Windows update HD20

1 hour ago, Latchford Locks said:

I've just spent 1 hour waiting for the update to download and install.

And it eventually did it.

But now I'm wondering what it has changed in my system ,because I blowed if I can spot any difference or changes  ???

Has anyone else updated their machine yet ?

The latest (October 2020) update to Windows 10 is called 20H2

The details of what has changed in it are here: What's new in Windows 10, version 20H2 - What's new in Windows | Microsoft Docs

The more noticeable things are shown in the turtorial link on the link above here: Get started with the October 2020 update to Windows 10 - Windows 10 October 2020 Update New Features Video Tutorial | LinkedIn Learning, formerly Lynda.com

A lot of the changes are to do with managed updates and other features that most normal users do not touch.

The main points are a noticeable update to the edge browser which will be mandatory from the next release 21H1 and changes to the start menu. The behaviour of the new version of edge is not an improvement to be fair but it is the price we pay for constant hacking.

Hope that helps

• Upvote 1

Have had several this week alone, i always ask first how Dave is as i have not heard from him for a long time and if he still works there.

That and ask them repeatedly to supply the error codes so that i can check them out.

Finally if they have not hung up i ask them if my macintosh computer would show the same errors as a windows one.

If that does not work then i start to engage in a lengthy description about whatever is aching at the time.

So far i have managed to keep one occupied for seven and a half minutes almost a personal best.

• Haha 3

That's all well and good Obs except that a large number of scam calls come from spoofed numbers, i.e. the number you see on caller i.d. isn't the real number and the scammer changes the number every time he/she calls you.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/problems/tackling-nuisance-calls-and-messages/phone-spoof-scam

I just answer them when they bother to ring.

Had one at quarter past eight this morning. Not a clue what it was about.

me:hello.......

voice at other end: hello am i speaking to mrs sid...... Now don't get me wrong but even at that time of the morning i could never sound like mrs sid. especially as i had not long emerged from hibernation and not touched my first cup of coffee. in fact i sound more like Lee Marvin with a bad cold.

Me: no this is mr sid...

voice: it is about your phone number.....

Me :Yes what about it......

Dialing tone from handset, scratch head, replace phone in charger.

Mrs sid : who was that on the phone...

Me: not a clue...🤔

On 3/18/2021 at 10:02 AM, Observer II said:

My IT advisor has just arranged my new BT account, which includes a provision for blocking cold calls,  after each call, you input the relevant number and BT block it.  😉

Most of the spoofed calls come from unallocated number so BT will no doubt also be blocking unallocated ranges of numbers. Ofcom publish the allocated ranges weekly and the spammers just choose unused blocks and rotate the numbers. Stopping these calls takes a more complex approach where callers have to verify they are legitimate users of the number provided. My preferred solution is just blocking calls from abroad on fixed lines bless you opt to receive them. Even stopping carrying calling line numbers from abroad would be a start then you could ignore calls with unavailable numbers automatically as a customer option. That wasn't legal whilst we were in the EU but it could be done now.

• Upvote 1

If my landline ever rings, I know it must be a scam call because nobody on this planet knows it. We only use the mobiles these days and I can’t even remember when either of us last had a scam call or bogus text.

Ringing landlines is probably a cheaper option for the scammers.

Bill 😊

most of my mobile calls are from life insurance review firms, warranty renewal firms, energy swap firms or mrs sid wondering how long i will be out of the house for and when i will be back for a brew. I am almost certain it is because she worries about me, i mean what other reason could there be....🤔.....👩‍❤️‍💋‍👨

The caller ID number can be made to show as a mobile even if it's from Sid's mate Dave on a landline from India. 

There are valid reasons for changing the displayed numbers and my business routinely uses this kind of technology to prevent our clients ringing the personal mobiles of our staff. Also if a taxi driver needs to speak directly to a customer, the call from his mobile is routed by the system and displays the landline number of the taxi company, allowing them to know it’s not a scam call. Neither the customer or the driver ever know each others personal number.

This kind of technology has almost exploded recently due to the amount people working from home. It allows the use a home landline but changes the number to that of the business and so prevents customers ringing your private home or mobile number.

The bottom line is that the number displayed on your phone can be meaningless.

Bill 😊

4 hours ago, Bill said:

The bottom line is that the number displayed on your phone can be meaningless.

Most of the calls i get are meaningless as well.

Last call i had was from somebody saying they were conducting a moray poll on how i use the bank "especially with the current situation". Not sure if it was a scam or not but certainly raised a few suspicions on my part. I pleaded too busy and left it at that.

22 hours ago, Bill said:

If my landline ever rings, I know it must be a scam call because nobody on this planet knows it. We only use the mobiles these days and I can’t even remember when either of us last had a scam call or bogus text.

Ringing landlines is probably a cheaper option for the scammers.

Bill 😊

Same here.

Nobody I know knows my number.

I have the land line because Virgin insist it's included in my package but costs me nothing.

Maybe ; as it's never part of my itemised bill.

And it's there if ever my mobile broke I suppose.