Woke history from BBC -

Aside from miscasting ethnics in period dramas, like Anne Bolyn;   they're putting out some serious brain washing for younger kids, with a "horrible histories" prog, full of woke claims.  EG: That the original Brits, as in Cro-Magnon, were actually black; well unless they ran here from Africa, I doubt that's the case. It takes 20,000 years to alter melanin levels to adapt to lower sunlight levels, which is the more likely time of travel.   That the Roman Army on Hadrians Wall, were black, I suppose we could call them the original "Black Watch" !   There's no doubt that from within an Empire that covered most of Europe, including N/Africa and the M/East;   that many recruits would be dark skinned, but by no means all; some were actually Sarmatian Armoured Cavalry from the area of modern Ukraine, so not quite "black".   There's no doubt either that throughout the history of our Empire, that slaves were aquired by wealthy families as servants, but hardly an ethnic take over.    Even Queen Victoria had an Indian servant.   Nelson's Navy press ganged many foreigners, including blacks, to crew their ships, but again, a minority.   So perhaps the BBC and other woke media outlets, need to be de-woked, as well as de-funded.     :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

I caught the end of a broadcast in the early hours of this morning called Global Questions . There was some black Conservative fellow on there really laying into one of the top bods of the BLM organisation. He was condemning all the statue desecration by protesters & accused BLM of making lots of money out of a political situation that they were happy to promote in the media . A sort of where there's a BLM ,there's a CLM ,ambulance chasing type of organisation.

On 5/2/2021 at 7:00 PM, asperity said:

If you don't like what they broadcast then stop watching them. If you object to paying the licence tax then stop paying it.

Perhaps Asp; you could just go through what happens if you cease to pay your TV Licence Fee ?     :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Observer II said:

Perhaps Asp; you could just go through what happens if you cease to pay your TV Licence Fee ?     :rolleyes:

If you stop paying your TV licence tax you can continue watching TV, provided that you don't watch live broadcasts or BBC iPlayer. You can watch any of the catch up services provided by ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 as well as Netflix, Amazon Prime and there's loads of content on Youtube including some BBC programmes such as University Challenge which are shown within an hour of them being broadcast. Of course there's a subscription for Netflix and Amazon, but unlike the BBC you can watch what you want when you want. And you aren't paying for the BBC woke propaganda or contributing to Lineker's millions.

It's up to them to get the proof. They have no right of entry to your house so if you are illegally watching the BBC live broadcast but they cannot actually see your TV through your open door or through a window they have no proof. If a TV licence inspector knocks on your door and you foolishly invite them in and allow them access to your TV, and it is tuned to BBC then you have given them all the evidence they need. If you cancel your licence the advice is to not watch live broadcasts or iPlayer, but in any case never let a TV licence inspector into your house. There's no such machine as a TV detector that can obtain evidence of illegal TV watching. Have a look on Youtube, there's loads of advice on there. Personally I never watch live broadcast TV, don't have an aerial lead connected or even in the same room as the TV, I've cancelled my Virgin TV contract and disconnected the set top box., and I use an Amazon Firestick to get Netflix and Prime.

I don't actually consider the licence fee to be extortionate for a service that provides some of the best programmes around . Most of the tv we watch comes from BBC & ITV & the occasional netflix or prime programme or film . People are paying hundreds of pounds a month for channels showing rehashed films & 2nd rate tv progs so why should i complain about the tv licence ?

• Upvote 1

If you're happy with it Davy then fill yer boots 😉. I don't watch any of the BBC, ITV, Ch 4 or 5 output live and anything decent will end up on catch up or Netflix eventually. I can get any news I want on the radio so forking out £150 odd per year to support a channel that gives me nothing I can't get elsewhere is a bit daft for me. Chacun a son goute 😁

Again, it’s easy, don’t watch ‘em.  We have CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC and MSNBC and newswise they are banned in my house, luckily momma is a good Republican and agrees.

However, the regular networks have some good sitcoms and NBC covers all the Premier League games, so I have to bite the bullet and watch - I try not to enjoy them though!   A good recipe for the BBC, which vies with Al Gezera in the race to destroy the western world.

I’ve never minded paying the licence fee mainly because I don’t like the constant interruptions of advertising. I’ve spent a lot of time watching TV in the states and seen just how bad it can get when there’s no choice but commercial stations.

If we only had the choice of one channel, I’d definitely choose the BBC and if there was only one choice between terrestrial and streaming, I’d stay with terrestrial. Call me old fashioned if you will but I liken it to school dinners where there’s plenty of variety even if everything’s not your favourite, but at least it’s better than bingeing on a diet of on demand burger and chips every day.

