mask wearing in shops and some flight restrictions and I believe it’s exactly the same in the USA. People here though don’t want to see another infection spike and a return to restrictions, so most are being just a bit careful but it’s a million miles from paranoia.

If the USA were as laid back as you suggest then it’d be welcoming people from the UK with by far the lowest infection rates in the whole EU. But it doesn’t, it bans us, and you call us paranoid. 😊

Anyway time for my monthly shower then it’s off to the pub, if only I can find my bloomin mask.

Bill 😊

Take a look at: COVID-19 Cases in Texas (coronavirusintexas.org)

Case average over 1000 a day on average, equivalent UK number for that population would be about 575. Average deaths per day in Texas almost 30 compared to the equivalent in UK for size of population in Texas 4 per day. It look as if the claim that is all over in Texas is not something that we should just accept.

1 hour ago, Confused52 said:

It is probably because if you encounter an infected person they can contaminate the outside of the mask. Consequently it is quite rational to only take the mask off when you are in a position to wash your hands after doing so an being able to leave the mask to dry somewhere safe. We did get that advice early on in wearing masks. The probability of encountering an infected person is lower but careful people will be in that routine now in order to maximise their own protection. Exactly as you have suggested all along but now seem to have changed your mind! The same logic applies to those who put their masks on at home before going to the shops and take it off only when they get back. Not everyone has to behave the same do they?

To be honest I don't think mask wearing is rational at all and only wear one when I don't have an option not to i.e. on the bus or in a shop, because I don't want to upset other people. If I come across someone not wearing a mask it doesn't bother me (something that happens in the States quite a lot I believe, with people coming to blows over it). Have I suggested people wear masks to maximise their own protection? As far as I can recall all I've ever said was I wear a mask so as not to upset other people. And you are right, not everyone has to behave the same way, so I'll continue to regard people who wear masks outside on the streets or alone in their car as being off their trolly 😉.

9 hours ago, Observer II said:

I guess masks will have another use, now that traffic is back to normal;  saves sucking up exhaust fumes.    😷

And they keep your chin(s) warm in cold weather.

More dither and delay over lockdowns for those covid flare up hotspots, with last minute vague instruction.  All because the Gov are desperate to relax precautions and keep the lemmings on side.   No doubt those lemmings will be streaming to local beaches this weekend as fine weather is predicted.     😷

1 hour ago, Observer II said:

More dither and delay over lockdowns for those covid flare up hotspots, with last minute vague instruction.  All because the Gov are desperate to relax precautions and keep the lemmings on side.   No doubt those lemmings will be streaming to local beaches this weekend as fine weather is predicted.     😷

Will they all be wearing these?:

https://www.angryduckshop.com/product-page/specky-lemming-face-mask    😉😂

I just heard a report that 2 billion disposable face masks are used every day world-wide. By the end of 2020 1.5 billion masks had been recovered from the sea, there will be billions more not accounted for.

Just in my small cul-de-sac this morning I counted 6 face masks thrown away.

1 hour ago, asperity said:

I just heard a report that 2 billion disposable face masks are used every day world-wide. By the end of 2020 1.5 billion masks had been recovered from the sea, there will be billions more not accounted for.

Just in my small cul-de-sac this morning I counted 6 face masks thrown away.

Well it makes a change from supermarket plastic bags

How degradable are these masks