Heated Argument Awaits -

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the greatest problems with all these earth saving ideas is that the man in the street can't afford them. As for the idea about using buses & walking more ,that is a great idea. We just

So the question is do we want to live in a democracy where we can disagree with the actions of the government and can vote them out if enough people disagree with their actions, or do we want to live

This so-called green agenda being spouted by all politicians in pursuit of a zero carbon future; appears to originate in the middle class dinner parties of our elites, and bares no relation to the cap

Posted Images

seems that we are going backwards as regard some things.

saw a pop up add on face ache for a "new" type of bicycle, it has a overhead frame and no pedals or chainand you propel it by running or jogging along. there is a suspended seat/harness and it is designed to lessen the impact on the knee when you are jogging along.

a modern day take on the  dandy horse bicycle.

The next big recycling project as people flock back to the gyms to use the expensive equipment there instead of at home.

I will stick with my crown green bowling, if it was good enough for Francis Drake it's good enough for me.

I've always thought that people would be better walking or cycling to and from the gym rather than driving there (they seem to have big car parks), turn around at the door and not bother going in.

• Like 1

Indoor exercise machines have never appealed to me and I prefer to just keep myself busy doing stuff around the house and garden for most of my exercise. And as for people who pay money to get a work out, well they could just as easy find some old persons garden and pay them to let you cut their lawn for them.

Back on the heat pump thing. Yesterday I filled in an online survey thing to see how much it would cost and was quite surprised that the estimate was £5,500 for the entire job after government grants. I won’t be changing anytime soon though as the boilers only a couple of years old and in any case, I’m only paying £46/month for gas and electric combined so there’d be little if any savings.

It'd be interesting to see what the bills of others here are.???

Bill 😊

think on average over a year i pay about £100 a month for gas and electric. no central heating just gas fires which bumps the bills up over the colder months. all lighting is led and appliances are all modern so supposedly energy efficient.

That’s what we were paying for a while but they said we’d been overpaying and dropped it to £20 for a year which seemed a bit crazy. Hopefully now they seem to have it right but it still seems cheaper than what I’d have expected it to be as we're not especially careful about saving energy.

Bill 😊 

I pay about £75 a month for dual fuel for my 3 bed semi-detached.

I wouldn’t mind having a go at generating some home-grown power, not to save money or the planet but just for the interest of doing it. I saw something recently where a guy took an electric fan from a scrap car’s radiator, bolted on some bigger home-made blades and generated 1 point 21 jigawatts of power.

The cost of buying anything new to generate power at home just isn’t worth it so the trick is to try and come up with ways to do it that doesn’t cost anything. I’m currently working with two bean cans and a length of old hosepipe to create a fusion reactor but not having much success.

Bill 😊

It wasn't Doc Brown powering his Delorean back to the future was it?

Perhaps they could draw power from these Peloton bikes ?

Yes but only if I could do a sneaky tap into next doors Peloton. I much prefer to sit and watch the power being generated rather than having to do it myself.

Heard another thing on telly this morning, this time about installing insulation. It told the story of a couple who invested £7K having their loft insulated. They had it all done professionally and were incredibly pleased with the effectiveness but when they came to sell their house a few years later, the house was valued at zero and no one would offer a mortgage because it was impossible to see the condition of all the rafters in the roof. The couple then had to pay an additional £3k to get it all taken out.

How bonkers is that?

Bill 😊

It hasn't "revealed" anything, it's a well known fact that we've been importing about 20% of our electric from France for years, mainly because they have loads of nuclear powered stations.

It’s most likely to be for economic or even environmental reasons rather than us not having enough power ourselves. Most of the French supply is constant cheap nuclear from aging plants and sometimes they have too much. Fortunately, we have more variable sources, so we just turn off some of our relatively expensive gas fired stations and buy their excess at knock down rates.  

To some extent, the French have shot themselves in the foot by employing so much nuclear as it actually prevents them from getting more involved in greener alternatives. Wind and solar are great but their outputs are all over the place and we have to turn the gas up and down. The old French reactors are designed to run flat out all the time so can’t respond like gas, so they have to dump the excess. Silly Frenchies.

Bill 😊

I’m not sure how true this is but I read somewhere that the French actually pay some of their larger industries to use power in order to soak up the excess the nuclear stations generate because it’s not possible to turn them down when power isn’t needed, and we also help them by turning down our gas and importing their excess.

We have enough flexible sources of power unlike the French, who at times have too much, so, if they get funny about the Channel Islands, our response could be that we stop accepting their excess and force them to shut down stations and they won’t be happy about that.

Nuclear power's good but in this instance, it appears you can have too much of a good thing.

Bill 😊

Well it’s a bit of a rubbish day out there today for both us and the power industry. No wind and no sun. the gas is running flat out and they’ve even had to fire up a coal burning plant to top us up. Just goes to show how unreliable our green energy can be. It doesn’t have to be the middle of winter for things to run short.

Bill 😊

1 hour ago, Observer II said:

Seems there's an option we've ignored - Geo-Thermal.    :unsure:

Good thinking Obs - apart from the drawbacks like having to drill down a mile or more with the danger of earth tremors similar to fracking. Do you think that the anti-fracking brigade are going to allow this without a fight?

https://www.power-technology.com/features/what-is-geothermal-energy/

That's a good idea! Get an old coal mine, dig out the coal and burn it in a power station. Eureka!

Think I saw a program about a town in America where a disused coal mine was burning deep underground and had been burning like that for many years. Maybe Obs's idea involved using it for a giant air source heat pump with the warmer air at depth providing the heat. It doesn’t seem to me it’d be that effective and calling it geothermal is a bit of a stretch.

Back on the heat pump thing, I thought the plan to move everyone off fossil fuel heating was just some kind of green UK proposal but according to what they said on the radio this morning, the plan to outlaw production and sales of new gas boilers from 2025 is being done worldwide. Can’t see that happening here let alone in places like America with all their free shale gas sources. And why if this is the plan are the government offering grants on new gas boilers?

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

I thought it was going to be 2035 bill but i need to get my glasses cleaned.

The main reason for the grants is to get rid of the surplus of  old boilers that were stockpiled for when gas prices dropped due to north sea gas being found probably.

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, Bill said:

Think I saw a program about a town in America where a disused coal mine was burning deep underground and had been burning like that for many years. Maybe Obs's idea involved using it for a giant air source heat pump with the warmer air at depth providing the heat. It doesn’t seem to me it’d be that effective and calling it geothermal is a bit of a stretch.

Back on the heat pump thing, I thought the plan to move everyone off fossil fuel heating was just some kind of green UK proposal but according to what they said on the radio this morning, the plan to outlaw production and sales of new gas boilers from 2025 is being done worldwide. Can’t see that happening here let alone in places like America with all their free shale gas sources. And why if this is the plan are the government offering grants on new gas boilers?

Bill 😊

Bill, it's not "my idea" - it's a Gov proposal according to news reports.    :rolleyes: