What a Waste

Bill

I’ve just been watching some telly and trying out an unwanted bottle of whiskey that someone gave me. It was Glenfiddich but the bottle didn’t quite look the same as those I normally see on the shelves, so I Googled it and amazingly it’s £48 a bottle. What a waste on someone like me who can’t tell the difference between this 15-year-old special reserve malt and Tesco’s cheapo own brand. I almost feel a bit guilty drinking it. 😊

Bill 😊

• Haha 1

Best i have is a miniature Glenlivet, which came with its own glass and three granite cooling cubes to chill the drink without diluting it.( good job i checked as thought they were sugar cubes until i read the box they all came in. Nearly tried to eat one)...🤭

Do have three bottles of grouse as well. normal, dark and black. The latter two are very tasty but i have to limit my intake as they do make me hiccup violently when the drink hits the stomach. (Still a little suffering is worth it)....🥃

• Haha 1

I think that as in the case of wine drinkers there can be whisky snobbery as well .

Where the more you pay the better the quality and taste.

Now this may have a bit of truth at the very bottom of the scale ,But then it all comes down to personal taste.

When I was working I was fortunate enough to be the recipient of many expensive Scotch brands at Christmas and so I can say that without fear or favour there are some really poor whiskies hiding in very expensive bottles I was amazed sometimes at the downright poor quality disguised by beautiful labels of faraway Scottish islands or magnificent Reindeer in a wonderous setting.Many times I had pulled the cork in great anticipation only to discover something more fitting for the paint stripping counter at B&Q !!

I have to admit i am more of a shandy person myself.

I seem to have been given the reputation as a whisky/whiskey drinker. This came about as a self defense mechanism when i was younger. There is only so much beer a body can drink in a session and so after a while i started on whisky and coke, meant that i could pace myself better and also meant my mates would include me out of a round or two. (always the cheapest whisky with the coke as it was a mixed drink no point in paying for a single malt when a bells was just as good)

odd thing is never got a taste for other spirits.

Brandy was considered as a medicine by my family,any illness was treated with a hot brandy with honey in it.

Rum was used for christmas and wedding cakes,along with port and sherry.

Gin to me tasted like gripe water.

Same with me Sid. The family somehow have got it into their heads I’m a whiskey drinker but to be honest I’m not that fond of any of the hard stuff. I like a social pint once a week but beer from a bottle during the lockdown just isn’t the same, so I don’t really bother that much. My last drink of the evening these days is a cup of tea after my meal at about 5.30 which means I’m not up and down peeing half of the night.

Bill 😊