Local Outbreak

Bill

It seems we’ve had a covid outbreak at one of the local schools in the Callands area with 14 kids testing positive. Not quite sure if this was just from the quick lateral flow which can sometimes give a false result, but it was enough for years 5 and 6 ( 9 to 10 years old) to be sent home to isolate.

The council spokesperson said that the schools were doing everything right and in all probability the outbreak was due to parents not following the proper rules and allowing their kids to mix socially and this resulted in huge amounts of complaints from the parents. I’d have thought with such a narrow group that it would be relatively easy to work out how this came about. Did they all sit together at school or are they all mates that play together? Either way it shows that kids at school can get it and possibly pass it on to their families.

Listening to all the complaints, everyone seems to have taken it personally but nobody can deny the fact that we all see kids out in groups on a regular basis so this could be the root cause rather than a fault within the school's measures.

Bill 😊

19 minutes ago, Observer II said:

So the kids go home and give it to the rest of the family ?  Does the family self isolate ?  😷

Yes, that is what the DfE guidance says. If someone gets symptoms after a positive LFD test, whether the the secondary school child or a teacher at any school or a member of the family the 10 days isolation starts again.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

It seems we’ve had a covid outbreak at one of the local schools in the Callands area with 14 kids testing positive. Not quite sure if this was just from the quick lateral flow which can sometimes give a false result, but it was enough for years 5 and 6 ( 9 to 10 years old) to be sent home to isolate.

The council spokesperson said that the schools were doing everything right and in all probability the outbreak was due to parents not following the proper rules and allowing their kids to mix socially and this resulted in huge amounts of complaints from the parents. I’d have thought with such a narrow group that it would be relatively easy to work out how this came about. Did they all sit together at school or are they all mates that play together? Either way it shows that kids at school can get it and possibly pass it on to their families.

Listening to all the complaints, everyone seems to have taken it personally but nobody can deny the fact that we all see kids out in groups on a regular basis so this could be the root cause rather than a fault within the school's measures.

Bill 😊

Your last point is absolutely true. Kids are making a mockery of social distancing round here.

On your question primary schools teachers get two LFD tests a week to do at home. Primary school children do not get tested in school so their positive tests will have been PCR tests, parents comments on Facebook confirm they were PCR tests. LFD tests do not have a high probability of false positives because of their design they are likely to give false negatives because they cannot detect low levels of antigen.

The parents who are complaining that they did nothing wrong, and I expect they are right, are clearly aggrieved however the quiet ones  not commenting are likely to be the ones who have not followed the necessary rules. It is good that finally the council have had the guts to name a place where there is a problem instead of the stupid "you are all doing vey well" line they have adopted up until now.

9 minutes ago, asperity said:

Out of these 14 "cases", how many are unwell?

As I pointed out primary children don't get LFD tests suitable for asymptomatic testing. The parents comments suggest that they got PCR tests and brought covid into the house. To get the tests they will have had to claim that they had symptoms when talking to the booking agent. So as far as the evidence we can see tells us they are or were all unwell. What is your point?

8 minutes ago, Confused52 said:

As I pointed out primary children don't get LFD tests suitable for asymptomatic testing. The parents comments suggest that they got PCR tests and brought covid into the house. To get the tests they will have had to claim that they had symptoms when talking to the booking agent. So as far as the evidence we can see tells us they are or were all unwell. What is your point?

I'm not making a "point", I'm asking a question.

I wasn’t aware that the younger ones weren’t tested the same but maybe it’s the case that if anyone in the class gets ill and then tests positive, the whole class have to get tested. I suspect that just one infected kid in school sitting and playing with others for so long could still spread the virus even if they were all wearing masks and following the precautions.

Yes I thought the same reading the comments, but nobody’s going to join in and admit to letting their kids run wild.