As for political bias, the way I see that is that we all have a political bias ourselves and anything that goes against that is bound to be seen as the broadcaster’s fault. I’m the original floating voter and as a result I perhaps don’t notice political bias as much as someone with strong allegiances to one particular party. I think the BBC do a good job news wise but I do watch all the five main channels including RT and Al Jazeera when news is thin on the ground.

Finally, as for wokeness if that’s actually a word, if some think it’s the most important thing in their lives then it’s only right it gets covered but whether the Beeb are driving the agenda or responding to it is open to debate.

Bill 😊

Your house, your choice Bill, but I would take issue with you about "no adverts on the BBC", they have adverts for themselves between every programme. I always wondered about the number of jingles Radio 1 played when it started, and then I realised it was trying to mimic the commercial stations it was trying to take over from, and of course they could only afford to play a certain number of records each hour. And BBC TV do the same thing. Perhaps they think the viewer needs a break between programmes? Another of my moans was always the news - They tell you what they're going to report, then they tell you the report, and finally they tell you what they've told you and now over to Thomas Shaffernacker for the weather. If they just told you the news they would have 20 minutes to broadcast something interesting to show instead. Anyway each to their own, I like being able to watch a variety of things when I want rather than what the Beeb thinks I should watch when they decide to show it.

Well of course there needs to be a couple of minutes between programs to put the kettle on or take a leak so it’s only natural for them to “advertise” future shows. At least they don’t do that every ten minutes or so like the commercial stations.

I suppose as you say it’s our choice. We have normal Freeview, Netflix and Amazon all of which we get for free by using my son’s account. We watch the occasional film online, but I certainly wouldn’t pay for them. I’ve also got Virgin, but I’ve never even bothered plugging their box in as it doesn’t give me much more than Freeview and two handsets is already one too many.

I’m quite happy to live my life in a linear sort of way where things come along that I’ve looked forward to watching. Having every program in the world available on demand is a bit like being given a six inch thick menu where there’s so much choice that you end up starving before you decide. It’s what a lot of people want but it’s not for me.

Anyway it’s Wednesday and it’s shopping time and I’ve found a place where I can shop, get a haircut, have a pint and get the car serviced on demand and it’s 24/7. Just need to work out what to do now with the rest of my life. 😊

Bill 😊

• Like 1

I think  Amazon Prime is a con . We don't pay for it , we piggy back off a family member but the amount of stuff you need to pay extra for is extortionate. A lot of these companies are producing bundles that have to be paid for though ,like Brit box & Discovery plus & there will be more to come , in order to watch repeats or items that have been covered in previous documentaries. The whole shooting match is turning into getting every penny out of viewers pockets.

Think your all missing the point, there's a so-called culture war in play and the BBC is leading the rest of the liberal Metropolitan Media with it's PC absurdity in promoting an agenda.   EG: How many old comedies are now banned or cut because they are considered "offensive" to faint hearted snowflakes or minorities ?    How many dramas are now recast to include ethnics in leading roles from the past ?   The advertising channels are just as bad, with almost every channel showing ethnics as if they form a majority of our population ?   It's an insidious form of propaganda designed to counter the normality of public perception, especially on the young and impressionable; it's no wonder they want to lower the voting age to enlarge the woke vote.   It is a recipe for division, rather than diversity and something our totalitarian enemies are now seizing on to divide and conquer.   The Unis of course are in the lead with this nonsense, the latest being Liverpool Uni, where they've changed the name of one of their halls from Gladstone to some obscure communist black rights activist's name.     😠 

16 hours ago, Davy51 said:

I don't actually consider the licence fee to be extortionate for a service that provides some of the best programmes around . Most of the tv we watch comes from BBC & ITV & the occasional netflix or prime programme or film . People are paying hundreds of pounds a month for channels showing rehashed films & 2nd rate tv progs so why should i complain about the tv licence ?

Plus all the BBC radio stations

Some of the humour we enjoyed in the past was on reflection quite racist although to be fair it was often the case that the person making the comments was usually portrayed as being a bit eccentric and OTT with their views. So, we could say that really, we were laughing at Alf Garnet rather than with him.

Maybe this extreme use of humour in the past did affect some people and could have ultimately given rise to what we’re seeing today. As I say whether the BBC’s to blame for actually creating the Woke culture or whether they’re just mirroring a change in public attitude is debatable but one things for sure and that’s that it getting all a bit silly.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1