As for how many or how ill they got, possibly not many and not very much. Someone must have had something noticeable though to prompt the testing process that found 13 more cases.  I think we should all follow the good advice given by that dishwasher tablet maker on telly when they say "Keep away from children" :)

Bill 😊

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes same here. I’d bet if they did some antibody testing, they’d find that a lot of them have already had it back when it all started but didn’t register anything. Kids have to be pretty poorly before it affects their play activity and becomes noticeable. One of my grandkids got infected and didn’t know anything about it until he was taken to see the doctor with what his mum thought was a bad case of chilblains.

Thinking about this, I’m certain I’ve never been so free from all the little sniffles and coughs this past year and it probably because we don’t get to see the kids.

Bill 😊

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Bill said:

Yes same here. I’d bet if they did some antibody testing, they’d find that a lot of them have already had it back when it all started but didn’t register anything. Kids have to be pretty poorly before it affects their play activity and becomes noticeable. One of my grandkids got infected and didn’t know anything about it until he was taken to see the doctor with what his mum thought was a bad case of chilblains.

Thinking about this, I’m certain I’ve never been so free from all the little sniffles and coughs this past year and it probably because we don’t get to see the kids.

Bill 😊

Ah, the well known Covid toe! (It really is)

My son in law also caught Covid on Christmas day. He reckons he caught it from others in his workplace as nine others there were also found to be infected. He’s just turned fifty and said that for him it wasn’t that bad, just like a mild flu. He did his isolation bit and thankfully managed not to pass it on to the rest of his family. They got their presents at double arm’s length this year and their presents to us stayed in quarantine for a week before opening.

Bill 😊

On 3/23/2021 at 11:08 AM, Bill said:

Bill 😊

So this week we see a rise in positive tests after weeks of falling.

The culprit is of course as expected ; the return to school of pupils.

As was forecast to happen there is no need to panic.

But when the pubs get the green light I fear that is when we will see how well we are placed to slowly get back to normal.

I for one will be holding back for a while to see before I pop down to my local.

I just said exactly the same about returning to the pub on another forum. We seem to have hit bottom with the number of new infections and whether this was due to the schools going back or general complacency we'll probably never know. But if the death rate has dropped below the national average then something must be working for us.

I think a lot of people will be still be avoiding over crowded areas and keeping some degree of social distancing for some time yet.

Bill :)

• Upvote 1

I’ve just been reading a report On Warrington Worldwide about a group of about fifty or so kids gathering in Woolston park after school. The number of comments it generated where people were saying leave the kids alone, go out and fight crime etc was incredible. What chance do we have when kids refuse to comply with the law then appear to be supported by their peers.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bill said:

I’ve just been reading a report On Warrington Worldwide about a group of about fifty or so kids gathering in Woolston park after school. The number of comments it generated where people were saying leave the kids alone, go out and fight crime etc was incredible. What chance do we have when kids refuse to comply with the law then appear to be supported by their peers.

Bill 😊

I read those comments Bill and I thought they were utterly disgraceful and wrong. The kids on the park will (a) not have been wearing masks as at school (b) not have been social distancing and (c) were not all in the same class/bubble with a high probability. The risk of spreading it in the park will have been much higher than at school. It is this attitude that if applied to primary school children lets parents say that they are doing nothing wrong but covid spreads apace. 

• Upvote 2

This was my FB comment on what happened. 

This pandemic has highlighted just how many see the rule of law as being something optional that only applies to those who agree with it. Encouraging youngsters to believe that nobody should tell then what they can and can’t do will do nothing to help the future of our society.

I think it's natural for parents to try to protect their children but shielding them from the responsibilities and realities of life in their formative years can only lead to problems further on in their life. I seriously doubt this is how most of our parents would have reacted. 

Bill 😊

i know mine would have given me a clip round the ear for any wrong doing, and usually did.......👂....💪....😭

Police were feared or respected depending on if you had been naughty or not. The mere hint that the local bobby was on his way down the road  cleared the street of kids faster than a torrential rain storm.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Observer II said:

In't good old days. 😉

But they were in many many ways.

We even knew their names on the Latchford beat Bobbies Bellian and Dooley ... always on nodding terms with 98% of residents the other lot vanished at the first sighting ...

Life WAS better and easier to enjoy 

See the source image

• Upvote 1